Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

2601 - 2620 of 2847 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Grand Cherokee
66 Posts
I'm OK with this. I think it's being done properly. There was no rancor expressed by the Chief. He quite reasonably said, in my view at least, that times have changed and it wasn't intended to be offensive when it was chosen years ago and it's not being used in any offensive way now... but times have changed and perhaps this is a good time to be phasing it out.
I agree. A new company about to introduce a new model design might as well relabel their brand new vehicle with a brand new name.

Now is the perfect time to do it. They could call it: Persephone

Perhaps, they could even get some high profile person to endorse it. Has Bruce sobered up, yet?

·
Registered
2014 Summit 5.7 4wd 20" tires swapped to 18", added all skid plates
2,310 Posts
If Cherokee has outlived it's day maybe just substitute Wagoneer.
Grand Wagoneer Laredo
Grand Wagoneer Limited
Grand Wagoneer Overland
Grand Wagoneer Summit

·
Super Moderator
9,501 Posts
If Cherokee has outlived it's day maybe just substitute Wagoneer.
Grand Wagoneer Laredo
Grand Wagoneer Limited
Grand Wagoneer Overland
Grand Wagoneer Summit
'Cept those the Grand Waggie name is already in play for...the Grand Waggie.

Reactions: mrtracey and davewg

·
Premium Member
3,226 Posts
Can't ever be worse than rebranding a streaming service and calling it "Paramount Plus" with dumb super bowl commercials that no one understands... everyone knows CBS so yeah let's call it some dated obscure motion picture name instead that literally no one ever uses on a daily, weekly, monthly or yearly basis. Brilliant!

·
Super Moderator
9,501 Posts
Slap an XL on the end. Or BFT Grand Wagoneer BFT (Big Fu###ing Truck)
Both the Waggoneer and the Grand Waggoneer are larger than the JGC including the JGC-L. Their platform comes from RAM.

·
Registered
Subaru Legacy STIEVO
2,038 Posts
So many choices. So many evocative names. Some better than others :unsure:

Jeep would do well to resurrect a few older model names. That would be guaranteed to increase sales among at least 74.2 million Americans based on November 2020 statistics.
  • Patriot and
  • Great Patriot (Grand Patriot sounds...weird).
  • Liberty
  • Great Liberty
  • Commander
  • Great Commander
Or we could name them... after WW2 bombers like the Consolidated B-24 Liberator and B-32 Dominator though some might think it is a new item to add to their collection. Still, a solid way to increase sales at least for some demographics.
  • Liberator
  • Grand Liberator
  • Dominator
  • Grand Dominator

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
The Grand Cherokee L name doesn't sit right with me anyway. They should have made its appearance different from the WL74 and called it the Commander.

Reactions: mrtracey

·
Premium Member
3,226 Posts
Just took this in the condo parking garage. Quite the price difference. Wonder how the WL will look side by side too?
RR vs GC.jpg

·
Registered
10 Posts
So are we renaming it or how? And to what?

Chief Of Cherokee Nation Says It's Time For Jeep To Find Another Name For The Grand Cherokee

NOTE - I personally feel this renaming/removing along with the "cancel culture" is getting a bit out of hand. There's names or associations that are clearly derogatory (i.e. Washington Redskins) and others that basically appealing to the opposite emotions: majestic, upscale (the best of that particular brand) such as the Grand Cherokee. Someone, some day, will propose renaming the District of Columbia and Washington DC to something less vilified and not associated with someone who brought about slavery and disease or someone who owned slaves for half a century.
I mostly don’t care one way or the other what comes of this name controversy, I do see a bit of a comical spin here though. The Principal Chief of the Cherokee Nation is Chuck Hoskin Jr. so I looked up the origination of the name Chuck: Chuck is a boy's name of German origin. Pet form of Charles (Old German) "free man". Originally a nickname from a term for endearment (from Middle English "chukken", meaning "to chuck”). I’m not sure that people of German descent are going to want him to keep this name that he’s had all his life. This comment is in no way meant to offend, anger, or upset anyone.

·
Super Moderator
9,501 Posts
The Grand Cherokee L name doesn't sit right with me anyway. They should have made its appearance different from the WL74 and called it the Commander.
Commander is already in use for a China-specific Jeep vehicle.

·
Premium Member
3,226 Posts
I guess Chuck Hoskin Jr. decided he wanted to object to the Cherokee name once he saw the design of the WL...must not like it. :unsure:

·
Registered
Overland
101 Posts
I remember seeing information on the trim levels, options and pics of them, but have we seen anything about interior and exterior color options? If so, I apologize for not remembering/seeing it. Can someone point me in the right direction if this has been disclosed.

2601 - 2620 of 2847 Posts