Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

2061 - 2080 of 2208 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
A family of 5 can still sit in the L with the 3rd row folded flat. You are assuming they have the captain chairs as the second row. IF they dont have the captain seats and have a bench seat for the second row, they have much more useable storage space.

If you are stating that most will take the captain chairs in second row in the L, then you must also assume they will not be heading to the airport 95% of the time and instead driving it and wanting the added luxury of going to a football game, school recital, kids games, etc.
Yes, I did assume most people would want 2nd row captains chairs, an “added luxury” befitting the L. Others might decide that the manipulation of 2nd row seating to create a pathway to the 3rd row better suits their needs. Priorities are matters of taste that can’t be disputed.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Long shot - any word on who makes the new air suspension? I know over in the Ram world they went from Continental to Bilstein and that helped a lot. My #1 complaint with my '19 Trailhawk and the horribly under-sprung and poorly dampened air suspension that pogo's down the highway, especially when towing. That would be enough for me not to consider the new WL74 TH if that isn't heavily revised. Only thing I see is the addition of electronic adaptive dampening which is a step in the right direction.

·
Super Moderator
9,306 Posts
Given this is an entirely new platform, it's likely that the QL will be enhanced from the previous generation. I don't recall any information ever being posted about a manufacturer and my impression is that the "WK2" version came along with the ML-350 platform it was built on. But perhaps I missed something...

·
Registered
40 Posts
I think your numbers are correct but somewhere you made a mistake in your analysis. A family of 4 would have more room behind the captain's chairs (with third row folded). There are other advantages, if the two people in the 2nd row are kids. They each have their own space and fight less. Grandparents can ride in the back, rarely as they do. The family dog can share loyalties by parking himself between the captain chairs in the 2nd row. A Dometic fridge may love that space as well as well as any Pelican case for the MSR or 12 ga of your choice.

The space, with a folded 3rd row is actually 47 cu ft in the WLL vs. the 36 cu ft in the WK2. In your example, you conveniently fold down 1/3 of the WK2 bench but don't allow for the same in the WLL. The fair comparison is 50+ vs 36 not 50 vs. 47. If you have captain's chairs in the second row, you have additional floor space, maybe enough for another slimmer carry-on or for 2 backpacks or other personal carry items between seats - without having to fold seats - and still carry 4 people. Not only is the WLL bigger behind the second row, but you can always fold its 2nd row as well if you configure it with a bench seat.
The raw published data -- without accounting for any cubby-hole storage that all SUVs have -- indicate that with 2 adults in the front and a captains chair layout with 2 kids in the back the cargo volume comparison is:

GCL 50 CF (3rd row completely down) vs. WK2 47 CF (partial 2nd row down)

Of course, I didn’t quantify any random space such as floor space under WK2’s folded seat(s) or use of the nice bins under its cargo floor (2 backpacks), etc. That wouldn’t be convenient, accurate, or meaningful.

·
The Negotiator
5,350 Posts
I have had no negative issues with my 2017 GC's 8HP/70 (5.7), only very positive ones.I shift manually during city driving. I find that in auto mode, with ECO off, the GC holds first gear a bit too long and sometimes second gear too, in low load conditions. This is just a programming issue. By the auto programming holding first gear a bit too long at times the shift into second can be felt in a way that my short shifting makes almost unnoticeable. Not what I would consider "mechanical harshness". I know this is "one in a row" statistically but the the Torqueflite/ZF 8HP auto trans in my '17 Overland is one of my favorite features of the GC. It's lightening fast in manual mode, has great gear ratio spreads, and is considered by many to be the best in the industry in its category. Of course I know from past posts that other members have not had my exact experience, especially in the WK2's earlier years.
The issues more so with the 2014 units were the V6. That's why I say my 2017 having the same exact issue. The V8/ZF engine/tranny combo seemed to be alot better.

Now back to the topic at hand...the WL...lol

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
The issues more so with the 2014 units were the V6. That's why I say my 2017 having the same exact issue. The V8/ZF engine/tranny combo seemed to be alot better.

Now back to the topic at hand...the WL...lol
Just to keep us going off topic, the ZF8 in the V6 3.6 is a different model to the ZF8 in the V8 5.7

·
Registered
21 Posts
This SRT rendering from motor1 seems a bit more realistic in my opinion.
View attachment 230844
Agree that this rendering looks more in line with what we have seen of the WL to date, but I would hope the front end of the SRT/Trackhawk is more sporty than this (similar to the one above, although that one is clearly WK2). That said, the blacked out trim in both renderings is a much better look than the chrome in my opinion.

·
The Negotiator
5,350 Posts
Just to keep us going off topic, the ZF8 in the V6 3.6 is a different model to the ZF8 in the V8 5.7
Yes we are fully aware of that.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I could deal with the SRT from Design Cars, but the beak on the Motor 1, someone needs to be fired if that is what they are going with, note if they had a few feedback sessions with longtime core customers, they would of got an earful on the "new" front fascia below the grill.

Reactions: JGCO_77 and msv5010

·
Rock N' Roll's Sophisticate/JG Co-Founder
Charger Hellcat
10,696 Posts
Hopefully when my lease ends on my 2020 WK2, there will be decent lease deals then. I am down to lease one. lol

·
Premium Member
17 Summit
493 Posts
I could deal with the SRT from Design Cars, but the beak on the Motor 1, someone needs to be fired if that is what they are going with, note if they had a few feedback sessions with longtime core customers, they would of got an earful on the "new" front fascia below the grill.
I agree! That gaping mouth is awful - this grille BS needs to end. BMW is ruining their cars with this enormous grille crap too

·
Registered
129 Posts
Long shot - any word on who makes the new air suspension? I know over in the Ram world they went from Continental to Bilstein and that helped a lot. My #1 complaint with my '19 Trailhawk and the horribly under-sprung and poorly dampened air suspension that pogo's down the highway, especially when towing. That would be enough for me not to consider the new WL74 TH if that isn't heavily revised. Only thing I see is the addition of electronic adaptive dampening which is a step in the right direction.
Don't have an answer but the description on the various websites indicates a 'revised' air suspension system to include dual tanks to allow front and rear to rise together. I suspect the air suspension will be much improved from the WK2. Big question is reliability long term - i am always expecting air suspension to have more and more costly repairs than a standard coil spring and shock, but you pay to play...

·
Registered
2014 Cherokee TH
7 Posts
When the 4xe comes out, I sure hope they don't impose a specific interior trim on it the way it looks like they're doing on the Wrangler. (black with blue trim). I want to be able to choose any available trim and just add the hybrid powertrain as if it were just another engine choice.

2061 - 2080 of 2208 Posts