Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning everyone. I want to upgrade the 3.5" dash speaker in my 2020 GC limited in advance of replacing the door speakers with Infinity Kappa 90cx. I know, I know...most people replace the center after the door speakers (if at all), but I have some time this weekend and minimal competence to give this a shot on my own.

With that said, does anyone have information about the stock center speaker, such as sensitivity or frequency range that could help me decide on a replacement? I attached two photos of the stock speaker that I removed last night. As you can see, it appears to be a mid-range, but that's all I can tell. The replacements I have in mind are Infinity Reference 3032cfx (coaxial, 91db sensitivity, 85-21000 hz); and the Infinity Kappa Perfect 300m (midrange, 88db sensitivity/ 150-10000 hz). Links below.

I suppose it's reasonable to replace a stock midrange with an upgraded midrange like the Kappa. However, I'm wondering if the factory Alpine amplifier is powerful enough (506 watts/12 channel...that's all I know) and whether I'll lose out on frequency response? The reference have been mentioned in other forums, but I wonder if the added tweeter would throw the system's imaging out of whack? Apologies for the long-winded posting! Thanks for your patience.

PS - I'm upgrading the speakers is because I find the stock fairly dull and muddled for my tastes. I replaced the stock speakers in my old 2012 GC (alpine) with focal 6x9 component speakers. Because the focal's metal tweeters were too bright, I replaced those parts with Alpine tweeters. It was a significant improvement for my tastes. The 2020 GC has surround sound imaging so I figured a new center would also improve things a bit moving fwd. I have not plans to add a new amp or sub.

Infinity Reference REF-3032cfx Reference Series 3-1/2" 2-way car speakers at Crutchfield

Center speaker.jpg Center speaker flip side.jpg

·
Registered
10 Posts
Following for sure. I just bought a 8" Pioneer shallow mount sub. I plan to put an amp on it later. Don't know much about the specs but I've read they all have 4ohm impedence so as long as you match that (you could measure impedence to confirm--multimeter?) you won't lose power. I've also read that the front components are filtered pretty well through the head unit so you could do coaxials in the doors. The rear speakers would benefit from a crossover to improve the tweeters' sound. This is all second hand info from hours in forums, BTW.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Following for sure. I just bought a 8" Pioneer shallow mount sub. I plan to put an amp on it later. Don't know much about the specs but I've read they all have 4ohm impedence so as long as you match that (you could measure impedence to confirm--multimeter?) you won't lose power. I've also read that the front components are filtered pretty well through the head unit so you could do coaxials in the doors. The rear speakers would benefit from a crossover to improve the tweeters' sound. This is all second hand info from hours in forums, BTW.
Interesting. In some forum (I can't recall), I got the impression the stock speakers and system were 2ohm. However, I've read that it's ok to move from 2ohm to 4ohm, rather than moving from 4 to 2. Interesting to hear about the filtering. That makes me think that the Reference coaxial 3.5 may be a safe bet. That is, its sensitivity is a good match, and filtering may prevent the "bonus" tweeter from overwhelming the mids. Then again, I really don't know what I'm talking about with respect to filtering. Please correct me if I'm off base.

·
Registered
10 Posts
On tweeters, the material is what makes it bright and tinny. Metal certainly. Natural material will be softer. I would think you could just turn your treble down though.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
On tweeters, the material is what makes it bright and tinny. Metal certainly. Natural material will be softer. I would think you could just turn your treble down though.
That's a good point. But it could get tricky when I replace the door speakers, but am only concerned with the dash speaker. But who knows...It could sound very nice. Worst case, I lose some money on this experiment and plug the old one back in again.

·
Registered
2014 GC Limited 4X4
1,350 Posts
I replaced the front center channel with the Infinity reference 3.5", also on my RAM w/Alpine system .

I had the 3.5" perfect (previous system never installed) and you will need to modify it to fit since it comes with 4 mounting ears compared to 2 on the reference. I didn't feel like modifying an expensive set of speaker and be stuck with a single, plus I wanted a full range speaker, so I sold them and picked up the Infinity Reference.

I've replaced the rear doors with Kappa 6.5 coaxials and the rear surround with the Reference 3.5" as well. I have a set of Infinity Perfect 6.5 I'll be putting in the front door, but when I do that I'll be adding 2 JL Audio amps and a Kicker L7 ported enclosure. I'm still on the fence of picking up another set of Perfects for the rear door, but know it will probably be overkill.

The sound is much better so far and not flat like the OEM Alpine system is.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I replaced the front center channel with the Infinity reference 3.5", also on my RAM w/Alpine system .

I had the 3.5" perfect (previous system never installed) and you will need to modify it to fit since it comes with 4 mounting ears compared to 2 on the reference. I didn't feel like modifying an expensive set of speaker and be stuck with a single, plus I wanted a full range speaker, so I sold them and picked up the Infinity Reference.

I've replaced the rear doors with Kappa 6.5 coaxials and the rear surround with the Reference 3.5" as well. I have a set of Infinity Perfect 6.5 I'll be putting in the front door, but when I do that I'll be adding 2 JL Audio amps and a Kicker L7 ported enclosure. I'm still on the fence of picking up another set of Perfects for the rear door, but know it will probably be overkill.

The sound is much better so far and not flat like the OEM Alpine system is.
Thanks for your response. Are you generally happy with the 3.5 in the front? Did it throw off the front "soundstage" (I'm probably misusing that term) or is it still in balance with what's coming out of the front door speakers? I'll may move on to the rear speakers in the spring.

·
Registered
2014 GC Limited 4X4
1,350 Posts
I'm very happy, but will say this, the front doors are flat sounding since I swapped all the other speakers in the cab.

On another note with the bass, I had a 2014 RAM and the bass was great. When I got my 2017 with same system the bass sucked. My 2014 GC had good bass, until the software update and that's why I tried the Pioneer shallow hoping to get some back, which never happened. I'm not sure what Mopar changed with the software update or why they would, but it killed the bass response.

·
Registered
2015 WK2 Overland
1,650 Posts
After my center speaker got crackly I took the forums advice and got the Infinity Reference 3.5. Sounds perfect now.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm very happy, but will say this, the front doors are flat sounding since I swapped all the other speakers in the cab.

On another note with the bass, I had a 2014 RAM and the bass was great. When I got my 2017 with same system the bass sucked. My 2014 GC had good bass, until the software update and that's why I tried the Pioneer shallow hoping to get some back, which never happened. I'm not sure what Mopar changed with the software update or why they would, but it killed the bass response.
Pioneer shallow 8" - you didn't like it?

·
Registered
2014 GC Limited 4X4
1,350 Posts
Pioneer shallow 8" - you didn't like it?
I didn't notice any difference myself. So I'd say wasted money, but if you plan to hook it to a seperate amp it should do better. The OEM Alpine setup to me falls flat considering Alpine has always been a great brand.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I didn't notice any difference myself. So I'd say wasted money, but if you plan to hook it to a seperate amp it should do better. The OEM Alpine setup to me falls flat considering Alpine has always been a great brand.
Did you notice any loss of bass after adding coaxials? One concern I have is whether or not replacing the driver w a 2 way speaker would take away from the bass response.

Also, what kind of music do you listen to? Bass in rap music sounds pretty good already.

·
Registered
2014 GC Limited 4X4
1,350 Posts
After doing the software update and losing bass, I barely have any bass and it's turned to max. The rear doors I believe are midrange, the front doors are more midbass if they are like the RAM, which I'm guessing they are. I wish I could remember what the speakers looked like that I pulled out of the rear doors.
I listen to country, top 40, rock and some rap. I can't wait til I can swap everything out and add the amps and sub. My neighbors 2019 Chevy crew cab with Bose system ( I think ) makes my Alpine setup sound like nothing!! It's sad, and my 2017 RAM was the same way until I started swapping speakers, but got rid of it before I swapped in the JL Audio stealthbox and amps. Overall the Mopar stereo systems suck, I think.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
After my center speaker got crackly I took the forums advice and got the Infinity Reference 3.5. Sounds perfect now.
Good to hear. Any problem with its fit in the grand Cherokee? Crutchfield seems to think the magnet may be too big, but suggested a gasket/spacer may raise it slightly enough to prevent a problem at the bottom. This assumes I use the 3032cfx model. I’m not sure if the old 3022cfx model is slightly smaller.

·
Registered
2014 GC Limited 4X4
1,350 Posts
Both models are the exact same, I've seen them in person and went with the 3032cfx

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I installed the 3.5 Reference after wrapping the perimeter with the thin, stick on foam that came in the box. As Crutchfield mentioned, I found the diameter of the magnet bigger than stock, but I was able to push it with a bit of effort to get the tabs flush with the dash. The sounds is improved, if not a bit too bright. At one point I thought I heard a crackle when turned up high, but I'm hoping my ears were playing tricks on me. I'll have a better review with a little time behind the wheel and some adjustments to the factory eq. I expect the soon-to-be installed pair of Kappa 90csx components in the front doors will balance everything out.

Thanks again everyone and have a good week.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Any ideas on getting the subwoofer out? I got 99% of the way there but around the rear passenger door there are these clips I can't figure out how to get loose. Not the poppers, the clips that are part of the panel itself. Stressed one out pretty good. The highest one came loose pretty easy. Got stuck there bc I didn't want to break the others.

·
Registered
JGC
232 Posts
@cptab That's interesting that you had to push yours down to fit. I don't remember having to do that with the 3.5 Ref in my dash. I did the dash and doors in Infinity Ref and yes, at first it was bright, but they loose some of the brightness as they get broken in. I'm fine as I like my speakers a little more on the bright side. On mine, they're crystal clear all the way to max volume. If yours are crackling, try the other one after checking the connections, they should not crackle.

·
Registered
2014 GC Limited 4X4
1,350 Posts
Any ideas on getting the subwoofer out? I got 99% of the way there but around the rear passenger door there are these clips I can't figure out how to get loose. Not the poppers, the clips that are part of the panel itself. Stressed one out pretty good. The highest one came loose pretty easy. Got stuck there bc I didn't want to break the others.
I pulled the floor out and pulled the panel back to access the sub and pull it out. I didn't have to pull the whole panel out.

As mentioned they tone down some, but I also like the brightness compared to the OEM flat sound.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts