Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee WK2 75th Anniversary 3.6L V6
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So to give some preface I have a 2016 JGC Limited 75th Anniversary. She’s got about 105k miles on her and was received when it had 55k miles on it about 2 years ago. She also is a 4x2 that has the Factory Tow Package. I plan on keeping this car for the long run, but am keeping my eyes out for other newer potential JGC to get if any should pop up. Whilst looking at other WK2’s the one thing I’d change from what I have now is adding 4x4 onto the next one. Although that seems to be a bit harder than I thought.

Ultimately my goal is that I’m trying to find a JGC that has both 4x4 AND the Factory Tow Package, but not one that has air suspension. I’ve heard too many horror stories of how unreliable they are and I’m quite content with the regular suspension they usually have. If I’m not mistaken, it seems like I can get what I want by going with either the Trailhawk, Summit or Overland trims, except they have air suspension and are a bit on the pricey side. I’ve even thought about getting a WK2 and having a dealership install the tow hitch and wiring, but I won’t get the higher tow rating since I technically don’t have the other necessary items to make it so.

So my question to you all is this; Is there a JGC WK2 trim level that has 4x4, the Factory Tow Package with no air suspension?

· Registered
5,395 Posts
Don't know about the Summit or Overland but all TrailHawks come with air suspension including the towing pkg.
Far as the towing package installed later, whatever trim you end up buying i'd make sure it comes from the factory with it.

· Registered
2019 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
404 Posts
Factory Tow was an option on the 2019 models, a lot of the vehicles we looked at when we bought ours were Limiteds with the Tow Package. But don't assume that because it has a hitch, it has a tow package. Use one of the search engines from this site to check the VIN and see if the Factory Tow Package is included.

Ended up with a Trailhawk, with the air suspension. So far (fingers crossed) haven't had an issue.

· Administrator
11,978 Posts
Your target needs to be a Limited if you don't want QL, but do want 4x4 and Factory Towing availability. MOST JGCs have 4x4 so that part should be easy. For Factory Towing, it's important to inspect the build sheet for the VIN you are considering to insure that it actually has Factory Towing as it has implications around capacities. Factory Towing, as you likely know, isn't just a hitch and connectors for wiring; it also includes modifications to suspension, cooling and electrical systems to properly support the JGC's towing capabilities and capacities.

Reactions: 7492 and Tj13

· Registered
12 Posts
Your target needs to be a Limited if you don't want QL, but do want 4x4 and Factory Towing availability. MOST JGCs have 4x4 so that part should be easy. For Factory Towing, it's important to inspect the build sheet for the VIN you are considering to insure that it actually has Factory Towing as it has implications around capacities. Factory Towing, as you likely know, isn't just a hitch and connectors for wiring; it also includes modifications to suspension, cooling and electrical systems to properly support the JGC's towing capabilities and capacities.

Agree with Jim_in_PA, especially about inspecting the build sheet.~ Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4 with Factory Towing Package and without Quadra-Lift was the model I purchased. One other advantage of the Limited is the 4x4 upgrade to Quadra-Trac II with 4WD LOW.

· Registered
30 Posts
Wheel Tire Sky Vehicle Car
Wheel Tire Sky Vehicle Car
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

I have a 2020 Lardeo E with factory tow package, Quadra Trac II and All weather trail rated package

Its about the best it gets without the air suspension
The 2020 North edition (A Lardeo with the Altitude interior, Alpine stereo & Navigation, low range and skid plates), with factory tow package, can tow and with Gladiator wheels shod with 245/70-17 Blizzak DM-V2s, it's a winter beast.

· Registered
2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee Lardeo E
44 Posts

· Registered
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee WK2 75th Anniversary 3.6L V6
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I appreciate all the feedback! It’s nice to know that there are trim levels that have what I’m looking for without the air suspension, also sweet looking rides!

· Registered
202 Posts
It was part of the North Winter Pkg or whatever it was called
Gotcha. I thought the Altitude was a street-focussed Laredo up-trim (20's and QTI) and the North Edition was a separate off-road focussed Larado up-trim (18's, QTII, skids, tow hooks). Does your sticker say Laredo Altitude North Edition or just Laredo North Edition?

Fwiw my Laredo E was ordered with all the functional bits that make the North Edition off-road focussed: QT2, skids, tow hooks, 18" wheels w/AT tires, all-weather floor mats, off-road pages. Plus remote start, 18" radio, heated seats & steering wheel. I call it my budget Trailhawk - functionally missing only the eLSD, larger -diameter rear axle, and increased articulation. It's missing the Altitude-style interior stuff tho, like leather and Alpine. I didn't think the North was available when I ordered my Laredo E or else I would have gotten that.

· Registered
196 Posts
Grand Cherokee Laredo Altitude ... The order package...All–Weather Capability Group $750 Hill Descent Control Mopar cargo area liner Mopar slush mats Quadra–Trac II 4x4 system Selec–Terrain Traction Management System Tow hooks

· Registered
202 Posts
Grand Cherokee Laredo Altitude ... The order package...All–Weather Capability Group $750 Hill Descent Control Mopar cargo area liner Mopar slush mats Quadra–Trac II 4x4 system Selec–Terrain Traction Management System Tow hooks
Well - good to know, I learned something new! I never knew that package was available on the Altitude.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts