Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
its about
JBA - jbaheaders.com
# 1930S

They are originated for KJ,but they fits WK also.

Some 16 months ago i found them damn cheap on ebay (seller: exhaustseller).

I was looking for aftermarket headers cause mine stock start to sound like cracked ones.

Friend of mine instaled them for me some 7 months ago. Instalation took some 5hours for single person.

As reported by STRONGJEFF in the 3.7 lovers thread (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f183/3-7l-performance-love-25595.html#post446207), there is possible for the 2008+ models, that the JBA headers rubs a bit on the steering.

To avoid this, we created a smal dimple in the critical area into the header to become more space.

But as other jeepers reported later on, for the 2005 models there is no need to do that. They dont rub for on the steering.
My install detail confirms:

I used also Thermotec Generation II Copper Exhaust Insulating Header Wrap and Adhesive Backed Heat Barrier from Thermotec.com to avoid any danger for the steering.
IT works!

This wrap-mod casuses also, your gasses are blowen out from the headers much faster. This is good for hp gain.
Thermo-Tec : Adhesive Backed Heat Barrier
Thermo-Tec : Generation II Copper Exhaust Insulating Header Wrap

Its recomended to use thermotec special spray before you instal the wrapped headers. Thermo-Tec : Hi-Heat Coating
The wrap longevity becomes major improovement. Be also sure, you have some of theirs thin steel heat clamps. They are needed to secure the wrap ends.

For the instalation i used brand new stock header sealing from mopar. (I lost the JBA sealing somewhere) It works also.

I used the 4 stainless steel bolts and nuts delivered fith JBA to mount the exhaust pipes to the headers. This was a big fail. There is no rust :) to make then tight enought so they are still getting loose by the machine vibration.

After second atempt to make them tight during some 3000 miles, i changed them for some longer, not stinless bolts and i used two nuts on each bolt to make them stable. And they are.

Its noyt a race care, just my daily driver. Anyway, this upgrade bring noticeable improvement at 3000rpm+

Must Have ;)

... oh yes, my factory ones were not cracked, just the pipe nuts were loose :))

· Project Six Shooter V2 / ROUSH Prototype Tech
2000 Grand Cherokee 4.0 w/Select-trac
9,251 Posts
wow man, good info, glad I can contribute

9,251 Posts
actually the bolt for the y-pipe are low grade grade 5 bolt when they should be grade 8. I had the issue at first when the y-pipe and header separarted going down the road

9,251 Posts
Im running unwrapped on mine. Had to plug a hole on the right header in the collector. I suspect I cuzed it from over tightening the bolts on that side cuz I had issues with em coming out. Didn't and still no cracks like that tho....

9,251 Posts
Just wondering bro, did you repair or replace the headers yet? It may be easier to have the cracks welded shut. And more cost effective too.

9,251 Posts
that suck man

9,251 Posts
How the heck did that wrap do that? I've been looking all over to find info about the JBA headers on a wk 3.7l, I have a 07. Do you know for sure that yours cracked because of the wrap or something with the headers from the get go?
Simple. The wrap traps heat and it overheated the headers

9,251 Posts
Does the transmission have to come out in order to install the headers?
Nope. Only the started has to come out to do the drivers side. You'll have to move the heater core lines up some too as part of the install. They must stay up too

9,251 Posts
Cool. Thanks!! Now I just need to figure eout how to get the cats out without removing the tranny. This should be fun, but well worth the effort. First mod..:D
Lol. The trans can stay in even taking them out but to put the headers in they can stay in place. Only time you'd need to even mess with the trans is if you pull the mid pipes (cats) out. You'd need to remove the trans mount/crossmember

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.