Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 20 of 136 Posts

·
Banned
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys just curious if anyone here has HONESTLY noticed any real power gains with minor mods to their 5.7L wk2's? And if so what are they?!
Please don't turn this into a mod fanboy war.

Some history:

I was a little disappointed by the 5.7L (360Hp) in my 2011 GC Overland when I picked her up a year ago. Coming from a 2004 WJ with the 4.0L i6 (200hp after k&n filter) I expected more out of an additional 160hp, even with a fatter heavier ass on the wk2.

I'm not saying she's a pig, but it seemed like the 360hp was more of a neccesity than a bonus. (Can only imagine how sloth like the 3.6L is)

I also had a '93 ZJ with the 318 / 5.2L back in high school (2001 era). She was sluggish stock too, but after a k&n and dual exhaust she got down and dirty.

So with this wk2 I truly expected more.
Anyway the first mod was the Corsa cat back. I noticed minimal if any true power gains with this. Obviously the note sounds 100% healthier and she doesn't seem to be gasping for air as bad at WOT, but the sensation of being thrown back in the seat just isn't there.

Next I added a K&N cold air intake... NOTHING. Annoyed I swapped to the afe stage 2, and again, notta.

Finally, I bought a DiabloSport Trinity T1000 ... After successfully installing the 93 octane performance tune and running 93 gas... STILL no real power gains.
On paper I should be pushing around 410HP...

My 0-60 times are still identical, and gas mileage is unchanged.

I've sunk almost $1,900 into "cheap" mods hoping to wake this thing up even just a little, and I'm just not seeing or feeling it..

Has anyone else tried these upgrades and can they TRULY, HONESTLY (swear on their mothers grave) say that they've noticed real power gains?

So many people drop a pretty penny on these mods and talk themselves into HP gains that just aren't there. I know my buddy has a 2012 Charger SRT8, ran a Borla exhaust and Predator tune and it seems exactly the same to me but he swears by it...

Any suggestion?

·
Registered
overland
865 Posts
welcome to the real world of aftermarket performance make believe jargon. it is what it is. you arent going to get noticable high hp gains with a few bolt ons.

·
Registered
Jeep
825 Posts
What kind of 0-60 times are you getting with your setup?

I have a 2014 wk2 with the 3.6l and I did a lot of the same stuff as you

Finally I just supercharged it and now I'm pushing 330hp to the wheels and can get 0-60 in 4.9 secs

Seems like a supercharger may be the only way to really get the power gains your seeking

Throw a supercharger on your motor and you'll be in the 425-450hp to the wheels range

Faster by a lot than most srt's

·
Banned
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
welcome to the real world of aftermarket performance make believe jargon. it is what it is. you arent going to get noticable high hp gains with a few bolt ons.

Dissapointing first response but honesty is appreciated nonetheless.

My 5.2L ZJ definitely woke up with the k&n and an exhaust upgrade... (Chopped off the cat and ran dual tips post v-force muffler)

I have some high flow cats I need to have installed (going to run electronic cut outs too)

Maybe the wk2 is just running 99% with the current intake / fuel delivery.

What would be a moderate upgrade to make noticeable gains?

I'm open to anything but internals and a super / turbo charger (still under warranty)

·
Banned
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What kind of 0-60 times are you getting with your setup?

I have a 2014 wk2 with the 3.6l and I did a lot of the same stuff as you

Finally I just supercharged it and now I'm pushing 330hp to the wheels and can get 0-60 in 4.9 secs

Seems like a supercharger may be the only way to really get the power gains your seeking

Throw a supercharger on your motor and you'll be in the 425-450hp to the wheels range

Faster by a lot than most srt's
The 0-60's times are low 6's to high 6's. Occasionally she'll bog and run a low 7... This is stock, with Corsa only, with Corsa and afe intake, with Corsa afe intake and performance tune. I've even run the 87 and 91 performance tunes. Im always in that 0-60 time range.

I wonder if my gear ratio is just piss poor for acceleration. It has the factory towing package, do you or anyone know if having a stock towing package means a low ass gear?

I almost held out for a 2012-2013 to get the 6 speed transmission but read that even though it has 6 gears it only uses 5 (2 and 3 take turns based on acceleration needs) but overall acceleration isn't any different.

Your 2014 has the 8 speed which I KNOW helps with shift points and gets more power on the road through RPM power curve.

Did you notice any real gains before the charger?

I will consider super charging my engine but only after warranty is up.

How many lbs of boost are you running? What do you think I could run w/o having to beef the internals?

I've heard the 5.7L can approach 800 HP before worrying about it coming apart. But how in the hell do you even begin to get there?

Is there a way to increase fuel volume to the engine? Larger pump?

This is getting to the limit of my performance gains knowledge. I'm no gear head and don't want to yank the engine and do all sorts of crap.

But with the quick gains my ZJ saw, and how relatively peppy the 4.0L WJ was, I'm just surprise how sluggish this wk2 is with the largest and highest HP engine I've owned.

·
Project Six Shooter V2 / ROUSH Prototype Tech
14 WK2
9,170 Posts
The 0-60's times are low 6's to high 6's. Occasionally she'll bog and run a low 7... This is stock, with Corsa only, with Corsa and afe intake, with Corsa afe intake and performance tune. I've even run the 87 and 91 performance tunes. Im always in that 0-60 time range.

I wonder if my gear ratio is just piss poor for acceleration. It has the factory towing package, do you or anyone know if having a stock towing package means a low ass gear?

I almost held out for a 2012-2013 to get the 6 speed transmission but read that even though it has 6 gears it only uses 5 (2 and 3 take turns based on acceleration needs) but overall acceleration isn't any different.

Your 2014 has the 8 speed which I KNOW helps with shift points and gets more power on the road through RPM power curve.

Did you notice any real gains before the charger?

I will consider super charging my engine but only after warranty is up.

How many lbs of boost are you running? What do you think I could run w/o having to beef the internals?

I've heard the 5.7L can approach 800 HP before worrying about it coming apart. But how in the hell do you even begin to get there?

Is there a way to increase fuel volume to the engine? Larger pump?

This is getting to the limit of my performance gains knowledge. I'm no gear head and don't want to yank the engine and do all sorts of crap.

But with the quick gains my ZJ saw, and how relatively peppy the 4.0L WJ was, I'm just surprise how sluggish this wk2 is with the largest and highest HP engine I've owned.
well it is a 5200 pound suv, weight will always be the enemy here. yours is a 2011 right? that's got the older 545-RFE trans. not the best out there....however there are things you can do to it. shift kits and upgraded hardware. also look into long tubes if you can and a full tune for it

·
Registered
Jeep
825 Posts
Before the supercharger I had the gibson exhaust/Ported throttle body/K&N CAI/ and a couple other things...never had it tuned for those upgrades though...and it was louder and seemed "snappier" but not really any faster

0-60 times didn't improve really...running low 7's

right now I am tuned for 7lbs of boost ...stock the 3.6L puts down around 180HP to the wheels...when I had the supercharger installed I was putting down around 315HP...after a few dyno sessions I got it to 330HP on 7lbs

even the 3.6L setup has a fuel system robust enough to support about 500Hp at the motor and around 395-400HP to the wheels before needing a larger fuel pump.

The stage 2 3.6L RIPP kit will probably need a new fuel pump to support the 400+ AWD WHP its putting out.

GMGC has the stage 2 Rippkit installed on his 2014 3.6L and they had to dial it back to 365AWD WHP because of the fuel delivery system..

on your stock 5.7 there's no way you're running out of fuel...the 5.7 supercharged on 7 lbs of boost nets out over 420-440HP to the wheels...meaning its making well over 500+ hp at the motor on the stock fuel pump..

these supercharger kits use the stock fuel system but do come with larger injectors ....

the supercharger does look cool also :thumbsup:

Attachments

·
14 WK2
9,170 Posts
Before the supercharger I had the gibson exhaust/Ported throttle body/K&N CAI/ and a couple other things...never had it tuned for those upgrades though...and it was louder and seemed "snappier" but not really any faster

right now I am tuned for 7lbs of boost ...stock the 3.6L puts down around 180HP to the wheels...when I had the supercharger installed I was putting down around 315HP...after a few dyno sessions I got it to 330HP on 7lbs

even the 3.6L setup has a fuel system robust enough to support about 500Hp at the motor and around 395-400HP tot he wheels before needing a larger fuel pump.

The stage 2 3.6L RIPP kit will probably need a new fuel pump to support the 400+ AWD WHP its putting out.

GMGC has the stage 2 Rippkit installed on his 2014 3.6L and they had to dial it back to 365AWD WHP because of the fuel delivery system..

on your stock 5.7 there's no way you're running out of fuel...the 5.7 supercharged on 7 lbs of boost nets out over 420-440HP to the wheels...meaning its making well over 500+ hp at the motor on the stock fuel pump..
heck if he had to even go up to the srt fuel system

my 08 RWD 3.7 made around 175 at the ground stock, and with all my mods likely sitting around 240ish. I need to get on a dyno soon

·
Banned
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I guess my issue is gearing then.

I know she's heavy at 5200lbs.
But power to weight is better than my 04 WJ and I would say they are about the same 0-60.

Long tubes, and shift kits. This is a whole new animal I've never heard of.

I need to go test drive a 2012 or 2013 stock and get a base line.

Thanks for all your suggestions and pointers so far

·
Registered
406 Posts
Before I would drop the money on a supercharger I would do a cam swap. The cam isn't that bad to do on the 5.7 hemi, you'll need a tune to take advantage of it but I think it's better than any bolt one that don't really do much anyways.

·
Registered
877 Posts
I guess my issue is gearing then.

I know she's heavy at 5200lbs.
But power to weight is better than my 04 WJ and I would say they are about the same 0-60.

Long tubes, and shift kits. This is a whole new animal I've never heard of.

I need to go test drive a 2012 or 2013 stock and get a base line.

Thanks for all your suggestions and pointers so far
While you're probably not looking to upgrade the whole vehicle...

I strongly suggest you test drive a 2015 V8. I traded up my V8 powered 2012 Overland for a 2015 version. The difference is HUGE. 0-60 times are over a second faster in stock form. The 8-speed transmission is amazing when paired to this V8.

:thumbsup:

Reactions: billt

·
Banned
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
While you're probably not looking to upgrade the whole vehicle...

I strongly suggest you test drive a 2015 V8. I traded up my V8 powered 2012 Overland for a 2015 version. The difference is HUGE. 0-60 times are over a second faster in stock form. The 8-speed transmission is amazing when paired to this V8.

:thumbsup:
Yes I know the 8 speed is better at laying down power. But that doesn't solve the seeming lack of acceleration my 2011 has.

In no way in hell would I ever buy a vehicle 1-2 years old. Still way too much devaluation going to happen.

My 2011 was listed as $58,677 on the window sticker. Original owner probably paid $55k out the door, assuming they got a good deal.

I bought it 3 years old for $26,500 out the door.

So someone lost over 50% of the vehicles value in just 3 years.

I just looked up KBB and it's still values around $27k after a year of ownership.

According to the numbers claimed by the manufacturers of my bolt ons I should be around 40-50hp increase. Even modestly / realistically I've got to be 30more horsepower with these add ons ... That should definitely be noticeable.

I don't expect to have a race car or even remotely close to an SRT which is geared for speed. But damn this thing isn't what I expected coming from ZJ and WJ.

I'll post some acceleration videos to see if she is really about as expected or if she maybe has a problem.

·
Banned
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

even the 3.6L setup has a fuel system robust enough to support about 500Hp at the motor and around 395-400HP to the wheels before needing a larger fuel pump.

these supercharger kits use the stock fuel system but do come with larger injectors ....

the supercharger does look cool also :thumbsup:
That does look slick. How much $ was it installed? Was it a long install?

·
Registered
Jeep
825 Posts
$6300 for the supercharger
I forget but I think it was about $1300 to install- Took 2 days and I did have a couple other things done

I spent another $1200 to get the custom gauges and have them installed ...I had a Air/fuel gauge and a boost gauge installed

Spent about $1,500-$2,000 on Dyno tuning and troubleshooting ..I had some tuning issues that needed working out

I'm close to $10,000 invested in this supercharged system

Attachments

·
Banned
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Holly crap. Yeah I'm not looking to go that steep lol.

You got a dragster there.

Id like to spend no more than another $3k.

Just want some more pep. Not an all out ripper. In that case I'd just go get a 2012 or so SRT8

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've got corsa, volant intake, throttle body spacer, and Diablo 93 tune on my 11 5.7. Same thing always felt like those mods did nothing. In fact, went at it with a stock 5.7 wk2 and we were even all through out. Recently did the hemifever tune and even though I now have larger/heavier tires and RRO lift, It feels noticeably quicker than before. And the only mod where I truly felt a difference.

·
14 WK2
9,170 Posts
I've got corsa, volant intake, throttle body spacer, and Diablo 93 tune on my 11 5.7. Same thing always felt like those mods did nothing. In fact, went at it with a stock 5.7 wk2 and we were even all through out. Recently did the hemifever tune and even though I now have larger/heavier tires and RRO lift, It feels noticeably quicker than before. And the only mod where I truly felt a difference.
Because tune lol. The other mods help but it takes a tune to fully take advantage of it

·
formerly 14summithemi
3,852 Posts
floon34,

You almost assuredly hurt your 0-60 time with the higher flowing Corsa. I know I did, about .5 sec, when I put the Corsa cat-back on my '14 5.7. It was expected and Corsa confirmed it. The higher flowing Corsa robbed low end but it does give it back+ in mid up. Without doing a full exhaust to include headers and then a tune a cat-back is only gonna shift the "butt" dyno around a bit. But is does sound great :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Simply put, it's the transmission. It's a joke. Step up to the 2014 with an 8 speed. Night and day! The 2014 3.6 puts down about the same numbers as the 2011-13 5.7 lol that's how amazing the 8 speed tranny is.

1 - 20 of 136 Posts