Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Just got my first oil change at 5k miles. Not sure if it’s just me or what but as soon as I got it back Im noticing a tick at idle. Oil level looks ok. Does this sound like lifters to anyone else ?
Here’s the videos I got

Yes. Or piston slap. Brand new? Take it to the dealer. You don't want a new engine with lifter tick.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Hard to tell from the video, but make sure its not the purge solenoid.
They are very loud and often sound like a lifter tick . It's under the engine cover if you want to verify, you can put your hand on it and see if the noise coincides with the purge actuation.

·
Registered
2014 Limited
686 Posts
WOW, what year is that? That isn’t purge solenoid, that increase in tap you hear when you step on the gas is speed related and the purge canister isn’t.
Some telltale signs of bad purge canister are, stalling, poor engine performance, check engine light etc... it’s part of the EVAP system and if it’s sticking or stuck open it allows fuel vapors to enter the combustion process at the wrong time madman not be burned.

Generally you can’t hear them if they’re bad or failing unless you experience other symptoms with it.

If that’s a 2011-17 WK2 which I believe it is from the steering wheel appearance you have what is affectionately referred to as the 3.6 Tick. Give me some more info and I can hopefully give you more info.Mac

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
For some reason my old XP PC can't play those Utube videos but can play all other ones WTF.
Any how i'd determine where the tick is originating from.
There are many things that can cause a ticking sound, some minor and some serious.
As PowerJRod ^ said i'd take it back to the dealer and see what they say before the warranty runs out.

Reactions: PowerJRod

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It’s a 2021 WK2 with just under 6k miles . Have not noticed any substantial performance issues. Dealer is going to look at it next week.
WOW, what year is that? That isn’t purge solenoid, that increase in tap you hear when you step on the gas is speed related and the purge canister isn’t.
Some telltale signs of bad purge canister are, stalling, poor engine performance, check engine light etc... it’s part of the EVAP system and if it’s sticking or stuck open it allows fuel vapors to enter the combustion process at the wrong time madman not be burned.

Generally you can’t hear them if they’re bad or failing unless you experience other symptoms with it.

If that’s a 2011-17 WK2 which I believe it is from the steering wheel appearance you have what is affectionately referred to as the 3.6 Tick. Give me some more info and I can hopefully give you more info.Mac
[/

·
Registered
480 Posts
I'd take it back to whoever changed the oil. Did they use the right oil filter? A decrease in oil pressure is what primarily causes the engine to make the ticking noise.
Very true...it's a common concern with the Hemi Engine too from a lot of idling (poor oil pressure causing lifter failure) but in OPs case...might just be a faulty engine to begin with.

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
*** Update the dealer said I was crazy and every 3.6 ticks like that even through if I put it next to another one it is much quieter... I will be taking it elsewhere.
I hear no ticking on my V6 but again my hearing is shot.
I'd try to find the area of the ticking yourself before taking it to another dealer.

·
Registered
480 Posts
*** Update the dealer said I was crazy and every 3.6 ticks like that even through if I put it next to another one it is much quieter... I will be taking it elsewhere.
Yes, every 3.6 ticks...but doesnt sound like a piston is going to shoot through the hood lol. Yours definitely seems louder in that video than mine ever was. Also...just for the record... when I test drove a 2021 3.6 Laredo E (brand new at the time), I had to practically press my ear onto the hood to hear any ticking. Talk to Ram cares, FCA and Mopar.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
New update lol, another tech checked it out and the left bank lifters and camshaft is shot….disappointing on a brand new car. The oil level was checked to be good as well as we confirmed 0W-20 synth was put in it, so I guess just a manufacturer defect.

·
Registered
480 Posts
New update lol, another tech checked it out and the left bank lifters and camshaft is shot….disappointing on a brand new car. The oil level was checked to be good as well as we confirmed 0W-20 synth was put in it, so I guess just a manufacturer defect.
We figured it was the lifters from the sound. Sorry man. At least it's under warranty, have them replace the engine since there could've been secondary damage caused by the cam and lifters. I'm pretty sure it's easier and cheaper for them to to do that anyway.

·
Registered
245 Posts
At least it's under warranty, have them replace the engine since there could've been secondary damage caused by the cam and lifters. I'm pretty sure it's easier and cheaper for them to to do that anyway.
Its certainly not... cams and lifters on one bank is about 3 hours, a complete engine is about 15 and way more expensive.
I've seen a few of the VVL lifters go bad and take the cam with it so its not that common but it does happen.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Its certainly not... cams and lifters on one bank is about 3 hours, a complete engine is about 15 and way more expensive.
I've seen a few of the VVL lifters go bad and take the cam with it so its not that common but it does happen.
Actually yes it is...a new engine is covered under FCA/Mopar warranty. Replacement parts the dealer has to pay for and pay for the labor themselves. With a new engine they get it in for free, send the faulty one back and get what's called a "credit" for the labor hours on the install of the new engine. I was a service advisor for Chysler a few years ago...I hated it.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Actually yes it is...a new engine is covered under FCA/Mopar warranty. Replacement parts the dealer has to pay for and pay for the labor themselves. With a new engine they get it in for free, send the faulty one back and get what's called a "credit" for the labor hours on the install of the new engine. I was a service advisor for Chysler a few years ago...I hated it.
I dont know why you think a complete engine is covered but parts are not...but youre wrong.
in the 30 years I have been in FCA dealerships, what you stated has never been true.

In fact, if I were to replace a complete engine for bad cams and followers , that would be charged back to us in a heartbeat.
we replace followers and cams all the time under warranty , very rarely is a complete engine needed.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I dont know why you think a complete engine is covered but parts are not...but youre wrong.
in the 30 years I have been in FCA dealerships, what you stated has never been true.

In fact, if I were to replace a complete engine for bad cams and followers , that would be charged back to us in a heartbeat.
we replace followers and cams all the time under warranty , very rarely is a complete engine needed.
Who's "we"? Lol I guess someone has a chip on their shoulder. Good talk.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts