Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

921 - 940 of 1334 Posts

·
Registered
A Real Jeep
2,829 Posts
What I think Marlon was getting at knocking over the "P" to make it into a "g" as in GME. I'd love to hear more on that--specs? release date? I'm keeping my WK2 '14 (166K mi) going until I can see about getting that GME...
No.

·
Registered
2014 Summit 5.7 4wd 20" tires swapped to 18", added all skid plates
2,068 Posts
How do they do that?

Pretty slick!
It's probably the same as for self-dimming mirrors, they have an LCD panel in front of a mirrored back surface. Turning the LCD cells on/off reduces how much light can be reflected by the mirrored part. Similarly I'd guess the sunroof "glass" is probably what amounts to a large LCD screen but without the "back part". Turn the "LCD cells" on and off to change from clear to not clear. That's my guess.

·
Premium Member
3,191 Posts
It's probably the same as for self-dimming mirrors, they have an LCD panel in front of a mirrored back surface. Turning the LCD cells on/off reduces how much light can be reflected by the mirrored part. Similarly I'd guess the sunroof "glass" is probably what amounts to a large LCD screen but without the "back part". Turn the "LCD cells" on and off to change from clear to not clear. That's my guess.
This has been around for decades and used in offices and the like. They even make a film you can apply to existing glass. I personally have never found a need for it.

·
Registered
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
463 Posts
Have you guys seen the pana sunroof in the new Venza, it has a push button "frost" feature. I assume it won't make it to the WL unfortunately(?), but it is awesome.

3:50 mark of this review by Doug Demuro.

Venza Frosted Sunroof

Saw it, nice but this one is fixed, right? Can't be opened?

·
Registered
702 Posts
Its cool, but having a shade is nice. And truthfully, It would be great if all the higher trim GCs didn't force the pano on you.

·
Registered
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
463 Posts
Its cool, but having a shade is nice. And truthfully, It would be great if all the higher trim GCs didn't force the pano on you.
That's something that is totally not important for me.
I think Toyota can do that, they have Quality under control, FCA not so much. I much rather want a good engine, suspension and tranny, then a good and stable uConnect 5 system...and then all the rest :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'd say it is a accurate guess too.

Thanks!

·
Registered
53 Posts
This has been around for decades and used in offices and the like. They even make a film you can apply to existing glass. I personally have never found a need for it.
I agree with you that a shade is just as useful, that is just a cooler shade (get it cooler, shade....lol) 🤣

·
Premium Member
3,191 Posts
I agree with you that a shade is just as useful, that is just a cooler shade (get it cooler, shade....lol) 🤣
I'm not sure the degree it reflects out UV rays or visible light versus just scattering it while allowing it to go through. A low voltage is ran in the layer or film it causes light to scatter and/or reflect. Cool effect but might not be practical if you live in Florida intense sunshine! Some Tesla owners tint their glass roofs in Florida and snap in covers are available too.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I believe that is just the open/close for the rear hatch.
Yeah you might be right, there is another button above it that says door....I thought that was the back hatch....but I honestly have no idea.

Toyota's aren't something I know anything about.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'm not sure the degree it reflects out UV rays or visible light versus just scattering it while allowing it to go through. A low voltage is ran in the layer or film it causes light to scatter and/or reflect. Cool effect but might not be practical if you live in Florida intense sunshine! Some Tesla owners tint their glass roofs in Florida and snap in covers are available too.
I'm sure you can't beat an actual rolling shade.

I hardly ever use my shade unless it will be parked outside for any length of time....I like mine open as much as I can.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Pano is the one option I don't really care to have and I hate how they throw it in to packages with things I want. I like to carry things on my roof rack and get worried if something slips one day, I'm now buying a new piece of glass for the roof. Add on top of that the complaints that come with these pano roofs. Creeking. Things to fix. Possible leaks. I know some people love those things but for me it really is an option I'd rather not have or pay for.

921 - 940 of 1334 Posts