Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
5121 - 5140 of 5230 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Here’s my take and one that has driven the 22’ MY MDX for a good amount of time. If you want off road ruggedness with a newer interior and the likely hood of having more faults to the model then get the WL74. If you want an SUV that has three rows with a reliable V6, premium interior, as well as the driving capabilities of a Sports Sedan then get the MDX.

After I drove the MDX A-Spec that comes standard with SH-AWD In my review I was extremely impressed for even the base V6 engine on how it got up and went. The V6 paired to the 10 AT is fantastic especially compare to its previous Gen ZF. The rear legroom is enough to fit family in. Was really impressed with the availability of removing the middle seat area on the MDX as well. Trunk space was actually a lot surprising and the flip up cover has to side to it. One with the felt/carpet liner and then a more plastic side so you can put muddy shoes or your kids gear from a football/soccer game. Also reliability is great on Acura models as expected as it’s a Honda created Luxury brand.
As the original owner of a 2002 MDX with just under 220k on it, I fully appreciate your observations on the 2022. To your point, it’s a strong option at a very comparable price point and they have that thing dialed in. The VCM is somewhat annoying and I know you can buy a device to override it but part of me just says going 20 years w the same make and model and then buying the same again is well, a little boring. I’m no spring chicken and it just might be time to enjoy a different driving experience. Nothing says this needs to be another 20 year commitment!

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Mazda announced an all new CX line, 2 and 3 row, bigger and wider with turbo inline 6 plug in hybrid motors, built in the US with Toyota. The cx9 is already a standout handler, the new one should take that further. Am sure these will easily outperform and undercut Jeep WL .ummmm...where is that tornado ?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Mazda announced an all new CX line, 2 and 3 row, bigger and wider with turbo inline 6 plug in hybrid motors, built in the US with Toyota. The cx9 is already a standout handler, the new one should take that further. Am sure these will easily outperform and undercut Jeep WL .ummmm...where is that tornado ?
I personally think the electric motor 4 cylinder turbo gas pairing is extremely odd for a heavy hybrid suv. I cant tell if the rave for the 4xe trailhawk is fake or if a new generation of interested drivers just clueless on the capability and power to weight ratio.

·
Registered
430 Posts
No they are just clueless since most have never spun a wrench and crawled under the Wrangler 4XE ( or any other Hyrbid) to see the rats nest of hoses and AC line to cool batteries, inverter etc

I drove one for a day and they are nice from a power perspective, 370HP and 470 Tq is good, but not worth all the headaches 7 yrs out when once has crawl under and start changing all the old hoses and plastic bits. These people buying them are wetting their pants for the 7500$ kick back, but not thinking long term as to issue and maintenance.

Most on the Wrangler forums are avoiding the 4Xe because most keep them long term, I have 2 Wranglers and went with the 3.6 8HP50 so much easier to maintain. Plus I get as good of fuel economy as they do since I am not toting 700 lbs of batteries around. lastly at my uiitility rate, there is no cost savings at all.

So to sum up, if you buy one, you want the extra HP/TQ reliability, handling and maintenance be damned. oh and the kickback.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Does anyone know if the gen 3 diesel will be provided? I feel after they worked all the bugs out of those eco diesel engines. They make a pretty good pairing

·
Registered
13 Posts
Has any concrete information on the 2022 "L" surfaced yet, I believe the rumor was a dealer call this week, I was hoping for some detail on additional options or expanded colors/color combinations.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Actually pretty excited for the new Inline 6 Turbos. Especially on the next Gen Mazda Sedans having it with the RWD architecture. Going to be a great performing vehicle. Also yeah that Tornado engine… I feel as though all the work they put into that engine might just end up getting cut.

·
Super Moderator
10,322 Posts
Does anyone know if the gen 3 diesel will be provided? I feel after they worked all the bugs out of those eco diesel engines. They make a pretty good pairing
There has been pretty much zero indication that a diesel will be offered, but perhaps that may change, at least for some of the export market. Even that's a stretch because of regulation in many geographies that no longer support that technology like in the past. So far, it's V6, V8 and 4xE hybrid with a 6-in-line rumored to enter the mix at some point and I expect that may replace one or two of those three initial power options. But that's a guess.

·
Registered
Cherokee
1,810 Posts
I remember a few years ago when Chevy had to do an emergency makeover of the Malibu because of exterior styling.. Lawd I hope Jeep can see that they messed this up on the outside.. The dog bone where the front tow hooks go..

·
Registered
Subaru Legacy STIEVO
2,158 Posts
No they are just clueless since most have never spun a wrench and crawled under the Wrangler 4XE ( or any other Hyrbid) to see the rats nest of hoses and AC line to cool batteries, inverter etc

I drove one for a day and they are nice from a power perspective, 370HP and 470 Tq is good, but not worth all the headaches 7 yrs out when once has crawl under and start changing all the old hoses and plastic bits. These people buying them are wetting their pants for the 7500$ kick back, but not thinking long term as to issue and maintenance.

Most on the Wrangler forums are avoiding the 4Xe because most keep them long term, I have 2 Wranglers and went with the 3.6 8HP50 so much easier to maintain. Plus I get as good of fuel economy as they do since I am not toting 700 lbs of batteries around. lastly at my uiitility rate, there is no cost savings at all.

So to sum up, if you buy one, you want the extra HP/TQ reliability, handling and maintenance be damned. oh and the kickback.
Agreed on the weight and all. I really wanted to see how much the battery weighs, but 700 lbs is right if you do the math from the curb vehicle weight. So...what's the average cost for a gallon of 87 octane in your area? A month ago I traveled thru KY and refueled in Lexington, at a Costco. I purchased 93 for less (per gallon) than I bought 87 octane the next day in Chicago, at a Costco.

@ Costco, Lexington KY
Regular $2.919, Premium $3.239
@ Costco, Chicago IL (north side)
Regular $3.399, Premium $3.999

Energy prices:
Chicago IL
Lexington, KY

Daily realities of fuel and energy prices differ. 50 cents for 87 octane and 70 cents per gallon for premium gasoline. 2.2 cents/kw for electricity. What makes no sense to you may represent someone's legitimate attempt to get transportation costs under control. And don't sell me on how a Tesla or some other full electric would make more sense because again, it depends on the type of driving one does. Tesla's and other electrics tend to be owned by people who can also charge at home and own their homes - not a reality for most city dwellers.

·
Premium Member
1,161 Posts
Sorry if this has been asked and answered but I can’t find anything via search… is there any info on colors for the 2022 wl?

·
Super Moderator
10,322 Posts
Sorry if this has been asked and answered but I can’t find anything via search… is there any info on colors for the 2022 wl?
Nothing said so far beyond the small group of limited colors that they started production of the WL-75 with. The build and price is still not fleshed out relative to colors, either.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Anyone know the WL-74/75 rear hatch opening height (height from bottom to top of the opening)? Looking if I can stand a Mountain bike inside without front wheel - or if I'm having to get a Wrangler

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
There has been pretty much zero indication that a diesel will be offered, but perhaps that may change, at least for some of the export market. Even that's a stretch because of regulation in many geographies that no longer support that technology like in the past. So far, it's V6, V8 and 4xE hybrid with a 6-in-line rumored to enter the mix at some point and I expect that may replace one or two of those three initial power options. But that's a guess.
No, export markets have been told flat out no diesel. We don't even get the V8 in Australia, it will be V6 and 4xe, then maybe the tornado for performance versions.

They just don't sell enough diesel to make it worth while, 4xe is the new eco version.

Reactions: Jim_in_PA

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Someone found this dealer page showing new colors, may not be real:

Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Automotive side marker light Vehicle

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
I personally think the electric motor 4 cylinder turbo gas pairing is extremely odd for a heavy hybrid suv. I cant tell if the rave for the 4xe trailhawk is fake or if a new generation of interested drivers just clueless on the capability and power to weight ratio.
I think the 4xe will be perfect, 0-60mph is around 6 secs in the wrangler, that is good power to weight, the big winner is the early torque delivery. That is good for getting the mass of the GC up and going around town and good for low speed control on the tracks.

I currently have the diesel, it has more than enough things that could go wrong, hybrid isn't any different.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I think the 4xe will be perfect, 0-60mph is around 6 secs in the wrangler, that is good power to weight, the big winner is the early torque delivery. That is good for getting the mass of the GC up and going around town and good for low speed control on the tracks.

I currently have the diesel, it has more than enough things that could go wrong, hybrid isn't any different.
Ain't that the truth..except with the diesel, it still runs without the parts that make it go wrong. Not sure the same can be said for the 4xe.

I dont know what I'm going to do when my diesel dies. I love going 650mi between fill ups.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Ain't that the truth..except with the diesel, it still runs without the parts that make it go wrong. Not sure the same can be said for the 4xe.

I dont know what I'm going to do when my diesel dies. I love going 650mi between fill ups.
The common parts that I've been seeing go wrong stop it from running. A bad DPF sensor or clogged filter puts it in limp mode, a spun bearing and it goes nowhere without a new motor.

I mainly bought the diesel for that low rev pulling power, the electric motor should give even more. I should be able to drive it on electric only during the week, only need to fill up for longer trips.

·
Super Moderator
10,322 Posts
mainly bought the diesel for that low rev pulling power, the electric motor should give even more. I should be able to drive it on electric only during the week, only need to fill up for longer trips.
Very true....one of the big benefits with electrification is the torque. It's why some electric vehicles can go from a standing stop to "really fast" in a couple of seconds and why most hybrids can do the same. As much as I like the idea of an EV...and we will have one for our household in a few years most likely...hybrid is a really good way to bridge the gap given it will take quite a while to get enough infrastructure in the world to well support EVs in many geographies.

5121 - 5140 of 5230 Posts