Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For some time I have been trying to find the source of some sort of shimmy / vibration on my 2019 V6 42k miles. I feel it on the body of the jeep. Today I found that my rear drive axles have quite a play. Below are links to videos I recorded today. Both sides in my opinion show extensive movement, but driver side is much more pronounced. Can someone with diff experience take a look at them and tell me if that is what it should be or bearings are bad? I am going to get appointment with my dealer hopefully later on this week, but as usually I am afraid they will tell me that everything is up to spec.

Driver side

Passenger side

Thank you.

· Registered
2019 Grand Cherokee 3.6 Limited.
209 Posts
Checked your video's and the play looks normal to me, my 19 seems similar and I don't have any shaking. A bad C.V. joint could cause a shimmy but I don't believe on our WK2's that this is a common concern. Have you had your wheel's balanced?

· Registered
775 Posts
You can also take a look at you’re driveshaft going to the rear, they have a thick rubber gasket that mounts up between the rear differential and the driveshaft and there is a carrier/support mount forward that can go bad. Either one of these will give you vibrations if they are bad. So far as your video’s that amount of slack is pretty much normal. Mac

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Checked your video's and the play looks normal to me, my 19 seems similar and I don't have any shaking. A bad C.V. joint could cause a shimmy but I don't believe on our WK2's that this is a common concern. Have you had your wheel's balanced?
Yes, wheels were road force balanced twice already. All CV joints visually look ok, any suggestions how to check them more? I don't hear any grinding or clicking noise when turning.

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You can also take a look at you’re driveshaft going to the rear, they have a thick rubber gasket that mounts up between the rear differential and the driveshaft and there is a carrier/support mount forward that can go bad. Either one of these will give you vibrations if they are bad. So far as your video’s that amount of slack is pretty much normal. Mac
My 2019 doesn't have that rubber adapter between rear diff and drive shaft, there is a CV joint like front drive shaft has. How to determine if that center support may be falling? There is not much room around to see all of it, but visually it doesn't look cracked or torn apart.

· Registered
775 Posts
My 2019 doesn't have that rubber adapter between rear diff and drive shaft, there is a CV joint like front drive shaft has. How to determine if that center support may be falling? There is not much room around to see all of it, but visually it doesn't look cracked or torn apart.
You should be able to reach up and see I feel you have any sloppy movement out the stabilizer/carrier mount. Some movement isn’t normal anything more than being able to make it bang back and forth is usually too much. Some flex but no clunking or movement back and forth more than 1/2” an inch or so. Mac

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You should be able to reach up and see I feel you have any sloppy movement out the stabilizer/carrier mount. Some movement isn’t normal anything more than being able to make it bang back and forth is usually too much. Some flex but no clunking or movement back and forth more than 1/2” an inch or so. Mac
Thanks, I will check this.

· Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2016 Summit Hemi 230mm rear diff with the electronic locker. I have been chasing a vibration that starts at 50 and goes upwards of 80mph. It has a rhythm to it that you can hear and feel very well when putting your hand on the center console. Does this on jack stands with no wheels also. So its not a wheel tire issue. :-> I have replaced both rear cv axles, rear drive shaft. As of tonight I had a couple Jeep mechanic friends look at it also. Seems you can feel the vibration the worst on the rear sway bar. Its also evident on the top right bolt that holds the diff in the bushing. Yes the bushing is fine. I think it is something wrong in the differental it self. We are going to dig into it more this Friday.

· Registered
2,587 Posts
I have a 2016 Summit Hemi 230mm rear diff with the electronic locker. I have been chasing a vibration that starts at 50 and goes upwards of 80mph. It has a rhythm to it that you can hear and feel very well when putting your hand on the center console. Does this on jack stands with no wheels also. So its not a wheel tire issue. :-> I have replaced both rear cv axles, rear drive shaft. As of tonight I had a couple Jeep mechanic friends look at it also. Seems you can feel the vibration the worst on the rear sway bar. Its also evident on the top right bolt that holds the diff in the bushing. Yes the bushing is fine. I think it is something wrong in the differental it self. We are going to dig into it more this Friday.
Hi there. If you need some support with this concern from our team while it's at the dealership, send a private message or call Jeep Cares at 877-426-5337.

Kate
Jeep Cares

1 - 9 of 9 Posts