Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has any one experienced issues with engaging 4low in the wk2?

I have a 2018 Wk2 QT2 and for some reason I'm unable to engage 4low. All I get is the flashing 4low light and then it disappears after about 5-10 seconds.
No weird sounds that I can hear and I've tried engaging it while going just under 3mph but that hasn't seemed to work.

Appreciate any help in advance!

·
Registered
2017 Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4 Hemi & 2015 Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4 V6
80 Posts

I have a 2018 Wk2 QT2 and for some reason I'm unable to engage 4low. All I get is the flashing 4low light and then it disappears after about 5-10 seconds.
No weird sounds that I can hear and I've tried engaging it while going just under 3mph but that hasn't seemed to work.

Are you in neutral when you’re trying it?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmmm. I hear an audible motor whirring sound when I engage 4low. Maybe a fuse issue?
True. I think I remember hearing some short of low pitch noise when it did engage in the past. I'll see if I can find the fuse, hopefully that's the issue. Thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you don't hear the electric transfer case motor engaging, it may be time to check it directly.
Well right at the end of the 4low attempting to engage, just as the flashing light ends I feel the car make a slight jerk forward. There's a faint sound but it's honestly hard the tell what it is.

Any idea which fuse I should be looking for?

·
Registered
613 Posts
My '15 will engage low just sitting still but still in drive. Only takes a couple seconds and low is ready to go.

·
Registered
2017 Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4 Hemi & 2015 Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4 V6
80 Posts
Well right at the end of the 4low attempting to engage, just as the flashing light ends I feel the car make a slight jerk forward. There's a faint sound but it's honestly hard the tell what it is.

Any idea which fuse I should be looking for?

F94 is the Transfer case module fuse but if you’re feeling a jerk and hearing a sound then the fuse is probably good. Sounds like it might be the actual transfer case motor not engaging all the way and it slips back into 4hi when you move.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
View attachment 233245
F94 is the Transfer case module fuse but if you’re feeling a jerk and hearing a sound then the fuse is probably good. Sounds like it might be the actual transfer case motor not engaging all the way and it slips back into 4hi when you move.
Thanks for the image. I pulled the fuse and it looks good. It's a slight move forward right as the flashing stops. Guess I'll just have to take it to the dealership and have them look at it.

·
Registered
2015 WK2 Overland
1,810 Posts
Have you tried whacking the motor with a hammer?

Have a friend attempt the shift while smacking the motor. Make sure to chock the wheels....for obvious reasons.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Thanks for the image. I pulled the fuse and it looks good. It's a slight move forward right as the flashing stops. Guess I'll just have to take it to the dealership and have them look at it.
FWIW, Last year I had a small but persistent leak in the rear transfer case seal. In my case, it didn't cause any issues with the transfer case motor. But...... the tech at the dealer mentioned that a malfunctioning transfer case motor being a common failure when that leak is present. I guess his reasoning (other than the experience of working on Jeeps every day) is that it's designed such that the leak ends up slinging lubricant all over the little electric motor and eventually it finds it's way in. Seemed plausible to me. Regardless, I bring it up mainly because if you take it to the dealer it may be worth checking to see if you have that leak, and fix it at the same time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
FWIW, Last year I had a small but persistent leak in the rear transfer case seal. In my case, it didn't cause any issues with the transfer case motor. But...... the tech at the dealer mentioned that a malfunctioning transfer case motor being a common failure when that leak is present. I guess his reasoning (other than the experience of working on Jeeps every day) is that it's designed such that the leak ends up slinging lubricant all over the little electric motor and eventually it finds it's way in. Seemed plausible to me. Regardless, I bring it up mainly because if you take it to the dealer it may be worth checking to see if you have that leak, and fix it at the same time.
That makes sense. Appreciate the response and I will definetly mention it when I take it in.

·
Registered
My Jeep
19 Posts

Hi Samhere
Not quite the same situation from your description but similar with the with a sound emminating from under the vehicle.
I was actually locked in 4low. It was the module located under the left hand seat. It had failed. Cost of replacement module in Au Dollars was $540.00. I purchased a new module and fitted it myself. Unplug the old one and plug in the new one. A few back and forwards in the drive and problem was fixed.
Pedro

·
Registered
8 Posts

Just tried on my 2014 GC Laredo optioned with QD11, QL and factory bash plates. Started motor, foot on brake, into neutral, pressed and held 4w low button for a few seconds and it went into low. Reverse procedure and it went back to high. I think you may have to see a Jeep mechanic.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts