Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Excited to be a new owner of a 2020 Redline Trailhawk, my second WK2 now. A couple of details and plans and comparisons to the previous GC.
First was a 2018 Sterling Limited with 4x4 and Tow Package, and 8.4 Uconnect. No QuadLift, No BiXenon, Standard Sunroof. Added a light bar in the lower fascia, aFe Momentum GT intake and Booster.
IMG_2222.jpg

Pros:
Best highway cruiser for comfort, speed, and very good fuel economy.
Great looks, those 20” wheels are awesome.
Beautiful leather and interior with wood and platinum trims.

Cons:
Glitchy Uconnect system
Suspension seemed “tired” and creaky at around 40k.
Seats lacked support.

New 2020 Redline Trailhawk with everything but the advanced safety stuff.
Plans (already have all this):
Chief Roof Rack RTT edition
Chief Rock Sliders Bare Bones edition
Tint Front Windows and Sunroof
ARB Compressor on-board
Rigid Ditch Lights with Valkyrie mounts
Rear Light Bar

Will replace the tires sooner than 20k after reading the awful reviews of the Goodyear Wrangler Kevlar

Not planning to do the CAI or Booster again or light bar in the lower fascia since eventually that may become something else down there.

Noticeable differences:
  • QuadLift suspension is awesome.
  • Perforated Leather seats with heating and cooling is a nice feature and they are so supportive and big.
  • Panoramic sunroof is a thing of beauty.
  • Performance of the engine seems slightly tweaked towards more responsive stock compared to my memory of the 2018.
  • Nice knowing there are skid plates underneath.
  • The Red is growing on me!
IMG_0684.jpg

·
Registered
18 WK2 Trailhawk
566 Posts
Congrats!!!! The Trailhawk is a nice package. I'm on my second Trailhawk, first was a V6, and now I Have the Hemi, Redline Red as well.
IMG_20210209_164441408_HDR.jpg

Reactions: BillSPD

·
Premium Member
2,082 Posts
Nice! Don't throw away $600 worth of tires based on something you read on the internet; draw your own conclusions. I've been perfectly happy with them, coming up on 40k.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice! Don't throw away $600 worth of tires based on something you read on the internet; draw your own conclusions. I've been perfectly happy with them, coming up on 40k.
The biggest things that concern me in the reviews are the rumored “bad batch” rubber compounding, performance on ice and wet roads (after some wear), and the potential for gravel to cause leaks. I like camping with the kids and we go to some OHV trails and the weather here has been exceptionally wet this year. I’m not so concerned about snow performance but everything else seems less than ideal for the environment and planned uses. Maybe different than driving highway mostly dry roads.

·
Premium Member
2,082 Posts
Well I suppose if you get a "bad batch" you'll know it. I drive on pretty much everything except ice (nobody should drive on ice). Lots and lots of wet roads -- Atlanta gets a lot of rain, and our cabin in the NC mountains gets over 100" a year -- fire roads, mud, and every now and then some snow, including a three-hour white-knuckler from the cabin back to ATL in an unexpected bad storm a year or two back. We passed a lot of vehicles on that excursion, and I don't remember more than two or three passing us. I do consider myself a conservative and careful driver, but my wife would disagree.

Anyway, like I say, I've been perfectly happy with them and coming up on 40k miles, they're looking like they might make 50. When it's time I'll replace them with either Defender LTX's or maybe Continental TerrainContact H/T's (not A/T's). Until then, no complaints.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I suppose if you get a "bad batch" you'll know it. I drive on pretty much everything except ice (nobody should drive on ice). Lots and lots of wet roads -- Atlanta gets a lot of rain, and our cabin in the NC mountains gets over 100" a year -- fire roads, mud, and every now and then some snow, including a three-hour white-knuckler from the cabin back to ATL in an unexpected bad storm a year or two back. We passed a lot of vehicles on that excursion, and I don't remember more than two or three passing us. I do consider myself a conservative and careful driver, but my wife would disagree.

Anyway, like I say, I've been perfectly happy with them and coming up on 40k miles, they're looking like they might make 50. When it's time I'll replace them with either Defender LTX's or maybe Continental TerrainContact H/T's (not A/T's). Until then, no complaints.
Good stuff Bubba, thanks

·
Registered
288 Posts
Congrats on the new TH.

I am similar to you. Had an '18 Sterling Edition (lease). It was a great vehicle and really sold me on getting another jeep.

Next lease was a '20 Trailhawk. The first snow I was disappointed in the stock tires performance. I actually felt the Sterling Edition with the stock tires drove better in the snow. So I switched over to Wildpeak AT3Ws and have been happy with them. Used them in the snow, ice, and some tore up gravel roads and they performed awesome. I have the stock tires to toss back on at end of lease.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Welcome, again! I have a 2020 Trailhawk in sting gray. I have to say the small couple thousand dollar bump was worth it for me when I was looking at the Limited vs the Trailhawk. The seats a lone are worth it. I'm a bigger dude, about 6'2" 240, and the limited seats didn't hug like I wanted them to. Throw in the other details you mentioned like the QL, full roof, tow package, etc, and the extra money is well spent!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Went to install the Chief Roof Rack and half of the small components must’ve slipped out during transit. Working with justforjeeps now to replace the missing pieces. PITA.

·
Premium Member
Grand Cherokee
928 Posts
Since the Goodyer tires are being mentioned here's my 2 cents....Don't know how they perform in snow (Florida resident) but have no issues on wet roads and we have plenty of rain/ flooding) I will say they are not that good in any type of mud (no traction) so I avoid the slightest bit. They do perform good in sand! When they wear out I'll probably replace with Toyo AT3's but overall they're not bad and as you know super quiet!

·
Registered
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk 5.7 HEMI
56 Posts
Just remember skid plates are plastic. Planning on upgrading mine to Chief steel skid plates along with bare bones sliders this spring.

·
Premium Member
Grand Cherokee
928 Posts
Just remember skid plates are plastic. Planning on upgrading mine to Chief steel skid plates along with bare bones sliders this spring.
You may want to look again! Only the front air deflector / and tranny cover are plastic the rest are all steel. The fuel tank skids are 30lbs each.

·
Registered
50 Posts
View attachment 232107
What cross bars are you rockin up there? I've thought about getting some, but I've heard mixed reviews on noise. How do you like that Thule carrier? I need one for roof top storage when we travel. I already have the waterproof bag. Is the carrier pretty noisey?

·
Registered
56 Posts
What cross bars are you rockin up there? I've thought about getting some, but I've heard mixed reviews on noise. How do you like that Thule carrier? I need one for roof top storage when we travel. I already have the waterproof bag. Is the carrier pretty noisey?
Honestly I’m disappointed with the wind noise they create. They are louder without the basket than with it on. I was surprised by that.

·
Super Moderator
9,498 Posts
Honestly I’m disappointed with the wind noise they create. They are louder without the basket than with it on. I was surprised by that.
Make sure they are mounted correctly...the "fat" side goes to the front like an airplane wing. A very large percentage of the time when folks have wind noise with cross-bars, it's because they were inadvertently mounted backwards. Having the front bar too far forward will also contribute to excess noise.

Reactions: BubbaATL

·
Registered
JGC
318 Posts
Good catch Jim. They're definitely reversed.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Make sure they are mounted correctly...the "fat" side goes to the front like an airplane wing. A very large percentage of the time when folks have wind noise with cross-bars, it's because they were inadvertently mounted backwards. Having the front bar too far forward will also contribute to excess noise.
Well so much for having them professionally put on!!!! I will reverse them

1 - 20 of 24 Posts