Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
4301 - 4320 of 4382 Posts

·
Registered
21 JGC Overland and 18 Audi SQ5
160 Posts
Also, it really isn’t night and day by feel. That’s why I felt let down. It is definitely a different feel but it didn’t feel significantly quicker or have more pep than my 2011. I plan to go drive another one like I mentioned without the kiddos to really solidify my opinion. But that initial drive was a bit sluggish through the first gear for my taste. Hoping I just got a dud.
I feel that after 5K miles on our 21 Overland with V6 the engine/transmission run better, I thought Jeep was sluggish slightly but I think after the ECU/TCU adapted to my driving it is much stronger accelerating from a stop. Could just be me and not factual ?

·
Registered
2014 Summit 5.7 4wd 20" tires swapped to 18", added all skid plates
2,563 Posts
I feel that after 5K miles on our 21 Overland with V6 the engine/transmission run better, I thought Jeep was sluggish slightly but I think after the ECU/TCU adapted to my driving it is much stronger accelerating from a stop. Could just be me and not factual ?
The only thing I've ever noticed that seems real and not largely imaginary is the difference between low temperature operation and high temperature. In our summer heat it feels like vehicles lose 25 to 75 horsepower, depending on how much they started with. Big changes in humidity can also affect power. I know a lot of people say cars have more power after break in but I've had a lot of cars over the years and never noticed enough change to think it meaningful. YMMV.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I know next to nothing about suspensions, but it seemed a little unusual to me that the front suspension on the WL75 extended out over the tire. Is this common? It seems like this would be a limiting factor to running oversized tires. I apologize in advance for my ignorance. Any clarification would be appreciated.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I know next to nothing about suspensions, but it seemed a little unusual to me that the front suspension on the WL75 extended out over the tire. Is this common? It seems like this would be a limiting factor to running oversized tires. I apologize in advance for my ignorance. Any clarification would be appreciated.
View attachment 235525
looks like a typical ball joint, and yes the tire can’t be too much bigger because it would hit it. That’s typical. if you wanted bigger truck type tires you’d do a lift kit to give you more space

·
Premium Member
2017 Summit
8,865 Posts
I don't know what Jeep does, but on my "14 Overland V8 I never noticed the MDS kicking in until I hit 5,000. I didn't recognize the sound, but it didn't take much of a drive with a tech for him to identify it. I never noticed it on the '17 Summit, but that could have been because of the noise cancelling.

--

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
View attachment 235525
We've been talking about this in another thread. Do you have the measurement from the inside edge of the tyre to the outside edge of the ball joint? You might be able to get around it with a lower offset.

·
Registered
21 JGC Overland and 18 Audi SQ5
160 Posts
My Audi SQ5 has the upper ball joint positioned similarly, by increasing the length of the control arms you increase overall travel of the suspension system

·
Super Moderator
9,956 Posts
looks like a typical ball joint, and yes the tire can’t be too much bigger because it would hit it. That’s typical. if you wanted bigger truck type tires you’d do a lift kit to give you more space
Except unlike back in the body-on-frame days when a lift really meant something..."lifts" for these unibody vehicles only stretch the suspension. They do not materially improve the ability to handle larger tires. Current wheel well designs are also a factor as they wrap around the tires for better fuel economy whereas they were often flared more open in older vehicles "back in the day". In the WK2, ~32" is the practical limit without physical body modification, lift or not. With a pinch weld modification, one can squeeze ~33s on a "WK2" JGC. What's pictured above isn't likely going to be affected by any kind of suspension lift and may be a limiting factor for folks who like to put larger tires on. I'm sure that at some point, an actual owner will try it and post in the appropriate sub-forum up above that's ready and waiting. :)

Reactions: RCP7

·
Registered
50 Posts
It's crying for soft close doors, but in the future they don't have to build a a brand new platform to implement that technology,that is the only thing most German brands like the BMW, Mercedes Benz, Audi have over the Jeep,Grand Cherokee , and they over charge 10k,20k, 30k+, on some of their vehicle with that technology.
Don't know about the WL, but my 21 GC Limited requires noticeably more oomph to cause the doors to fully latch than did my M-B GLC without soft-close. So in that regard, yeah, soft-close would be a welcome feature to finish closing doors that didn't quite latch on the first try. But IMO even more desirable would be the auto parking brake. Otherwise, my JGC Limited with M-B platform and all options is very well equipped, and I wouldn't trade it for any German brand.

·
Administrator
2018 Jeep Trackhawk
56,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,310 ·
Mercedes and jeep went completely different directions with thr platforms from thr beginning. It is true thr basic chassis was developed together in 1994 but they went their complete seperage ways after that.

Reactions: Jim_in_PA

·
Registered
111 Posts
I went to my Jeep dealership today for some routine service (oil, filters, etc.) and they had 7 WL's that just came in. My first thoughts after finally seeing it in person is the new design is really nice. The front has grown on me, and I dont mind it at all. In fact I think it is a little bit better looking than the WK2. I still think the black "mouth piece" is ugly, but it is what it is. The side paneling for the doors get me a little bit as I think they're too flat looking. Maybe its my eyes since the L is longer. All in all, I'm excited for the two row.

Now on to something I think is important. Many pages ago, people where complaining about the Wagoneer line up and GC line up costing as much as the primum cars of BMW, Audi, etc., but the Customer Service, Car Service, and Sales are not up to the standards for someone paying that type of money.

Believe me I AGREE.

My service rep told me. Moving forward Jeep corporate has made it mandatory for dealerships to pass multiple tests and certifications in order to sell the Wagoneer line up and one of the stipulations is a Jeep loaner program has to be established at the dealership when servicing the car. Long story short, it sounds like dealerships that are selling the Wagoneer have to provide loaners, but it sounds like the loaners will be for everyone. Which I assume will be a part of a warranty purchase tier system. Its nice to know they are trying to address the complaints. Only thing holding them back is the chip shortage, Jeep can't produce enough cars to provide loaner programs and keep up with customer demand.

·
Registered
2012 WK2 LTD 5.7 ORA II
302 Posts
Same here. I brought my Wk2 in for service today and they had a Summit Reserve in the showroom and it was absolutely gorgeous! I too had reservations about the front before I saw this one in person. I’m salivating at the thought of placing my order for my Overland awl 74 as soon as I am able. Especially after they told me it would cost almost 1k to fix the evap leak I have.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Someone mentioned the WL needing softclose doors. No, it doesn't...enough electronics to pose issues. Leave it with the cargo door and that is it. All these "luxuries" do is add additional warranty work and general repairs!

·
Registered
2012 WK2 LTD 5.7 ORA II
302 Posts
Th
Someone mentioned the WL needing softclose doors. No, it doesn't...enough electronics to pose issues. Leave it with the cargo door and that is it. All these "luxuries" do is add additional warranty work and general repairs!
There was a noticeable difference in the way the doors closed on the WL. It was a solid easy feel when closing the door. No complaints here.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Mercedes and jeep went completely different directions with thr platforms from thr beginning. It is true thr basic chassis was developed together in 1994 but they went their complete seperage ways after that.
Right, co-development ended quite early. M-B going for the lux crowd while Jeep had more of an eye on the off-roaders and recreational trailering segment.

Doesn’t matter to me whether Jeep engineers or M-B engineers get credit for whatever. It’s a damn good platform – so much so the M-B also saw fit to keep it in their lineup until the GLE (M-Class successor) moved to its new V167 (long) in 2020 or so.

A side note: Yeah, separate ways, however, the Mercedes-designed front seats in my 21 JGC hitched a ride all the way from 2011 after being designed for not only the Mercedes E-Class but also used in the JGC. Only the seat steel frame structure and controls by M-B. The credit/blame for seat foam type goes to Jeep, but I like the long-distance-friendly firmer seat foam inspired by M-B and embraced by VW and other German makes.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I went to my Jeep dealership today for some routine service (oil, filters, etc.) and they had 7 WL's that just came in. My first thoughts after finally seeing it in person is the new design is really nice. The front has grown on me, and I dont mind it at all. In fact I think it is a little bit better looking than the WK2. I still think the black "mouth piece" is ugly, but it is what it is. The side paneling for the doors get me a little bit as I think they're too flat looking. Maybe its my eyes since the L is longer. All in all, I'm excited for the two row.

Now on to something I think is important. Many pages ago, people where complaining about the Wagoneer line up and GC line up costing as much as the primum cars of BMW, Audi, etc., but the Customer Service, Car Service, and Sales are not up to the standards for someone paying that type of money.

Believe me I AGREE.

My service rep told me. Moving forward Jeep corporate has made it mandatory for dealerships to pass multiple tests and certifications in order to sell the Wagoneer line up and one of the stipulations is a Jeep loaner program has to be established at the dealership when servicing the car. Long story short, it sounds like dealerships that are selling the Wagoneer have to provide loaners, but it sounds like the loaners will be for everyone. Which I assume will be a part of a warranty purchase tier system. Its nice to know they are trying to address the complaints. Only thing holding them back is the chip shortage, Jeep can't produce enough cars to provide loaner programs and keep up with customer demand.
So Wagoneer becomes the Black Label Lincoln of Chrysler? Cant anyone learn from company's past mistakes?

·
Registered
2014 Summit 5.7
3,852 Posts
Stopped by the dealer on my way home, they had 14 of the L there. The black summit they had was sticker $65,195 they had it marked up to $75,195. It was nice but nowhere near 75k nice.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Stopped by the dealer on my way home, they had 14 of the L there. The black summit they had was sticker $65,195 they had it marked up to $75,195. It was nice but nowhere near 75k nice.
Ram 1500 trucks almost fully loaded are going for $80K. Im pretty sure everything is marked up due to the supply shortage. It will come back down within a year from now

·
Registered
Subaru Legacy STIEVO
2,104 Posts
I had the opportunity of looking at the new WL75 at the Chicago Auto Show. Even ff I typed all my impressions here, it would still not rival a professional review so go for TFL Car review's instead. I will limit myself to these statements regarding the Summit model I sat in. Also, they only had 1 WL75 on the floor and one in the test rides playground (but it was parked).

1. If you are into brown leather, good for you. To me it looked like my toddler's poop on a bad day. I would rather buy a Dacia Sandero than live with THAT brown interior.

2. If you are in the market for a 6 or 7 seater, like I am, choose wisely. The Summit had a 6 seat configuration with some sort of tall console between the seats. Now, at least on the Summit (with electric fold down seats), the two passenger seats in the 2nd row do fold mostly flat. Flat enough I should say. I am 5'11'' and I did fit in the 3rd row, with a 275+ lbs 6'01'' dude in the 2nd row seat in front of me ('cause I asked him how tall he was, weight was estimated). But 3rd row is not really for someone my height (and I am average) but rather for kids or for shorter people like my wife (5'04"). Would I put my mom (with knee problems) in the 3rd row ? No definitely not unless I want the CFD to cut into the seats to remove them. But is it acceptable for short trips...or perhaps longer trips, relegating the shorter people to the 3rd row, and removing this 2nd row console between the seats? I think that is a distinct possibility and I would be going that route: 6 seater configuration, removing the console between 2nd row seats (as far as I recall, it did not have any electricals, just molded cup holders, arm rest). The space is larger than on a Highlander or Ascent and about the same as on a Durango.

3. To summarize Point # 2: If you very rarely need the 3rd row, you would be better served by a bench 2nd row. If you will transport adults and children at least occasionally in the 3rd row, then get a 6 seater configuration and consider removing that 2nd row console to give rear passengers more leg room and an easier exit. You also add valuable cargo space for luggage that way. Yes the 2nd row passengers might not have an arm rest - isn't that terrible.

4. The cargo area is simply glorious with the 3rd row folded down. I feel that with a bit of cursing, some diagonal positioning and with my knees somewhat folded (fetal position) I could sleep in the cargo area and still have the 2nd row up. With the 3rd row up, the cargo volume is about half of what you have in the WK2.

5. Personal Choices for my own taste:
  • The party trick intercom and kids camera is something I would avoid if possible.
  • I would also avoid the glass sunroof (adds weight, complexity, never use it on the WK2). And that light brown leather...but hey at least the steering wheel did not have a wood insert - which I hate even more.
  • I would go for more aggressive tires - not sure how much taller of a tire one can do given the suspension geometry. I run Nitto Terra Grappler G2s on the WK2 in 265/65/R18 and I am afraid they may not fit the WL75 with an overall diameter of 32.5 inches (+1 inch) due to clearance issues with that front control arm. Well, if there's 1 inch clearance there, then it would work since overall radius is only +0.5 inches but you cannot tell just by looking).
  • Not sure if headlight washers have been retained on the WL75 but hey...we need them or the cameras don't we? To me, that is an overengineered solution to a simple problem of wiping it clean. Why not offer the spray nozzle on the thermal camera instead of the regular front view cam?
  • The rather good looking rep informed me that the hybrid WL75 4xe will likely be offered in late 2022 as a 2023 model year which seems reasonable and in line with other discussions here.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
  • I would go for more aggressive tires - not sure how much taller of a tire one can do given the suspension geometry. I run Nitto Terra Grappler G2s on the WK2 in 265/65/R18 and I am afraid they may not fit the WL75 with an overall diameter of 32.5 inches (+1 inch) due to clearance issues with that front control arm. Well, if there's 1 inch clearance there, then it would work since overall radius is only +0.5 inches but you cannot tell just by looking).
  • The rather good looking rep informed me that the hybrid WL75 4xe will likely be offered in late 2022 as a 2023 model year which seems reasonable and in line with other discussions here.
Someone posted this pic on facebook, looks to be just under an inch gap. I was thinking maybe a 285/50R20 might just make it.

Thanks for that info on the 4xe, I'm hoping my 2014 ecodiesel will hold out until that arrives down here in Oz....

4301 - 4320 of 4382 Posts