Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to find out what others think of the new 8 speed. I have about 2200 miles on my 5.7 8 speed and I think while the transmission is smooth for the most part it can be improved. The through gear operation going up through the gears is good 1st to 2nd could be a little better but not bad. The area where it needs improvement is when slowing down at lower speed. I think a couple of the shifts going down are too soon and I think when driving at low speed like through a parking lot it feels and sounds like a manual transmission sometimes. So I though I would see how others felt about it? I would expect at some point they will have a flash to improve this.

·
Registered
BMW
115 Posts
We have 1300 miles on ours and no problems with it so far although I'm still not comfortable with the electronic shifter. I don't notice anything at low speeds, is it like a lag between shifts?

·
Registered
2015 MB C300 Sport
1,191 Posts
I find the 8 sp in my V6 sometimes slow down-shifting into the lower gears while coming to a stop...and up-shifting accerating from a stop.

This all while in "Eco" mode.

·
Premium Member
2017 Summit
8,888 Posts
Overall I am happy with the transmission. At very low speeds "ECO" mode interferes with it. It seems to force a shift into 4th too soon.

I still think the shifter is a mistake. This is the only car I have ever driven where I have to always double check to see if I am in park. I don't understand why Chrysler couldn't keep a conventional interface even if the lever was connected to switches.

I know many folks have said they are used to it. My question is what advantage, to the driver, did this change accomplish?

·
Registered
2015 MB C300 Sport
1,191 Posts
I still think the shifter is a mistake. This is the only car I have ever driven where I have to always double check to see if I am in park. I don't understand why Chrysler couldn't keep a conventional interface even if the lever was connected to switches.

I know many folks have said they are used to it. My question is what advantage, to the driver, did this change accomplish?
Welcome to the 21st century my friend!

:D

No real advantages to the owner, but a cost advantage to the manufacturer (less parts to worry about). Expect to see more "fly by wire" systems in automobiles in the future...for instance the V6 models have electric assist for power steering as well (but retains it's redundant mechanical linkage as backup).

When it comes to the shifter, I've found it's easier to know what gear you've shifted into by adjusting my dash readout to display only the current gear selection...not the whole "PRND", and I've learned to just push the button on the gear selector, and push/pull & hold until I see the gear I want displayed on the dash readout.

·
Premium Member
2017 Summit
8,888 Posts
Welcome to the 21st century my friend!

:D

No real advantages to the owner, but a cost advantage to the manufacturer (less parts to worry about). Expect to see more "fly by wire" systems in automobiles in the future...for instance the V6 models have electric assist for power steering as well (but retains it's redundant mechanical linkage as backup).

When it comes to the shifter, I've found it's easier to know what gear you've shifted into by adjusting my dash readout to display only the current gear selection...not the whole "PRND", and I've learned to just push the button on the gear selector, and push/pull & hold until I see the gear I want displayed on the dash readout.

Every time I turn around somebody is trying to drag me into the 21st century. :slapfight:

One of the first things I did was switch the display, and you are correct in that it does help. I just think it's a step backwards that after 40+ years of driving, I now have to look at the dash to shift an automatic transmission.

I don't mind the technology, but how hard would it have been to use that same lever and have 5 distinct detents?

·
Premium Member
357 Posts
I actually like the new shifter and very rarely will I miss a shift. The detents feel just like a traditional PRND pattern...

·
Registered
2015 MB C300 Sport
1,191 Posts
One of the first things I did was switch the display, and you are correct in that it does help. I just think it's a step backwards that after 40+ years of driving, I now have to look at the dash to shift an automatic transmission.
Looking at the center display to see what gear you're in reminds me of the old automatics that had the gear selector on the steering column...

·
Premium Member
3,465 Posts
Growing up on standard shifters, it's an adjustment, but I'm getting used to it. My biggest problem is shifting too far because of the short throw.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Every time I turn around somebody is trying to drag me into the 21st century. :slapfight:

I don't mind the technology, but how hard would it have been to use that same lever and have 5 distinct detents?
I generally love technology in general, but in this case I absolutely agree with you. I just want to change gears and be on my way. I'd say this is the only thing that annoys me about my GC (besides my other documented issues of course). I'm getting better at it, and perhaps if I had my Jeep more than a day or two in between a week of dealer visits I'd be more used to it by now, but I still have to really look and see what gear I'm in because sometimes it's neutral, sometimes it's drive, sometimes it's reverse. And the amount of effort taken to put in any of these gears doesn't seem to be the same each time.

As for the transmission itself, I did notice once I got it back from the dealer all the shifts were buttery smooth and if this was "regular operation" of this transmission, I'm really going to like it on our replacement GC as long as it works this well. Something they did at the dealer changed it, because it wasn't that smooth when we first got the Jeep. Downshifts were sometimes abrupt, and it seemed like the early gears sometimes didn't shift soon enough. But after we got it back, it was buttah.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I actually like the new shifter and very rarely will I miss a shift. The detents feel just like a traditional PRND pattern...
My only gripe about the paddle shifters is that it is attached to the Wheel. Which can be hard to shift if you are making a turn as now the shifter is near the top of the stearing wheel or even on the complete otherside. Makes it tricky when trying to use your right hand to shift the whole time and have to bend and twist your arm to stay where the shifter is.

It would of been much nicer if the paddle shifter was in the same spot, but not attached to the wheel so that when you turned, the shifter would remain in the same spot.

I don't know, maybe thats just me lol

·
Registered
2015 MB C300 Sport
1,191 Posts
No such thing as "road feel" in a 4x4 SUV...

;)

Joking aside, I notice no difference in steering feel between the electro-hydraulic system in my GC opposed to say my old 2011 Xterra PRO-4x.

Less parasitic drag using an electric motor instead of a conventional belt driven pump saves on gas.

In the future I can see all cars & SUVs with a complete "drive by wire" system for steering...dumping all the mechanical linkages completly. Heck...they've already done it for throttle control on some cars.

Less parts, less cost & maintenance, less weight...wave of the future for the automobile.

·
Premium Member
4,989 Posts
On the shifter thing... it could be worse, you could have a stick on the side of your steering column and occationally after driving another vehicle you will shift into Neutral instead of getting windshield wipers.

Also in comparison to the Dial shifter (RAM), I will take this any day because it is one thing to need to look at the dash for gear position, another think entirely to fumble around looking for the damn shifter al together.

·
Registered
783 Posts
So far I haven't had too many problems with the transmission. I do feel in sport mode it doesn't down shift as smooth as it should, but I can use the paddles to make it hold the gears it needs to be in and down shift better than it's programed to do. I don't get the hate for the shifter though. I love it and it has become natural for me to hit any gear I need on the first try. My wife still has trouble shifting to park and often will end up in reverse or vice-versa. She thinks it's over complicated, but she's not into technology like I am.

·
Registered
21 Posts
My only issue relates to downshifting while coasting. As soon as I take my foot of the gas the system downshifts and continues to do so forcing me to apply more gas to maintain smooth forward motion. It is similar to a manual transmission in this respect except I get to decide when to downshift in a manual. My VW CC with the DSG transmission also downshifted but it was far more "natural" feeling

·
Registered
12 Posts

I felt the same until I read the manual and found out there are stops in the electronic linkage. Park is easy just push the side button on the stick and shove it all the way up to the stops, instant Park no matter what mode the stick is in.

Reverse one slight click down, to get into drive from reverse don't touch the side button and just push down till the stick stops, you are in D.

From Park to D, push the side button and slide the stick all the way down till it stops. You are in D.

All of the above without looking at the display. I can see how you might miss Reverse from Drive as it is two clicks up and they are small clicks.

I actually like the small travel of the stick. As for the transmission shifting, eco mode makes a mess out of it, too early upshifts, late downshifts. Take it out of Eco and all the problems disappear smooth as silk.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.