Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any experience with the American Racing headers & exhaust for the 5.7 L? American Racing claims a 30 HP gain when using their exhaust (headers to tailpipes) without a tune. Is this a legit claim?

I'm considering this upgrade for my 2015 High Altitude but worried about drone. Many posts in this forum recommend corsa cat back upgrades for drone control. Is it possible to mate AR's headers and high flow cats with a corsa syatem?

http://fasthemis.com/i-23835457-american-racing-headers-jeep-grand-cherokee-5-7-l-2011-2016.html

This system is available in three different pipe diameters. Can someone she'd some light on the differences? Thanks all.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Does anyone have any experience with the American Racing headers & exhaust for the 5.7 L? American Racing claims a 30 HP gain when using their exhaust (headers to tailpipes) without a tune. Is this a legit claim?

I'm considering this upgrade for my 2015 High Altitude but worried about drone. Many posts in this forum recommend corsa cat back upgrades for drone control. Is it possible to mate AR's headers and high flow cats with a corsa syatem?

American Racing Headers: Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 L 2011 - 2016

This system is available in three different pipe diameters. Can someone she'd some light on the differences? Thanks all.
30hp is a tall order but not completely out of reach. I am a professional tuner have have done plenty 5.7 testing on our dyno. The best results I have seen were using SRT8 manifolds and crossover pipes on a 5.7 WK but I do know american racing makes a nice product. I also would not put any exhaust other then a corsa on my jeep other then stock.. I would be happy with 20WHP from that system speaking from previous experience. If you are looking for a bit more then that I would suggest a heads/cam upgrade or forced induction since the hp per dollar ratio is greater even though a bit larger investment is required.

I would look into SRT8 manifold compatibility/differences first since you will not get the added sound while retaining a stock style header.

·
Registered
14 Jeep GC Overland
347 Posts
I also would not put any exhaust other then a corsa on my jeep other then stock.
Does Corsa make a header for the 5.7L WK2? Besides the drone issue with the other exhaust vendors, is there any other reasons why you like Corsa exhaust products.

Thanks
Michael Plummer

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would look into SRT8 manifold compatibility/differences first since you will not get the added sound while retaining a stock style header.
Are you saying that you think the SRT8 manifolds might perform better than the American Racing long tube headers?

Just to clarify...I am wanting to use AR headers and Corsa cat backs if that is possible. I would certainly use Corsa headers if they made them.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Does Corsa make a header for the 5.7L WK2? Besides the drone issue with the other exhaust vendors, is there any other reasons why you like Corsa exhaust products.

Thanks
Michael Plummer
I do not believe corsa makes headers. I like corsa because they use 300 series stainless (huge difference), quality, and more then anything the sound.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Are you saying that you think the SRT8 manifolds might perform better than the American Racing long tube headers?

Just to clarify...I am wanting to use AR headers and Corsa cat backs if that is possible. I would certainly use Corsa headers if they made them.
I would venture to guess the ar headers would make more power then srt8 headers.. I think the ar longtubes and corsa catback would be an excellent upgrade.. Srt8 manifolds were just a proven cheap upgrade on wk/xk i was using for comparison.

·
Registered
14 Jeep GC Overland
347 Posts
I would venture to guess the ar headers would make more power then srt8 headers.. I think the ar longtubes and corsa catback would be an excellent upgrade.. Srt8 manifolds were just a proven cheap upgrade on wk/xk i was using for comparison.
Thanks for the information. Now if I could find dyno results from the ARH on the 5.7L WK2, that would be awesome.

Thanks again
Michael Plummer

·
Registered
345 Posts
30hp is a tall order but not completely out of reach. I am a professional tuner have have done plenty 5.7 testing on our dyno. The best results I have seen were using SRT8 manifolds and crossover pipes on a 5.7 WK but I do know american racing makes a nice product. I also would not put any exhaust other then a corsa on my jeep other then stock.. I would be happy with 20WHP from that system speaking from previous experience. If you are looking for a bit more then that I would suggest a heads/cam upgrade or forced induction since the hp per dollar ratio is greater even though a bit larger investment is required.

Are headers legal? Can emissions and sensors be attached? I know it varies by state, but I don't think you can get away with headers in Calif.... ?

·
Registered
7 Posts

Where is the best place to find the manifolds and pipes?

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi there, im new on here but keen to get some advice, i would like to put a set of extractors/headers on my 5.7 jeep grand cherokee, but its a right hand drive, we are in New Zealand,. can anyone help me here?

cheers
jeff

·
Registered
2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk, ProCharged 5.7L Hemi
449 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
@jeffozzgrandcherokee I would contact American Racing Headers.

I put their full length on my 2020 GC Trailhawk, 5.7 Hemi. Great fit, awesome sound, and the power gains were noticeable. But I couldn't guarantee their fit on a right hand drive, but they would know.

American Racing Headers 1-3/4" x 3" Long System with Cats for 11-Current Grand Cherokee 5.7L - JPGC-11134300LSWC

In terms of power, do you feel like the headers were worth it? Thinking of long tubes on my 5.7 Summit along with the Hooker Blackheart cat back. Hooker makes short length headers for this vehicle as well, but I am unsure as to why they only make shorties instead of long tubes.

·
Registered
449 Posts
In terms of power, do you feel like the headers were worth it? Thinking of long tubes on my 5.7 Summit along with the Hooker Blackheart cat back. Hooker makes short length headers for this vehicle as well, but I am unsure as to why they only make shorties instead of long tubes.
Yes, noticeable power difference. In my opinion, if you are going to go through the trouble of installing headers, why waist the effort with "shortie" style headers? Why not reap the benefits of the Long Tubes?
After seeing the restrictions in the OEM exhaust manifold, I am sure that the Shortie headers will be an improvement, but will not provide the benefits of the long tubes.

The Hooker Blackheart Shorty Headers do offer a 50% weight savings, Less Restrictive, oem design, without any "Advertised" horsepower gain (retains the factory catalytic converters), (oh, and are 1/3 the cost).

Long Tube Headers, weight savings, Less Restrictive, offer an "Advertised" 30 - 40 horsepower gain (even more with a tune), come with high flow catalytic converters (NOT California friendly), bolt up to existing or aftermarket cat back system (may require some modifications to the mid-pipe on the right side (the ball joint had to be cut off to slip into my Corsa Cat back on the right side (easy modification))), and are expensive.
... yes, I would buy them again; yes, I would refer them top a friend. ;)

·
Registered
416 Posts
Thank you for the detailed response and sharing your observations. I'm assuming you notice the power gains throughout the RPM ranges? How is the low end torque?

·
Registered
449 Posts
Thank you for the detailed response and sharing your observations. I'm assuming you notice the power gains throughout the RPM ranges? How is the low end torque?
Definitely more responsive throughout. BUT, the honest answer: I also installed a Holley EFI Intake Manifold, larger fuel injectors (600cc from the Hell Cat) and a larger Throttle Body (92mm from the Hell Cat) at the same time.
I am also supercharged (ProCharger), so I have a lot of additional blot-ons and a custom tune.

I have a lot of air and fuel that is passing through the engine that can really take advantage of the Long Tube headers and full exhaust.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Definitely more responsive throughout. BUT, the honest answer: I also installed a Holley EFI Intake Manifold, larger fuel injectors (600cc from the Hell Cat) and a larger Throttle Body (92mm from the Hell Cat) at the same time.
I am also supercharged (ProCharger), so I have a lot of additional blot-ons and a custom tune.

I have a lot of air and fuel that is passing through the engine that can really take advantage of the Long Tube headers and full exhaust.
I remember your other thread and asking for video. Great build, glad you are happy with the results.

99% sure I wont SC my Summit, but I was looking into the 6.4 intake conversion that some people do to their 5.7 engines. But for now, i'd love to do the long tubes with the Hooker Blackheart system. It was that or MRT, which I think sounds too "farty" for my tastes. I'll have to also retune if and when I do the exhaust.

·
Registered
2018 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
40 Posts
... bolt up to existing or aftermarket cat back system (may require some modifications to the mid-pipe on the right side (the ball joint had to be cut off to slip into my Corsa Cat back on the right side (easy modification))), and are expensive.
... yes, I would buy them again; yes, I would refer them top a friend. ;)
I appreciate your insight in the thread, this is exactly the exhaust setup I want - the AR headers into Corsa catback.

Can you shed some more details on the ball joint issue? I'm trying to over that in my head and I can't figure out what the interference was.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I appreciate your insight in the thread, this is exactly the exhaust setup I want - the AR headers into Corsa catback.

Can you shed some more details on the ball joint issue? I'm trying to over that in my head and I can't figure out what the interference was.
On the stock exhaust (and on the Corsa Cat-Back exhaust), the left side Catalytic Converter (Mid-Pipe) has a Ball Style Flange coming off the manifold and a Ball Style Flange going to the Cat-Back; Ball Style Flange on both ends.

On the right side, there is a Ball Flange coming off the manifold into the Mid-Pipe and a Slip-Joint going into the Cat-Back. Ball Flange on one end and a Slip-Joint on the other.

American Racing Headers have Ball Flange on the headers. The Catalytic Converters also have Ball-Flange on both ends. Therefore, it is impossible to connect the right side mid-pipe’s Ball Flange to the Slip-Joint on the Cat-Back. ARH made the mid-pipe long enough, and at the correct size so that we are able to cut the Ball-Joint off, message the rough edges a bit and it will slip into the Slip-Joint of the Cat-Back on the right side.

In the pictures:
Look at the headers, notice the Ball-Joint on the end.
On the Corsa Exhaust, the top right piece is the resonator that connects to the Mid-Pipe, notice that it has a Slip-Joint.
The Ball can be cut off of the mid-pipe at the flange, and it is the correct size to slip into the Slip-Joint of the Corsa exhaust.

I hope this helps. :)

·
Registered
2018 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
40 Posts
That was extremely helpful! Thank you! I was getting lost at "ball joint" lol. That makes so much more sense.

Love your build, by the way. If I didn't have a warranty to keep intact, I'd go the SC route as well. It would be with a roots/TVS or a TS Whipple, though. I love that scream. I still have a supercharged project car around to cure that itch when I need it, but man I'd love it on the Trailhawk. CSPRacing seems to sell a Whipple kit, but i also know CSP drop ships most of their stuff so I'd love to know who actually pieces that kit together. Edelbrock makes a TVS kit, but it's generic and I'm not sure what clearance issues may exist on a WK2.

·
Registered
2017 Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4 Hemi & 2015 Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4 V6
142 Posts
All this talk of headers has them moving up my mod list. I know the 5.7 makes good power but is choked down on the exhaust side. I have a 6.4 intake manifold sitting in my garage waiting to get the msd box to control the svr. I really want to dyno my Jeep stock but want to do it after I put the 32” tires on. I tow a decent amount so I want as much low end torque as I can get. Gonna start saving up now.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts