Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Administrator
2018 Jeep Trackhawk
56,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2.0L hurricane, inline 6 GME turbo and a NEW Hemi(maybe 2021) to replace the 5.7 and 6.4 hemis. The ZF 8 speeds will continue...probably upgraded. The 6.2l sc hemi will also continue.

to summarize:

-2.0L inline 4 turbo "hurricane" base engine

-inline 6 cylinder GME turbo motor

-(late 2020 or 2021) NEW Hemi engine to replace the 5.7 and 6.4 hemi

-ZF 8 speeds remain

-6.2 sc hemi remains(possible upgrades)

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
Re: 3 NEW engines for the 2020 WL Grand Cherokee

Just to clarify - the existing Hemi will continue until the new one comes (in 2021 or whenever)? That is, there will be NO GAP in Hemi availability?

·
Registered
2014 JGC Summit
461 Posts

Good lord, how old is the hemi now? Hasn't it been out since the early 2000s?

What's a GME turbo? They will actually have a turbo 6 and it won't replace the non-SRT hemi?

·
Registered
Trailhawk
968 Posts

The inline 6 turbo sounds interesting

The base engine will prob be the hurricane (Laredo trim). Limited and overland would probably get the inline 6 with option for hemi

Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
Reactions: AC7880 and Briant73

·
Registered
723 Posts

GME = Gasoline Medium Engine
Ok thought the G was for global didn't think about gasoline. Also since DI has not been added to the Pentastar v6(as of yet) does this signify they (FCA) are moving away from that engine instead of upgrading it?

I always liked the Pentastar in my Jeep has been one of the better V6 engines I have ever owned.

·
Registered
3,616 Posts

Start thinking about Premium gas folks!

·
Premium Member
639 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts

Start thinking about Premium gas folks!
In the Mazda CX9 4 banger turbo they list HP figures for regular or premium gas. You can use either, just less power with the regular. The Audi Q7 for 62k has a 2 liter turbo.

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts

Just to clarify - the existing Hemi will continue until the new one comes (in 2021 or whenever)? That is, there will be NO GAP in Hemi availability?
Yes? No?

·
Administrator
2018 Jeep Trackhawk
56,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
Subaru Legacy STIEVO
2,010 Posts

I am not too happy to see the Pentastar go into the sunset and be replaced with an inline engine. There may be advantages to inline over V arrangements but packaging is important to me. I feel current SUVs have become entirely too big and I am not looking forward to 4 feet of engine hood or the bad driving dynamics of having the engine over the front axle instead of behind.

·
Registered
2011 GC Overland
3,729 Posts

I am not too happy to see the Pentastar go into the sunset and be replaced with an inline engine. There may be advantages to inline over V arrangements but packaging is important to me. I feel current SUVs have become entirely too big and I am not looking forward to 4 feet of engine hood or the bad driving dynamics of having the engine over the front axle instead of behind.
I will give away a little of that for more articulation. Crossing a small ditch diagonally requires my GC to dangle two tires in the air. One in the ditch and the opposite rear off the ground. Practically no articulation at all. My 98 Dakota can handle those better in two wheel drive no problem while I struggle with AWD Grand Cherokee. One of my biggest complaints. There's no excuse for having to use momentum to get across a small ditch when an older sedan goes across it without even noticing.

·
Super Moderator
9,275 Posts

It seems reasonable that they could take the hemi design and make some modern improvements to it and yes, weight reduction should be part of that.

·
Super Moderator
9,275 Posts

JM', I don't think that the purpose of this thread is to lay out all the potential options...Scott was just indicating that there likely are some new engines coming our way. It's way too soon to know everything they are considering...and I would bet that the marketplace and regulatory situation will factor into this, too.

·
Administrator
2018 Jeep Trackhawk
56,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Exactly

·
Registered
2014 JGC Eco-Diesel
10 Posts

A new Diesel engine would be nice. An inline 6 cylinder turbo diesel would be really tempting to trade up to.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage

1 - 20 of 58 Posts