Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
2020 GC Trailhawk
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 · (Edited)
The Hat L8se needs a lot of air so I will be venting the kicks into the unibody. Lots of air to work with there. First I need to cut the rubber panel out and dig out all the foam. I’ll be cutting the same shape hole in the kick panels to vent. As you can see from the pics lots of air once you get the foam out of your way.

·
Registered
2020 GC Trailhawk
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
The parking brake took more time than I planned so I’ll have to wrap things up for the night and start back in after yard work tomorrow. A quick test fit to check clearance and all looks good so far.

·
Registered
2020 GC Trailhawk
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Didn’t get a lot of time to work on the install, most of the day was organizing the barn.

I dug out the rest of the foam for additional air space. It’s not completely clean but it doesn’t need to be. Topped off the charge on the aux battery to get it ready for the install. Also cut the opening in the kicks to get a basic shape and get them ready for baffles to seal the opening to the kick. Back at it tomorrow.

·
Registered
2020 GC Trailhawk
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Worked on the rings a little today. Also did a general trim in the glass and got them tacked together for now. Hopefully get some more time tomorrow to get the speaker cloth stretched and get my first coat of resin on.

I also made some headway with getting the video system working. A little more tweaking and I should be good to go.

·
Registered
403 Posts
What are you doing with the video system? I may have missed it but did you add rear screens or is it for something else?

·
Registered
2020 GC Trailhawk
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 · (Edited)
What are you doing with the video system? I may have missed it but did you add rear screens or is it for something else?
Yes I bought like new leather matching Trailhawk seats and console from a 2019 that had the screens, all the harnesses and the Blu-ray player. More so installed for the grandkids but will also be using for demo purposes when I compete. Pop in a thumb drive and let it play music videos...or something to that effect anyway. Lol Easy enough to switch tunes from front stage to surround.

I‘m still trying to get everything working. I suspect there is hardware I’m lacking. I will find that out on my next dealership visit. I‘m trying to keep all the oem functionality but if I need to I’ll rewire and modify to get it fully operational.

·
Registered
2020 GC Trailhawk
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
First coat of resin on the kicks and put them out in the sun to cure faster. I decided to remove the A pillar and possible get started on them. The new pillars I bought are for a ‘15-‘16. As you can see they are not identical so I’m going to have to modify them to fit. Unexpected and somewhat of a pain but doable. Gives me a chance to play with my Dremel. Lol

·
Registered
2020 GC Trailhawk
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Quick test fit then last coat of fiberglass on the kicks. Will try to get the high spots knocked down and general sanding tomorrow before I start body filler. Lots of yard work today so no time to work on A pillars. Maybe tomorrow.

·
Registered
2020 GC Trailhawk
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 · (Edited)
I did some research today and decided to hook the e-brake back up with an electronic actuator. A little pricey but I like the idea of having a push button e-brake. It doubles as a theft deterrent device as well.

I also have a friend that does safety testing for Jeep/Chrysler products that I am meeting with next week to assist me with the design of the A pillars. I hope by rethinking the design, if I happen to get into an accident and the A pillar airbags inflate anyone that is in the vehicle will not be in any danger, from the speakers anyway. He suggested creating a bracket that will allow them to rotate out and down and he will be helping me with the design. I’m not only maintaining my attention to detail with the install, but also trying to keep things as safe as possible.

·
Registered
2020 GC Trailhawk
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Today was garden day so I spent most of the day running the tiller. Have to keep the wife happy too. I did get a few minutes to remove the dowels and trim some of the excess glass. It will be raining the next couple of days so I hope to get some hours in.

·
Registered
2020 GC Trailhawk
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
I got my first coat of body filler on and sanded. Will get the second coat on tomorrow and see how it looks. Hopefully only need a skim coat after that.

·
Registered
403 Posts
What's the finishing plan for the kick panels? Do you plan on using carpet that matches the interior?

·
Registered
2020 GC Trailhawk
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
What's the finishing plan for the kick panels? Do you plan on using carpet that matches the interior?
I have both matching carpet and vinyl that is close to the existing interior. I think I’m going to try the vinyl first and see how it comes out. I’m cutting the factory kick to contour the new kicks and attach them together with CA glue and resin So I may attempt to wrap them all in one piece. May have to body fill some to get a smooth transition. I think that would look closer to an OEM finished product.

·
Registered
2020 GC Trailhawk
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 · (Edited)
Bought some 16 gauge metal plate to narrow the hole size in the metal to match the kicks. Also found some metal grille material to cover the holes prior to installing the kicks to keep critters from getting in.

·
Registered
2020 GC Trailhawk
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Another quick coat of body filler. Final coat tomorrow. Started modifications on the pillars.

·
Registered
2020 GC Trailhawk
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Spent most of the day picking up spring supplies...mulch, garden starters, etc...so not a lot of time to work on things. Garden gets planted tomorrow so once again limited time. Put on another coat tonight. I have some light touch up and some edge work to do but last full coat.

Reactions: MDK210

·
Registered
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4X4, 3.6L V6
47 Posts
Hats off to you. Doing nice work. I don't have the patience for this stuff anymore! ;)

·
Registered
2020 GC Trailhawk
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Hats off to you. Doing nice work. I don't have the patience for this stuff anymore! ;)
Thank you very much. I wish I had consistent time to work on it but life takes over sometimes. I look forward to rainy days. Lol I keep looking at what the end result will bring which is what keeps me going at it.

·
Registered
2020 GC Trailhawk
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
I got the OEM kicks cut and glued to the enclosures.

I drilled several holes in the plastic kicks And sanded them so that the resin/fiberglass would have a better bond between them.

I put a layer of glass along the seam bonding them together. I should only need one layer since I’m contouring them together on the front side with body filler.

·
Registered
2020 GC Trailhawk
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Trimmed excess glass and did a quick fit to make sure nothing warped and all looks good...

Put a coat of filler on the seam...

Basic sanding done. A little touch up and these are ready for milkshake and weights...

Reactions: MDK210
41 - 60 of 63 Posts