Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2020 WK2 5.7L Limited X | K&N CAI
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys -

New to the forum. Looks like a ton of content on here - looking forward to it. I bought a new Grand Cherokee from a dealer here in New England about a month ago and it's already been back to the dealer a few times in the first 1k miles. Mostly minor stuff that I can live through while they fix (glove box falls open, tailgate doesn't shut properly, windshield washer fluid "tank" came with a huge hole in it) but there is one where I want to make sure I'm not crazy.

The one I'm curious/worried about is relative to the transmission. I noticed it immediately when I picked the car up and even drove it immediately back to the dealer after less than 1 mile. Whenever I get above ~15 mph, when decelerating to a stop (coming to stop sign, red light, etc), the transmission has a subtle jump during the downshifts at 8-9 mph and 4-5 mph. It is not an aggressive jerk but it is noticeable 100% of the time. When I took it back to the dealer on the day I bought it, the service manager came back out with me on the road and also noticed it. He felt that it wasn't normal and we turned around. After a few minutes back at the dealer, he told me it was in fact normal and that as the computer learned my driving habits, it would go away after 500 or so miles. I now have 1,500 miles on it and it's still there, same as the day I bought it. I had to take it back to the same dealer to fix the washer fluid tank and I asked them again to take a look at the transmission given the issue wasn't gone at 500 miles like they said. I had to leave the Jeep for the day and they took it for a 17 mile ride to confirm that nothing was wrong with it! This time they told me that they meant to say 5,000 miles, not 500.

For a number of other reasons (including the 17 mile situation above), I decided I was done with this dealer and took it to another one today. They took it out for a ride (without me) and said they didn't notice the jerk - they did echo the same sentiment that the transmission/engine is still in "adaptive mode" for the first 3-4k miles where it does learn my habits and maybe/hopefully it'll go away at 3-4k. I'm not crazy on the jerk - while subtle, everyone who has ridden with me has acknowledged it.

I wanted to check in to see if anyone else has had this issue with the 5.7L V8 in the 2020s. Anyone have this or have any insight?? I appreciate it!

·
Registered
GC TH
490 Posts
They aren’t necessarily wrong. If they had the power disconnected for any reason, it could lose your learned habits. I would drive it for a little while and see if it changes. If not, then they may need to flash the TCM. FYI, any time the dealer has it, I always ask them to make sure the TSB’s are all current. There isn’t one for the trans on the newer ones (that I’ve seen), but there is one from last year for the 3 different engines.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They aren’t necessarily wrong. If they had the power disconnected for any reason, it could lose your learned habits. I would drive it for a little while and see if it changes. If not, then they may need to flash the TCM. FYI, any time the dealer has it, I always ask them to make sure the TSB’s are all current. There isn’t one for the trans on the newer ones (that I’ve seen), but there is one from last year for the 3 different engines.
Thanks for the input sir. Not gonna lie, not sure what you mean by TSBs, but he did tell me they checked everything mechanical as well as the computer to make sure everything was set up correctly and no updated were needed. I guess it's a waiting game for now - hopefully the downshifts will become smoother eventually. I certainly didn't notice it when test driving the Hemi (different color than the one I actually bought). Fingers crossed...

·
Registered
2020 Trailhawk HEMI, Granite Chrystal Metallic, Luxury Group, Lighting Group, ProTech II Package
53 Posts
Are you running in Sport mode by chance? Mine runs like you describe in Sport but not in other modes.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Thanks for the input sir. Not gonna lie, not sure what you mean by TSBs, but he did tell me they checked everything mechanical as well as the computer to make sure everything was set up correctly and no updated were needed. I guess it's a waiting game for now - hopefully the downshifts will become smoother eventually. I certainly didn't notice it when test driving the Hemi (different color than the one I actually bought). Fingers crossed...
TSB = Technical Service Bulletins issued to dealers to apply to specific vehicles improve driveability or correct problems that develop usually after a model is in production. Here are some examples: 2011+ Jeep Grand Cherokee TSB's(technical service...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are you running in Sport mode by chance? Mine runs like you describe in Sport but not in other modes.
Nope just normal. I may actually put it in sport mode and see what that does - I haven't thought to try that yet (focusing on the 2 last downshifts).

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys -

New to the forum. Looks like a ton of content on here - looking forward to it. I bought a new Grand Cherokee from a dealer here in New England about a month ago and it's already been back to the dealer a few times in the first 1k miles. Mostly minor stuff that I can live through while they fix (glove box falls open, tailgate doesn't shut properly, windshield washer fluid "tank" came with a huge hole in it) but there is one where I want to make sure I'm not crazy.

The one I'm curious/worried about is relative to the transmission. I noticed it immediately when I picked the car up and even drove it immediately back to the dealer after less than 1 mile. Whenever I get above ~15 mph, when decelerating to a stop (coming to stop sign, red light, etc), the transmission has a subtle jump during the downshifts at 8-9 mph and 4-5 mph. It is not an aggressive jerk but it is noticeable 100% of the time. When I took it back to the dealer on the day I bought it, the service manager came back out with me on the road and also noticed it. He felt that it wasn't normal and we turned around. After a few minutes back at the dealer, he told me it was in fact normal and that as the computer learned my driving habits, it would go away after 500 or so miles. I now have 1,500 miles on it and it's still there, same as the day I bought it. I had to take it back to the same dealer to fix the washer fluid tank and I asked them again to take a look at the transmission given the issue wasn't gone at 500 miles like they said. I had to leave the Jeep for the day and they took it for a 17 mile ride to confirm that nothing was wrong with it! This time they told me that they meant to say 5,000 miles, not 500.

For a number of other reasons (including the 17 mile situation above), I decided I was done with this dealer and took it to another one today. They took it out for a ride (without me) and said they didn't notice the jerk - they did echo the same sentiment that the transmission/engine is still in "adaptive mode" for the first 3-4k miles where it does learn my habits and maybe/hopefully it'll go away at 3-4k. I'm not crazy on the jerk - while subtle, everyone who has ridden with me has acknowledged it.

I wanted to check in to see if anyone else has had this issue with the 5.7L V8 in the 2020s. Anyone have this or have any insight?? I appreciate it!
Hey guys -

yes i have the same problem , my car is 2015 and i went to dealer many times and not solved till now, one time they said it needs software update, onther time said transmission oil was low, all these was waste of time.
if this problem solved in your car , please let me know.
tahnks

·
Registered
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
337 Posts
I only notice it after long drives on the highway. Like driving for hours at consistent speeds, think road trips, then going to get gas and once I slow down to about 30mph the trans clunks pretty rough. While it's annoying I know it's a ZF trans so it can take a beating and most likely something that will never get fixed physically but probably in a dealer update. Now if it happened all the time and around town I wouldn't hesitate to bring it in.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts