Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m in a little bind guys. Lol I bought some 20x10 -19 offset on 275/55/20. Discount tire wouldn’t even let me leave they were rubbing so bad. Would I be okay buying a spacer you think or trying to return them for a 20x9 with 0 offset?? Opinions?

·
Premium Member
SRT8
2,629 Posts
Stock SRT rims are 20x10 by +50 offset anything in the +35 +50 if you wanna stay 20x10.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah I’ve heard mixed thoughts on spacers. What size spacer do you think I would need to run this set on ko2?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I thought spacers would help it with bringing the rim out further allowing for more clearance? Isn’t that what most people do with spacers besides the aggressive look it gives?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Maybe some trimming to the fender well would help?
I ordered 1”, 1.25”, & 1.50” spacers try them out. Debating on order even a 1.75” too

·
Registered
260 Posts
I thought spacers would help it with bringing the rim out further allowing for more clearance? Isn’t that what most people do with spacers besides the aggressive look it gives?
Most people lift their vehicles the proper amount to clear larger tires and wider wheels. Spacers are unsafe but I'm not trying to start that debate.

Spacers are the cheapest way to gain some relief. If you move the wheel out...then more wheel will hit the bumper corner. You need to lift the vehicle. Raise the point of contact between the tire and bumper.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think you’re the first person I heard say spacers will make it worse and from what I’ve read. Lol but okay. Thanks for the input man. Hopefully I get something figured out

·
Registered
1 Posts
You need to read up on how wheels work and what the numbers mean to you. The more negative the offset the further the wheel sticks out from the vehicle. To far out is what often causes rubbing. You need to push out a little to fit wider tires, but not to -19. A +18 should work with a 2" lift, but a 10" wide rim is just to wide for your set up really.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Looks like he cut his fenders and covered them with those flares. Or at least cut the front bumper and then added flares. And from the pics...he didn't use any spacers. If he had the wheel would be out more.

And ...fwiw...custom will tell you anything fits to make a sale. Often times while they don't even have the wheel or tire you want. I know lots of guys who bought from there only to get an email saying their package will ship from manufacturer when available.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The fenders are just bushwackers. They don’t require any cutting just removal of the oem flares. They don’t give any more clearance from what I’ve read. I do see his front bumper missing the lower fisca. Maybe that’s how he got it to work.

·
Registered
260 Posts
The fenders are just bushwackers. They don’t require any cutting just removal of the oem flares. They don’t give any more clearance from what I’ve read. I do see his front bumper missing the lower fisca. Maybe that’s how he got it to work.
They do give clearance when the fender is trimmed. The shape of the fender flare is more open allowing for more turning radius...i.e. ........what you are looking for. Then the flare acts as a cover to make it look better or like nothing was trimmed.

You would probably only need to trim a few inches off to get 100% turning radius. Keep in mind that any bumps or turning while suspension is in travel will require more than just straight driving clearance.

Why not just buy a wheel with the proper offset ?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
What I’m saying is what he has is the version from bushwacker specifically. Their version for the wk2 is stricktly for looks. It’s doesnt actually give you any clearance, doesn’t require any cutting. But yes I know what they’re for.
I haven’t seen any actually fender flares that you cut out for the wk2 have you?

Also, yes that’s my last step is to contact maybe hostile or just mr.wheel deal to see if I can exchange them for 20x9 0 offset in the same version. I’m in love with these wheels lol

·
Registered
2014 JGC Limited 4x4
28 Posts
I think you’re the first person I heard say spacers will make it worse and from what I’ve read. Lol but okay. Thanks for the input man. Hopefully I get something figured out
I honestly think you need to read up on how wheel offset works. You bought wheels that sit about 100mm (3.9 inches) further outward than stock, and you think adding spacers would make it better? I don't want to be the first one to say "I told you so" when your spacers arrive and exacerbate the rubbing problem.

All a spacer is going to do is move the point where the edge of the tire rubs when the wheel is turned, effectively giving you less and less available steering angle until you space the wheel far enough to clear the fender completely. Unfortunately, by the time you do that, you're wheels are gonna be poking out like this:

You need to remedy the rubbing issue by getting a higher offset wheel, not by pushing the wheel even further out.

·
Registered
260 Posts
What I’m saying is what he has is the version from bushwacker specifically. Their version for the wk2 is stricktly for looks. It’s doesnt actually give you any clearance, doesn’t require any cutting. But yes I know what they’re for.
I haven’t seen any actually fender flares that you cut out for the wk2 have you?

Also, yes that’s my last step is to contact maybe hostile or just mr.wheel deal to see if I can exchange them for 20x9 0 offset in the same version. I’m in love with these wheels lol
Bushwacker or not....it's common practice to cover fender cuts with flares. Some flares require cutting and some dont. Its based on the vehicle. Flares do not give you added clearance. They are just make up on the pig lol. Some people will buy flares designed for other vehicles because they like the shape. Then cut to that shape.

Adding a flare WITHOUT cutting would make the rubbing worse at the bottom. Well....at least in your situation. Some guys will take a rubber mallet and gently hit the corner that rubs. Kinda rolling it back a little.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts