Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

101 - 120 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
Black Summit
3,818 Posts
MY14/15....All V6 (gas & diesel) get the 3:45 rear, all 5.7 Hemi get 3:09's and all 6.4 Hemi get 3:70's.
hmm ok so the 2014/2015 4x4 GC 5.7 mileage is 14/20 and the 6.4 is 13/19, only 1 mpg difference between the two. 6.4 is a bigger displacement engine with 110 more hp and also has shorter gears. Just thinking out loud I wonder how much speed the 5.7 would gain if it moved from the current 3:09s to the 6.4s 3:70s? how much mileage could that really drop the 5.7 maybe a .5 mpg? and the other .5 was for displacement difference? doesn't seem like much of a price to pay to have shorter quicker gears. but I imagine there must be other significant inefficiencies going on with the 5.7 setup to account for this and why they went with 3:09s

·
Registered
overland
381 Posts
i went with the lower 3.45 since most of my driving is secondary roads a taller gear will help if most miles are highway once you get the heavy pig moving!

·
Registered
JGC Altittude
1,264 Posts
Wasn't aware u could get a 5.7 in 4x2 for MY14/15...can't and never could config that on Jeep.com...I tried when I was shopping Sept '13.

Really? Well I believe it now cause now you can't get that config on 4x2. Only v6 and diesels. When I was shopping 1yr and a half ago and pricing via jeep.com I was able to and that's really how I found mine at my local dealer. Bunch of a holes but got cheapest deal. It amazes me how these automakers constantly add or remove what you can and cannot configure on their trims.

·
formerly 14summithemi
3,852 Posts
Really? Well I believe it now cause now you can't get that config on 4x2. Only v6 and diesels. When I was shopping 1yr and a half ago and pricing via jeep.com I was able to and that's really how I found mine at my local dealer. Bunch of a holes but got cheapest deal. It amazes me how these automakers constantly add or remove what you can and cannot configure on their trims.
Yep, hear ya. The only true way to play around with configs with 99% accuracy is sitting down with a dealer salesperson and doing live "easy order quotes".

·
Registered
342 Posts
Comments like "go buy a Challenger" or the like are just ridiculous. When you have 360hp in any vehicle, it should feel like there's some power there. The 2015 R/T Challenger weighs more than my Jeep, according to Edmunds, so why is that a better option? Can't be the 15 additional hp. The fact is the Jeep feels sluggish, slow and under powered. I'm still new to Jeep, but find a complete lack of information in terms of real specifics. Hell, even the service manual is limited on info! What is the difference with HEMI's in different vehicles and the Jeep? Intake manifolds and cams?

A overland with hemi checks in t 5400 lbs, runs a 15.0 in the 1/4

A RT Challenger maybe 4100 lbs and runs a 13.5 sh, about what you would expect. 0.1 sec per 100 lbs shaved give or take.

What did you expect?

Edmunds like CR doesn't have a clue

·
Project Six Shooter V2 / ROUSH Prototype Tech
14 WK2
9,170 Posts
A overland with hemi checks in t 5400 lbs, runs a 15.0 in the 1/4

A RT Challenger maybe 4100 lbs and runs a 13.5 sh, about what you would expect. 0.1 sec per 100 lbs shaved give or take.

What did you expect?

Edmunds like CR doesn't have a clue
More like 4300 lol the hellcat is 4400 and the v6 is just a tick under 4100

·
Registered
342 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
I'm thinking it's all in the trans. I'm coming from the 3.6 but if I shift the trans manually, it will pull fine. If I leave it in auto it wants to start in 2nd off the line unless I get on it to force a kick down.

·
Registered
309 Posts
While you're probably not looking to upgrade the whole vehicle...

I strongly suggest you test drive a 2015 V8. I traded up my V8 powered 2012 Overland for a 2015 version. The difference is HUGE. 0-60 times are over a second faster in stock form. The 8-speed transmission is amazing when paired to this V8.

:thumbsup:
"HUGE" is a slight exaggeration. Car and Driver got a 6.5 0-60 on a '14 5.7 Limited, same as the OP gets now.
I wonder if there is any header/high-flow cat combo that would make a noticeable difference while still keeping it legal?

·
Registered
309 Posts
The axle ratio for the older Hemi's was 3.73 compared to the much taller 3.09 ratio used currently for better fuel economy. That taller ratio adversely affects acceleration, although the 8 speed's ratios help somewhat.

My Jeep weighs almost 5200 lbs. Edmonds must have had The entire staff inside that Challenger on the scales!
yes, the mandatory 5.7/3.09 available today is disappointing. EPA figures, sure, but I should think the 8sp could compensate for a lower (numerically higher) final drive ratio.

·
formerly 14summithemi
3,852 Posts
yes, the mandatory 5.7/3.09 available today is disappointing. EPA figures, sure, but I should think the 8sp could compensate for a lower (numerically higher) final drive ratio.
Absolutely it could since it already does it in the SRT, as u say, EPA mpg rating won that battle. :(

·
Registered
309 Posts
Absolutely it could since it already does it in the SRT, as u say, EPA mpg rating won that battle. :(
so next question: could the SRT's 3.70 diffs be swapped into a Limited 5.7? (front and rear I assume).
I'd like to find an SRT ('14 or newer) in a wrecking yard and cherry pick it to death.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
I strongly suggest you test drive a 2015 V8. I traded up my V8 powered 2012 Overland for a 2015 version. The difference is HUGE. 0-60 times are over a second faster in stock form. The 8-speed transmission is amazing when paired to this V8.
Here I have to agree. The other day I went for a ride with my neighbor in his Dodge Ram 5.7 HEMI pickup. It has the 6-Speed transmission, not the 8-Speed. The difference in acceleration was HUGE! This in spite of the fact the HEMI in the Ram pickup has a higher horsepower rating. My 2015 HEMI with 360H.P. and the 8-Speed was very noticeably quicker to 60 MPH.

·
Registered
95' & 12' G.C.
19 Posts
Here I have to agree. The other day I went for a ride with my neighbor in his Dodge Ram 5.7 HEMI pickup. It has the 6-Speed transmission, not the 8-Speed. The difference in acceleration was HUGE! This in spite of the fact the HEMI in the Ram pickups has a higher horsepower rating. My 2015 HEMI with 360H.P. and the 8-Speed was very noticeably quicker to 60 MPH.

Not if you have a RIPP Supercharger in it.......?. JK, I know we're talking about stock here. But just got mine back and there is a ~"HUGE"~ difference.

·
Project Six Shooter V2 / ROUSH Prototype Tech
14 WK2
9,170 Posts
Here I have to agree. The other day I went for a ride with my neighbor in his Dodge Ram 5.7 HEMI pickup. It has the 6-Speed transmission, not the 8-Speed. The difference in acceleration was HUGE! This in spite of the fact the HEMI in the Ram pickup has a higher horsepower rating. My 2015 HEMI with 360H.P. and the 8-Speed was very noticeably quicker to 60 MPH.
Your jeep also don't weight 6k plus lol

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee Limit
4 Posts
First post for me on this site but it seems like the guy who's ticked his Hemi doesn't throw him in his seat is overlooking the fact that the gear ratio is different when you get the Hemi and the towing package. The towing package put the taller gears in to help keep gears while towing.

You complained about the X5M and Porsche but both of those are more performance SUVs, aka the SRT Grand Cherokee. You don't see the X5M towing 7,400 lbs. now do ya.

I just need to get the Corsa cat-back exhaust to bring a better Hemi growl out and I'm golden.

BTW I have a 2013 loaded Limited 4x4.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
The Ram 1500 does not weigh more 6k. 5,500lbs maybe. The difference in HP should make up for the weight difference. 8 speed transmission is significantly better in the GC for WOT acceleration.

·
Registered
95' & 12' G.C.
19 Posts
First post for me on this site but it seems like the guy who's ticked his Hemi doesn't throw him in his seat is overlooking the fact that the gear ratio is different when you get the Hemi and the towing package. The towing package put the taller gears in to help keep gears while towing.

You complained about the X5M and Porsche but both of those are more performance SUVs, aka the SRT Grand Cherokee. You don't see the X5M towing 7,400 lbs. now do ya.

I just need to get the Corsa cat-back exhaust to bring a better Hemi growl out and I'm golden.

BTW I have a 2013 loaded Limited 4x4.

I would go Borla....I have it and in my opinion it's got the perfect sound. Best of both worlds. Not over powering yet it does have a growl when your moving.

101 - 120 of 136 Posts