Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I’ll be leasing my first Jeep next week. It will be the 2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude.

The majority of Jeeps I have seen have the regular halogen headlights. I really do not like them.

i asked my salesman about getting one with upgraded lights, he said they will be the bi xenon headlights.

are these a noticeable difference compared to the halogen lights? Where can I find a picture of what these look like?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2019 Grand Cherokee Altitude
87 Posts
My ‘19 Altitude came with halogen lamps. I converted over to OEM bi Xeon lamps. They are a vast improvement over the halogen lamps. The 2020 Altitude must be ordered with the premium lighting group to get them. They will look like this:

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My ‘19 Altitude came with halogen lamps. I converted over to OEM bi Xeon lamps. They are a vast improvement over the halogen lamps. The 2020 Altitude must be ordered with the premium lighting group to get them. They will look like this:
thanks! This is exactly what I was looking for.

·
Registered
15 Grand Cherokee
364 Posts
I saw someone on my facebook groups that had ordered a brand new Altitude and was able to order it with the upgraded lighting pakcage and some other extra's . Its nice they allow you to have the choice now.

·
Registered
GC TH
436 Posts
You definitely want the HID’s. Why anything still comes with halogen vs HID or LED, I don’t understand.

Reactions: CHeYeNNe71

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello All, doing some searching on this same project. Just got a 2020 Altitude. Where can I purchase the OEM bi Xenon lamps? And install instructions?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Check out MHFautolighting.com. They sell the lamps and conversion wiring harness. Also check out the for sale section of this forum as I’ve seen some recently posted there for sale.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Premium lighting is a $800 option. Adding those lights and harness after the fact will probably cost closer to $1,500.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Yes this is true but if he already has an Altitude with halogen lamps he has to pay to play. Premium lighting on Laredo trims only became available for the 2020 model year so I had no choice when I bought my ‘19.

·
Registered
85 Posts
If you didnt get the Bi Xenon DRL headlights when you purchased your WK2 then it will never be worth it to add them later. Every shyster that has access to scrapped vehicles is selling them on ebay for insane prices. Most of them are $400+ and were repaired after being damaged. I wouldnt trust the repair nor the longevity of them. Also, even if you do blow the $800+ on a junked out set you need to buy a harness kit from one of only a handfull of people who make them who also charge extremely outrageous prices for them.

Long story short, dont waste your time or money. Just upgrade to the projector lenses if you dont already have them and order some HIDs. I spent $200 on my HIDs (upgraded fogs as well) and I am extremely happy with them.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I went down this road myself as these lights were not a separate option when I purchased in 2018 (could not justify the $5k Lux II premium).

Although the upgraded lights looked great, the output increase was marginal and I had some flickering issues that drove my OCD up a wall. I eventually sold the setup and upgraded to the OEM LED fog lights. The output of those alone was more then enough to satisfy my craving for light and they only cost $150.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hello All, doing some searching on this same project. Just got a 2020 Altitude. Where can I purchase the OEM bi Xenon lamps? And install instructions?
Check out MHFautolighting.com. They sell the lamps and conversion wiring harness. Also check out the for sale section of this forum as I’ve seen some recently posted there for sale.
19Sting what was the total cost of the head lights, bulbs, and installation itemized if you do not mind? Does one get the bulbs at the same website? SUch a drastic improvement...

I am looking at 2020 altitude one with premium lighting package (but it also has QD2) the other no lighting package but it has QD1 which I much prefer for my driving style...

The one with lights and QD2 is looking like it will cost me about $1800 more due to the dealer not willing to discount

What are your thoughts on the trade off and having to take QD2 to get the light from the factory for the additional cost? and if you have any feeling on either of the 4wd systems that would be great as well.

I really want the lighting package whether I get it from the factory or add it later

·
Registered
2020 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
118 Posts
I wasn’t able to get the light option group in my market without placing a custom order which negated all the discounts on what was in stock. So I figured I’d try swapping the halogen bulbs out and glad I did. I got a set of HIDs for the low beams. In the stock projector housing they are great. The cutoff was identical to stock and they aligned perfectly. I also got a set of LEDs for the high beams and they are fantastic. I took it back to the dealer where we compared it to the light group option that comes standard on a different trim and the new bulbs put the factory lighting to shame. I ended up investing in 2 sets of HIDs to get the right color. The LEDs were listed at 6000k so I ordered the same in the HIDs. After install the HIDs were a little bluer. I went back and ordered a set at 5000k and that was a much close match to the LEDs.

·
Registered
87 Posts
19Sting what was the total cost of the head lights, bulbs, and installation itemized if you do not mind? Does one get the bulbs at the same website? SUch a drastic improvement...

I am looking at 2020 altitude one with premium lighting package (but it also has QD2) the other no lighting package but it has QD1 which I much prefer for my driving style...

The one with lights and QD2 is looking like it will cost me about $1800 more due to the dealer not willing to discount

What are your thoughts on the trade off and having to take QD2 to get the light from the factory for the additional cost? and if you have any feeling on either of the 4wd systems that would be great as well.

I really want the lighting package whether I get it from the factory or add it later
All in I probably have $2,000.00 in the conversion to the OEM HID’s. This was purchase cost of the lamps & wiring harness from MHF Autolighting. The lamps from MHF come with bulbs but I changed mind out for Osram CBI’s. Included in the price is also OEM led fogs lamps I purchased off eBay. I installed them myself so I have no installation cost. For me it was worth it to go this route as I preferred the OEM look and the LED daytime running lamps. Not cheap by any means but I’m happy with the performance which to me was a vast improvement over the OEM halogen lamps.

·
Registered
15 Grand Cherokee
364 Posts
For what its worth i also swapped my halogen lights from my 2015 Altitude to those from a 2017 GC with the Lux 2 package. i got my lights from ebay with very minor issues and were tested to work with the agreement to send back if they didnt. My wire harness came from MHF at a cost of 499. However the wire harness does make the lights work exactly as factory with zero issues to date. I installed them in February 19. Also i have VLED Led's in the fogs lights and upgraded the DS3 bulbs to Osram CBB. So all in all for me about 15-1600. Im completely happy with the change in visibility and also the look. I was really after the look of all the other jeeps during the day with the ribbon drl , i loved that part, and also the led turn signals. I would do it again if i had to .

·
Registered
118 Posts
Forgot to mention the entire bulb swap was less then $250 not including the cost of the extra set of HIDs (extra $100+) I have sitting here.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Forgot to mention the entire bulb swap was less then $250 not including the cost of the extra set of HIDs (extra $100+) I have sitting here.
Can you list the bulb part numbers, where you got them, etc? I have seen all the threads about converting to OEM HID (2018 Altitude). I do not want to pay thousands just for the look. I plan to run switchback turn signals for my DRLs.

Thanks,
CC

·
Registered
118 Posts
Can you list the bulb part numbers, where you got them, etc? I have seen all the threads about converting to OEM HID (2018 Altitude). I do not want to pay thousands just for the look. I plan to run switchback turn signals for my DRLs.

Thanks,
CC
These are the HIDs for the low beams. You'll want the cancellers. I also went with the 55w.
There are the LEDs for the high beams. Again you'll want cancellers. I selected 6000k as it's the closest to white of the color selections offered. My opinion they are more like 4500-5000k and perferct. I also went with the 45w kit.
I thought about switchbacks for DRLs but in the 2020 Trailhawk the lowbeam lights are the DRLs. My only option was to just turn them off in the radio (uconnect) settings. I couldn't find any other settings to use the park or turn signals as DRLs.

·
Registered
118 Posts

Thanks,
CC
I just caught the mention of 2018. Low beams are the same (H11), but I think your high beams are a 9005? If so, you'll want this for the LEDs high beams. Please double check before ordering anything from anyone.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I just caught the mention of 2018. Low beams are the same (H11), but I think your high beams are a 9005? If so, you'll want this for the LEDs high beams. Please double check before ordering anything from anyone.
Thanks for the info.

What are the cancellers? Is that to take care of any power/flicker issues? I have AppCar to reprogram, as necessary.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts