Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

561 - 580 of 1157 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,951 Posts
Considering the order banks open in about 5 months, it seems pretty quiet regarding new spy shots and sub-contractor/supplier info on the new Grand Cherokee (much less the rest of the new options coming from Jeep).
Order banks for MY21 do not open in five months. Based on current dates provided by insiders, MY20 will be a long model year and you shouldn't expect to be able to order a MY21 WL until at least six month's later than the historically typical July/August time frame.

·
Registered
Overland
89 Posts
Order banks for MY21 do not open in five months. Based on current dates provided by insiders, MY20 will be a long model year and you shouldn't expect to be able to order a MY21 WL until at least six month's later than the historically typical July/August time frame.
Jim, thanks for the update. I'm basing my position from the first post of the thread:

•Order banks open - June 2020
•Production startup - July 2020
•Sales launch - September 2020
(Dates are due to change)
•All-new 5th generation Grand Cherokee

·
Super Moderator
8,951 Posts
That information has changed multiple times over the long period this thread has been up. :)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Jim, thanks for the update. I'm basing my position from the first post of the thread:

This is why I suggested moderator delete or edit the 1st post on this thread. Long outdated.

·
Registered
Limited
97 Posts
Considering the order banks open in about 5 months, it seems pretty quiet regarding new spy shots and sub-contractor/supplier info on the new Grand Cherokee (much less the rest of the new options coming from Jeep).
It's actually more than a year until order banks open up according to Milous' site:
2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee WL (includes WLJeeps.org exclusiveadvance info)

• All-new 5th generation Grand Cherokee "WL" 2-row series
  • World Debut date/location - TBD
  • Press materials launch date - TBD
  • Order banks open - Spring 2021
  • Production startup - Spring 2021
  • PHEV model
  • 3.6L engine continues
  • New - 2.0L turbocharged engine w/eTorque
  • New - 5.7L HEMI V8 w/eTorque
  • New - Resdesigned shifter
  • New - 7", 8.4" and 10" UConnect Radios
  • New - Ventilated rear seats
  • New - Improved off-road capability
  • New - High definition cluster displays (7" and 10")
  • New - All new outside door remote handles
  • New - All new-steering wheel
  • New - All new door lock buttons
  • New - All new overhead console
  • New - All new memory, seat controls and headlight switch
  • New - All new select terrain knob
(More information will be posted as it becomes available)

-WLJeeps.org

·
Premium Member
3,348 Posts
Looks like they're still going to a "dial" shifter. ?

·
Administrator
2018 Jeep Trackhawk
56,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #567
Theres many mules out there....many

Reactions: Jim_in_PA

·
The Negotiator
2017 WK2 3.6L
5,308 Posts
I hope the front doesn't really change much as I like it as it is. 3rd row would be nice to complete with Tahoe/Yukon. I almost pulled the trigger on a 2020 Tahoe but held out now that 2021 Tahoe will be out later this year and hoping for good news from the JGC front of the new MY.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I hope the front doesn't really change much as I like it as it is. 3rd row would be nice to complete with Tahoe/Yukon. I almost pulled the trigger on a 2020 Tahoe but held out now that 2021 Tahoe will be out later this year and hoping for good news from the JGC front of the new MY.
I'm in a similar boat. Our 2014 Grand Cherokee is approaching 140k miles and will need to do something soon. The kids are getting big and we are squeezed for space so we are contemplating a larger vehicle. Like you, I will seriously consider the 2021 Tahoe, but will hope for some good news/visuals for the three row WL or Wagoneer.

Reactions: SnoFire

·
The Negotiator
2017 WK2 3.6L
5,308 Posts
I'm in a similar boat. Our 2014 Grand Cherokee is approaching 140k miles and will need to do something soon. The kids are getting big and we are squeezed for space so we are contemplating a larger vehicle. Like you, I will seriously consider the 2021 Tahoe, but will hope for some good news/visuals for the three row WL or Wagoneer.
The 2021 Tahoe is more boxy and the front looks like the pickup trucks, plus they extended it 6.7 inches so it is 2 inches shortly than the current suburban. The 2014 was an interesting design that turned many people off but there were so many of us that bought them right away.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I also am considering a Tahoe/Yukon...It looks to be a foregone conclusion that the EcoD is not coming back for the WL and that's the only reason I would have waited. With the advent of the I6 diesel coming to a Yukon, I may be licking my chops that way. Grand kids keep on showing up like pumpkin seeds, and no fun having to drive 2 vehicles every where. I project that the T/Y combo will break 25 MPG with the new Duramax and that is totally unheard of for vehicles in the T/Y size range. Mated appropriately with a 10 speed will keep it responsive and in the torque band well...
My biggest fear? Its just a big SOB to park and to wash...But having had a Tahoe years ago, I can say no vehicle can match it for that awesome interior roominess, other than an Expedition or Navigator....

·
Super Moderator
8,951 Posts
The day the WL is finally released, Jeep should start designing the WL2
Well, it would hopefully be a different code, but that's a good suggestion. :) A bit of trivia...current generation is still technically "WK" due to Jeep apparently forgetting to assign a new code when they moved to the current platform. The body type code listed on the build sheet for the MY12 Overland Summit I previously drove was stated as "WKJS74", for example. "WK2" was invented by folks to differentiate two different generations with the same official code and it's stuck in the Jeep world. I sure hope that doesn't have to happen again!

·
Registered
486 Posts
So, since all Jeeps will have a plug-in hybrid version by 2022... what engine will this tech be paired with?

Are there still rumors of a turbo charged ~3.0L inline 6 being an engine option?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Been reading here for awhile, can't wait to hear more info on these!

My '18 Trailhawk has been terrific in every way!

With the new ones I hope for a new brighter blue or rust (copperish) color, HUD, and a back hatch that you can set to only open 1/2 or 1/4 way so I can park it anywhere in the garage and not worry about it hitting anything.....power folding back seat would be a bonus.....not completely necessary, but nice.

·
Registered
17 Posts
might be a dumb question but I'm a little confused. My lease on my altitude is up October 2020, so does this mean when I go to re-lease ill have the option for the 2021 jeep grand Cherokee since the 2020s have been out already or are they not doing 2021 since they are planning this redesign

·
Super Moderator
8,951 Posts
The MY20 will be a longer model year if they stay with the intention of WL being a MY21 vehicle introducing in the first half of 2021. MY20 would normally stop production around July 2020, but that's not going to happen with the plan that so far has been shared by insiders. So unless you stretch your lease beyond the October 2020 date, it's unlikely that MY21 will be an option for you. If you need to make a move in October, you'll be getting a MY20 JGC if you stay with JGC.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The MY20 will be a longer model year if they stay with the intention of WL being a MY21 vehicle introducing in the first half of 2021. MY20 would normally stop production around July 2020, but that's not going to happen with the plan that so far has been shared by insiders. So unless you stretch your lease beyond the October 2020 date, it's unlikely that MY21 will be an option for you. If you need to make a move in October, you'll be getting a MY20 JGC if you stay with JGC.
gotcha thank you, gonna be a tough choice deciding if i should try to extend my lease or just get a 2020 model, i guess i gotta see how nice this redesign is

·
Registered
342 Posts
How long will it take them to gut the plant and retool, probably at least 6 months, so my guess would be they will stop making the current WK2 in June and start up in Jan 2021 with the new WL. So will be selling theWK2 but dealers will have to stock up to carry them, that would be my guess, any info from the insiders as to how much the plant and production will have to be gutted and retooled.

·
Premium Member
1,384 Posts
I don't have any insider knowledge, but I have wandered around inside JNAP a few times.. it isn't clear to me that they will have to gut the plant at all.. the plant was designed to be very flexible and has gone thru some changes since the start of WK2 to make it more so.. so while there is certainly going to be a lot of work to do, I don't know that it will involve a ton of calendar time.

Just my $0.02 ...

561 - 580 of 1157 Posts