Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Jeep Grand Cherokee
3,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, so i've got the 4.7L and I'm thinking about converting it to the 4.7 HO... as far as i know the major difference is the cam... but im wondering if there is anything else thats different?

Also... anybody make that swap? How difficult is it to do and how is the end result??

Thanks!

-Dave

·
Administrator
2018 Jeep Trackhawk
56,970 Posts
intake manifold, beehive springs, intake also right off the top of my head. wk and wjjeeps has some great info on both motors

·
Registered
Jeep Grand Cherokee
3,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ahhh thanks guys... seems like a bigger deal then its worth. Wonder why they discontinued the HO in 04?...

Also, here is a nice little snippit from that wjjeeps.com link that Milous posted...

HO manifold and cams upgrade Notes: When the HO was first introduced in the summer of 2001, DC service training literature featured statements and warnings that the upgraded parts used on the HO engine were NOT interchangeable with the standard 4.7L engine. So we found it interesting that later on Mopar introduced a "HO" performance cams and manifold kit, considering that these are the exact same parts that the factory used for the 2002 4.7L HO. The Mopar kit includes gaskets and typically takes from 4-8 hours or more to install. It is recommended that BOTH the manifold and the camshafts be installed together if doing this upgrade (not just one or the other).
Quite a few Dodge truck owners have successfully installed the manifold and cams into their standard 4.7 engines without any major problems. Most have reported horsepower gains from 5% to 15%, varying at different RPM's. Anyone interested in doing this upgrade or learning more about it should visit the message boards at DodgeDakotas.com and search through the HO related posts. Some Jeep owners are now considering this upgrade, we'll report on the results as info becomes available.

·
Administrator
2018 Jeep Trackhawk
56,970 Posts
from what Im told...the newer -5-07 intake manifold is just as good as the HO manifold. To upgrade the manifold on the 05-07...you need to upgrade to the 08+ 4.7 manifold. Its a dirrect fit once you remove the EGR valve and add the airram TB adapter. No cutting of the cowl etc is needed on the 05-07 like on the WJ's. If your gonna do the HO cams...do the 08+ manifold and SCT tune to go with them.

·
Registered
Jeep Grand Cherokee
3,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Scott, what did you do to make your 4.7 a 4.7 HO? did you do that ^^^

·
Administrator
2018 Jeep Trackhawk
56,970 Posts
I had the 08 manifold briefly....long story...I no longer have it. All I have now is the 06 4.7, ho cams, beehive springs, ported heads, fastman tb, K&N intake, 180 tstat, SCT tune.

·
Registered
Jeep Grand Cherokee
3,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
damn, i bet that thing sounds beastly...

·
Administrator
2018 Jeep Trackhawk
56,970 Posts
it also has a dual 3" ss exhaust into dual srt resonators....sounds ok,.....lol

·
Registered
Jeep Grand Cherokee
3,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
haha

ahhhhhh modesty... the forgotten word.

·
Registered
2010 JEEP SRT8
1,742 Posts
All I have now is the 06 4.7, ho cams, beehive springs, ported heads, fastman tb, K&N intake, 180 tstat, SCT tune.
it also has a dual 3" ss exhaust into dual srt resonators....sounds ok,.....lol
If you dont mind me asking.... is that the combo that put you in the 13's?

:treed: :drool:

·
Registered
Jeep G. Cherokee
1,583 Posts
Did someone say 4.7¿

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

·
Banned
305 Posts
lmao Terry Sawchuk went to the hospital in long beach where i live -_- thats to funny how u have him as your pic..that guy was a NASTY goaltender..shame how he died..anyways.

·
Registered
Jeep Grand Cherokee
3,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
lmao Terry Sawchuk went to the hospital in long beach where i live -_- thats to funny how u have him as your pic..that guy was a NASTY goaltender..shame how he died..anyways.
Ya man, that guy is my hero...

·
Registered
Jeep G. Cherokee
1,583 Posts
correct me if im wrong but didnt you get rid of your 4.7? if you didnt... mind posting a pic? :rolleyes:
I'm still a 4.7 though heavily modified. I have a build thread named Richie's supercharged 4.7HO

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
69 Posts
hi my vin states N wich states on my build sheet the engine is a 4.7L V6 High Output...but then it says a couple lines down EVA Engine- 4.7L V8 MPI...so im curious do i have a 4.7L or a 4.7L H.O.?

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Non-HO...supposedly some of the later gen 1s got some different parts but no reliable evidence.

I may be porting a Gen 1 manifold soon, will be interesting to see if it ends up being a cheaper alternative to a 08+ manifold. The 08+ is a beautiful piece but is more expensive than most want to spend.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey guys, so i've got the 4.7L and I'm thinking about converting it to the 4.7 HO... as far as i know the major difference is the cam... but im wondering if there is anything else thats different?

Also... anybody make that swap? How difficult is it to do and how is the end result??

Thanks!

-Dave

I'm doing the exact same thing I'm replacing the engine wiring harness on my 2001 4.7L WJ Grand Cherokee Laredo with a wiring harness from a 4.7L HO (or possibly WK) engine wiring harness from the junk yard. I installed it and the Sentry key would not let me start it. I did a visual inspection and they looked the same. But at this point I'm thinking some of the connector pinouts are actually different on these two harness's....... your thoughts on this?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just swapped them yesterday, piece of cake it was easy but went I went to crank it the Sentry key flagged me down???

1 - 20 of 23 Posts