Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone stuck one of those in their jeep yet? I found one on a site; Seicane.. I thought I wanted a Pioneer SPH Da120, but it proved to be too cumbersome for the wife to use....You gotta hook up the phone for nav etc. I am seriously considering selling it and getting a China radio.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've been looking at these don't, just haven't bit the bullet yet. For what they're costing these days though, be nice just to try. Some of these double dins been calling my eye.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Anyone stuck one of those in their jeep yet? I found one on a site; Seicane.. I thought I wanted a Pioneer SPH Da120, but it proved to be too cumbersome for the wife to use....You gotta hook up the phone for nav etc. I am seriously considering selling it and getting a China radio.
Unfortunately, these Android head units aren't any better. I bought a Joying unit for my son's '02 Explorer, and it isn't very user-friendly. Bluetooth streaming works great, but you don't get any media information. Just the big Bluetooth icon and skip-forward/skip-back buttons. And navigation doesn't work like a modern system. If you enter in a destination, route to it, then switch to Bluetooth streaming for instance, the nav system will not switch back to the map when a turn is coming up. It will just beep at you. You have to manually go back into the navigation app to see what is going on. The units also require Internet access for several functions, so you will need to buy a 3G/4G dongle and data plan or tether off your phone. And iPod functionality was deprecated a couple of years ago, so no luck if you have an iPhone or an iPod. There are other issues around what is a valid "source". If you are listening to a radio station or Bluetooth streaming from your phone and start Pandora or Spotify, for instance, the other "source" does not stop playing. Both audio streams play on top of each other. You would have to stop the radio stream before switching. Sound quality is good, and the price is certainly right, though. :)

At the end of the day, it's just an Android tablet with a radio tuner. That isn't a bad thing, just a consideration. If you have any older vehicle with no infotainment of any kind (not even a aux in), it's a pretty decent and affordable upgrade to get Bluetooth streaming, a bigger, pretty screen, and some kind of simple navigation. The usability still has a way to go though.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’ve had mine for about 2 years now. It works great and hasn’t given me any issues.
Did you connect the steering wheel controls (SWC)? If so, is it using an interface module or by direct connect to wires? I cannot find any diagram showing which wire(s) are for SWC on 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Any help welcome.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts