Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

121 - 136 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee Limit
4 Posts
I would go Borla....I have it and in my opinion it's got the perfect sound. Best of both worlds. Not over powering yet it does have a growl when your moving.

I like the Borla but so many people are reporting better drone cancelling with the Corsa over the Borla.

Have to save some coin up regardless and then make a decision.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey guys just curious if anyone here has HONESTLY noticed any real power gains with minor mods to their 5.7L wk2's? And if so what are they?!
Please don't turn this into a mod fanboy war.

Some history:

I was a little disappointed by the 5.7L (360Hp) in my 2011 GC Overland when I picked her up a year ago. Coming from a 2004 WJ with the 4.0L i6 (200hp after k&n filter) I expected more out of an additional 160hp, even with a fatter heavier ass on the wk2.

I'm not saying she's a pig, but it seemed like the 360hp was more of a neccesity than a bonus. (Can only imagine how sloth like the 3.6L is)

I also had a '93 ZJ with the 318 / 5.2L back in high school (2001 era). She was sluggish stock too, but after a k&n and dual exhaust she got down and dirty.

So with this wk2 I truly expected more.
Anyway the first mod was the Corsa cat back. I noticed minimal if any true power gains with this. Obviously the note sounds 100% healthier and she doesn't seem to be gasping for air as bad at WOT, but the sensation of being thrown back in the seat just isn't there.

Next I added a K&N cold air intake... NOTHING. Annoyed I swapped to the afe stage 2, and again, notta.

Finally, I bought a DiabloSport Trinity T1000 ... After successfully installing the 93 octane performance tune and running 93 gas... STILL no real power gains.
On paper I should be pushing around 410HP...

My 0-60 times are still identical, and gas mileage is unchanged.

I've sunk almost $1,900 into "cheap" mods hoping to wake this thing up even just a little, and I'm just not seeing or feeling it..

Has anyone else tried these upgrades and can they TRULY, HONESTLY (swear on their mothers grave) say that they've noticed real power gains?

So many people drop a pretty penny on these mods and talk themselves into HP gains that just aren't there. I know my buddy has a 2012 Charger SRT8, ran a Borla exhaust and Predator tune and it seems exactly the same to me but he swears by it...

Any suggestion?
Ok I got a 5.7 on a 2013 grand Cherokee that eats s___ alive. You first have to chop off the exhaust at the o2 sensors then run straight pipes. As straight as you can and wide 3 3/4 all the way minimum. Now fuel pump relay bypass. I think 85mm or 95 mm throttle body plus 1 1/2 spacer. Cold air intake. After this take the Diablo and go into modify factory tune. Turn your spark up, turn your gas up, run 5% rich to accommodate all the new air your moving. Now the lack of relay will seriously increase your gas. It ain't a 5.7 unless your on 11mpg. Turn all your safety garbage off. Bigger tires turn torque to horse power. Max out your wheel wells. I'm running 30" on a stock suspension. Barley clears. Get cross drilled brakes you will need them. After I did all this I'm running 0-60 in 3.9 seconds. You may have to mess with your shift points a bit to really get some ass out her. The tires will do a lot though. If you want more, avoid supercharging. That tuner will work wonders in modify stock tune. Go straight for a stroker kit and performance valves and procharger. Obviously with this you will need headers and bigger cats also. I hope I was helpful again everything you want is in modify factory tune. I promise the fist time you dust a hellcat jeep your going to love it. They built a monster then starved it and choked it off for better mileage. It's not even a real hemi with a flat piston.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Ok I got a 5.7 on a 2013 grand Cherokee that eats s___ alive. You first have to chop off the exhaust at the o2 sensors then run straight pipes. As straight as you can and wide 3 3/4 all the way minimum. Now fuel pump relay bypass. I think 85mm or 95 mm throttle body plus 1 1/2 spacer. Cold air intake. After this take the Diablo and go into modify factory tune. Turn your spark up, turn your gas up, run 5% rich to accommodate all the new air your moving. Now the lack of relay will seriously increase your gas. It ain't a 5.7 unless your on 11mpg. Turn all your safety garbage off. Bigger tires turn torque to horse power. Max out your wheel wells. I'm running 30" on a stock suspension. Barley clears. Get cross drilled brakes you will need them. After I did all this I'm running 0-60 in 3.9 seconds. You may have to mess with your shift points a bit to really get some ass out her. The tires will do a lot though. If you want more, avoid supercharging. That tuner will work wonders in modify stock tune. Go straight for a stroker kit and performance valves and procharger. Obviously with this you will need headers and bigger cats also. I hope I was helpful again everything you want is in modify factory tune. I promise the fist time you dust a hellcat jeep your going to love it. They built a monster then starved it and choked it off for better mileage. It's not even a real hemi with a flat piston.
This post could win the holidays (I totally assume you are completely joking)

·
Registered
3 Posts
You got the 100 thousand dollar fancy pants jeep I wouldn't recommend doing anything to that. Thats set up totally different than a standard 5.7 your jeep already has performance cams and everything it needs. However go to a smaller super charger pulley wheel if not make one. Put a 8.0 stroker kit with flat piston in it. I'd still get rid of the exhaust though it's all garbage. 2 big ass straight pipes.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Yea nobody is running 0-60 in 3.9 sec with a 5.7 and nobody is sticking it to a hellcat with a 5.7 JGC...that's some good koolaid you got there for sure.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
3,798 Posts
In the reliability of the motor.......
More HP, less reliability......

The simple bolt on's do very little because the HEMI is pretty well optimized to begin with, the HP will require more sophistication than that, and to get it, you're going to tax the motor enough you'll be hurting the reliability.....

The 6.4L and 6.2L are different engine blocks, based on the original design, but still changes made to the block as well as everything else to survive making the additional power....

·
Registered
76 Posts
I just added a HEMI 5.7L badge to the lift gate of my 2012 JGC Laredo X 4X4. It's much faster now and the cars I pass know why.
Of course this was in addition to my new Corsa Cat Back Sport exhaust system, Corsa CAI, Stage 3 JDM Performance Chip Tuner and Pedal Commander. Don't know if it's really any faster but it is certainly more fun to drive. It does have a six speed trans. Original window sticker was $41k as it came really loaded.

Attachments

·
Registered
GC TH
447 Posts
Ok I got a 5.7 on a 2013 grand Cherokee that eats s___ alive. Not with the NAG1 in it, it doesn’t.
You first have to chop off the exhaust at the o2 sensors then run straight pipes. As straight as you can and wide 3 3/4 all the way minimum. Straight pipes kill the scavenging, which hurts overall power, plus you’re suggesting running bigger pipes than the 700hp Trailhawk uses.
Now fuel pump relay bypass. WTF?
I think 85mm or 95 mm throttle body plus 1 1/2 spacer. You lost all credibility at throttle body spacer.
Cold air intake. After this take the Diablo and go into modify factory tune. Turn your spark up, turn your gas up, run 5% rich to accommodate all the new air your moving. Randomly just run up the dial on everything, huh? Logic seems sound.
Now the lack of relay will seriously increase your gas. It ain't a 5.7 unless your on 11mpg. Turn all your safety garbage off. Bigger tires turn torque to horse power. Who the what?

Max out your wheel wells. I'm running 30" on a stock suspension. Barley clears. Interesting since it comes with 30.5” tires and you can run 32.1 w/o rubbing.
Get cross drilled brakes you will need them. After I did all this I'm running 0-60 in 3.9 seconds. I got nothin.
You may have to mess with your shift points a bit to really get some ass out her. The tires will do a lot though. You can’t be older than 12. Maybe 13.
If you want more, avoid supercharging. That tuner will work wonders in modify stock tune. Go straight for a stroker kit and performance valves and procharger. So is it avoid supercharging or buy a Procharger?
Obviously with this you will need headers and bigger cats also. I hope I was helpful again everything you want is in modify factory tune. I promise the fist time you dust a hellcat jeep your going to love it. 🥴
They built a monster then starved it and choked it off for better mileage. It's not even a real hemi with a flat piston. Funny since the piston doesn’t make it a Hemi.
Meth is a hell of a drug.

.....and see comments in bold.

Reactions: ChevoFuerte

·
Registered
Sterling Edition
8 Posts
i have the 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, Sterling 25th Anniversary Edition with 27k miles on it. I have 1 7/8inch American Racing Headers but they are not installed yet because I'm saving up for a PROCHARGER, which they make specifically for the 2017 and up Wk2s. It's expensive as hell, around 7000 dollars. I'm expecting to drop 10 thousand dollars overall after the purchase, install, and mustang dyno tune. But it should be approaching 500 rwhp at that point. I would encourage anybody to do the same as a poweradder

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys just curious if anyone here has HONESTLY noticed any real power gains with minor mods to their 5.7L wk2's? And if so what are they?!

Some history:

I was a little disappointed by the 5.7L (360Hp) in my 2011 GC Overland when I picked her up a year ago. Coming from a 2004 WJ with the 4.0L i6 (200hp after k&n filter) I expected more out of an additional 160hp, even with a fatter heavier ass on the wk2.

I'm not saying she's a pig, but it seemed like the 360hp was more of a neccesity than a bonus. (Can only imagine how sloth like the 3.6L is)

I also had a '93 ZJ with the 318 / 5.2L back in high school (2001 era). She was sluggish stock too, but after a k&n and dual exhaust she got down and dirty.

Anyway the first mod was the Corsa cat back. I noticed minimal if any true power gains with this. Obviously the note sounds 100% healthier and she doesn't seem to be gasping for air as bad at WOT, but the sensation of being thrown back in the seat just isn't there.

Next I added a K&N cold air intake... NOTHING. Annoyed I swapped to the afe stage 2, and again, notta.

Finally, I bought a DiabloSport Trinity T1000 ... After successfully installing the 93 octane performance tune and running 93 gas... STILL no real power gains.

I've sunk almost $1,900 into "cheap" mods hoping to wake this thing up even just a little, and I'm just not seeing or feeling it..

Has anyone else tried these upgrades and can they TRULY, HONESTLY (swear on their mothers grave) say that they've noticed real power gains?

So many people drop a pretty penny on these mods and talk themselves into HP gains that just aren't there. I know my buddy has a 2012 Charger SRT8, ran a Borla exhaust and Predator tune and it seems exactly the same to me but he swears by it...

Any suggestion?
i have a wk2 2011 jeep as well 5.7 hemi with carven dual exhaust and i3 diablo tuner and i really feel a big difference . My launchings faster , i will be adding a CAI and throttle body spacer pretty soon . Ive beat 392s out of the line ! make sure you do some tuning right brother !

·
Registered
91 Posts
Is there an easy way to remove the cats? How's it sound? Would it be any faster? We no longer have emissions tests so would there be a performance reason to install an O2 Simulator? Does the plumbing of the 4 cyl eco mode rule out cat-stration?

·
Registered
2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk 5.7L Hemi
153 Posts
i have a wk2 2011 jeep as well 5.7 hemi with carven dual exhaust and i3 diablo tuner and i really feel a big difference . My launchings faster , i will be adding a CAI and throttle body spacer pretty soon . Ive beat 392s out of the line ! make sure you do some tuning right brother !
Do you have a custom tune, or running a default tune off your diablo?

·
Registered
17 Posts

Some history:

Any suggestion?
I have to ask this and please don't take offense as I have also asked the same question to someone else who complained about the 5.7 Hemi. Why didn't you get an SRT if you were after performance. Even with allot of mods you are still going to have a hard time trying to get it to compare to what an SRT can do. And with all of the money and trouble that goes into doing mods it just seems to make more sense to spend the extra cash out of the box and get an SRT. Then power and performance are not a factor unless your looking for trackhawk type performance. Before I bought my 2020 Trailhawk 5.7 liter Hemi I test drove the SRT and it was a night and day difference from the 5.7 liter Hemi.

121 - 136 of 136 Posts