Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Got a 2014 GC Limited a month ago and recently started having Nav/ compass calibration issues on the 8.4AN taking it to the dealer tommorow.

Basically the Nav is consistently off by 100 miles or so and the compass points 180 degrees in the wrong direction, needless to say this is pissing me off . Does anyone else have these problems or have advice :confused:? This just started happening this week. Everything else seems good so far ...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
<<UPDATE>> Like posted in the other thread Chrysler/Dealer is replacing the entire Head Unit !!!
8PM EST 04/24/2013

Question for Silver : are you in DC metro area by any chance ?

Symptoms :

"Phone Requires Service Message pops up"
"GPS Unit showing wrong location on NAV"
"Compass pointing in the wrong direction"

Am beginning to think could have saved 3K by not getting the friggin UConnect with Nav. Not that the Nav was very useful or responsive even when working ..

http://www.sundru.net

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
pissed off now .. Uconnect console which is fu#$%^ dead and getting tired of being told its a new vehicle so parts is difficult wtf !!!??

heres a picture of the fcking screen , still waiting on the replacement head unit

·
Registered
Subaru Legacy STIEVO
2,198 Posts
I just had a problem with NAVI last night. At some point, driving on the interstate from the airport towards down town, the unit was off by as much as 200 ft (side streets) then after it corrected itself the map froze. The map could no longer be zoomed in/out and it would not move - soon I had gone out of the map area plotted on the screen. As I actually had NAVI guidance going, the VOICE continued to provide directions but the display in the dashboard also shut down.

I stopped the vehicle, restarted it but did not do the trick. At home I did the same thing, waiting 1-2 min before restarting, and the NAVI seemingly came back to life.

I am uncertain if there is a correlation between this and the fact that I activated UCONNECT the night before. There were no alerts on the dashboard.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I saw a similar behavior during my test drive and the dealer told me that it takes some time for the system to calibrate (I found that very strange). If that is the case, you should not be having this issue after a month of ownership. Could be more to this issue...

My vehicle is working properly though...

·
Registered
Subaru Legacy STIEVO
2,198 Posts
I drove the car this morning to a place to get it "tinted". The NAVI unit worked "phine" - not "fine" because it seemingly took longer to "activate". But it did its job as intended, as previously experienced, without any glitches - displays, alerts, traffic, routing and all.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
326 Posts
Was using the nav to navigate to a house this morning. During the drive it said recalculating and showed me being on side streets off the highway. Turned the car off when i got to my destination, still didn't function properly, then 5 minutes later it started working again. No idea what happened, but this system does have some software bugs.

·
Premium Member
3,453 Posts
I hope everyone with problems is letting Chrysler know about them. That's the only way they will find out the software for the 8.4AN needs updated. Like with any software, be it auto, computer, cellphone, or what have you, it's always a work in progress.

·
Registered
Overland
56 Posts
I was using navigation a few days ago, and the screen locked up. None of the controls(radio, climate, etc) would do anything. After I got home and shut if off, it was fine the next time I started it up.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I was using navigation a few days ago, and the screen locked up. None of the controls(radio, climate, etc) would do anything. After I got home and shut if off, it was fine the next time I started it up.
I have seen this problem as well and I am trying to see what would trigger it. It seemed to happen after I was on the phone. Maybe the call didn't totally clear, so I believe it to be a bug anyway. I have also seen the problem with settings where they don't always stick. This could either be cockpit error or a bug.

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
...I am uncertain if there is a correlation between this and the fact that I activated UCONNECT the night before. There were no alerts on the dashboard.
I was wondering this exact thing. I have had my vehicle for two weeks and 600 miles now and have not had any UConnect issues (I was out of the country on business so actually have only been driving about a week). Just last night I registered my UConnect....I will report if there is anything different with he performance of the unit. Like I said, up till now everything is perfect...I will start the vehicle shortly to let it update.

cam

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
I was wondering this exact thing. I have had my vehicle for two weeks and 600 miles now and have not had any UConnect issues (I was out of the country on business so actually have only been driving about a week). Just last night I registered my UConnect....I will report if there is anything different with he performance of the unit. Like I said, up till now everything is perfect...I will start the vehicle shortly to let it update.

cam
I thought the same thing initially. I picked up my truck on Tuesday and the screen went blank. No "Touch Screen" message at the bottom and nothing worked. Shut down the GC and started it again several times, to no avail. Drove it back to the dealer and - of course - it then worked. This was right after I registered with Uconnect.

In the following days, the unit would reboot by itself while I was driving. (I don't know how to do it other than shut the GC down.) After stopping on the way home, the unit showed our progress in the middle of the screen, although the borders showed where we had stopped. Voice directions also stopped. In addition, I couldn't change the radio station, change the volume, or mute the radio. I could use my phone but bluetooth wasn't working. Nothing worked until I stopped and shut the vehicle down. One time, the unit rebooted when I connected my iPhone to charge it.

Controls also were a problem. Tuesday night was cold and my wife and I both turned on the heated seats and I turned on the heated steering wheel. Before leaving the truck, we turned all three of the controls off. But the next morning, the driver's seat and wheel heating went on by themselves. I turned them off. When I started the truck the next time, both were back on. I turned them off again, and when I next started the truck, they came on again. Finally - after about four or five repetitions - the seat and wheel stayed off. The passenger seat didn't have this problem.

Quadralift had problems. While driving below 50 mph one time, it just started raising on its own. (I t was not in "Aero" beforehand.) Most of the time, QL lowered itself about 15 minutes after the truck was turned off, but sometimes it doesn't. It surprised me when I was letting air out of the tires.

Advanced tech items also stopped working one time - no blind stop monitoring and although regular cruise control worked, adaptive cruise control did not. As with the other items, the advanced tech features starting working again after restarting.

As a truck, I love the GC. As an electronics platform, not so much. I'm writing up all the problems and sending them to Jeep; but QA on the electronics sucks. I have the V-6 and power appears sufficient. (The GC replaces an X3 with less horsepower but a lot less weight.) The ride also was smoother than I expected, even though the dealer filled the tires to about 45 psi. If only the electronics worked all the time ....

·
Registered
311 Posts
Controls also were a problem. Tuesday night was cold and my wife and I both turned on the heated seats and I turned on the heated steering wheel. Before leaving the truck, we turned all three of the controls off. But the next morning, the driver's seat and wheel heating went on by themselves. I turned them off. When I started the truck the next time, both were back on. I turned them off again, and when I next started the truck, they came on again. Finally - after about four or five repetitions - the seat and wheel stayed off. The passenger seat didn't have this problem.
take a look at the user manual, there is an option to turn on driver's heated/vented seats and heated wheel depending on the temperature when the car starts, your finally after about 5 repetitions was probably because the temperature was above the lower limit. I think it's 40F and 80F

·
Registered
164 Posts
I was going to start a new thread but before i do that i'll see if any of you have seen this issue: My Nav display in "Auto" won't change between Day and night. It always stays in Day Mode...The time is synced with the Nav also. I forgot about this since i just switched into night mode the night i got it and haven't used the nav much until last night. Anyone else have this issue??

·
Registered
Subaru Legacy STIEVO
2,198 Posts
i think some of the things reported here describe the actual correct functionality of the system:

1) the car raising itself at speeds under 50 mph. Aero mode is activated at 54-55 mph automatically.
2) steering wheel and driver seat heating up automatically. There is a box to mark/unmark that.

I did discover other things though: for instance I had marked the collision avoidance with braking distance to FAR but when I went back into the system it was on NEAR. I had set up the blind spot monitoring for chimes and lights but when I went back to check ( see previous instance) the checkmark was off.

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
take a look at the user manual, there is an option to turn on driver's heated/vented seats and heated wheel depending on the temperature when the car starts, your finally after about 5 repetitions was probably because the temperature was above the lower limit. I think it's 40F and 80F
Thank you. You are correct, and that explains why the driver's seat heat came on but not the passenger's.

After the problems I encountered during the first two days, I have had no problems with the Uconnect unit. Maybe my wife was right when she said that the electronics need break-in, too.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts