Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all you Jeep gurus out there. I have a 94 JGC with over 430K mi. She's always been an overheater and now that temps are above 105, she gets hot quick in traffic. I want to add an electric fan to the radiator. Youtube is all over the place regarding the topic and there are all kinds of different fans. Is there anyone who has done this or maybe someone has put in the research that can give me some good advice?
Thank you!

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
I've had the same issue with my 2K Jeep XJ and my old '94 Jeep XJ especially idling at fast food drive thrus etc. in hot weather. Replaced the radiator, water pump, thermostat etc. and same 'ol same 'ol.
Keeping the efan on was the solution in my case.
I've also had heat soak misfiring issues when parking for 10 to 15 minutes while going into a convenience store.

I solved all of those issues once and for all by installing a time delay relay with an on switch to keep the efan running for 5 minutes after engine shutdown or any time i see the temp rising.
Problems solved.
Could even install a simpler manual efan relay with a turn on/off switch to keep the efan running until its turned off by the switch.

What i would suggest is to first flush the cooling system, clean any bugs and grit out of the radiator, change the radiator cap, thermostat. And don't discount a bad clutch fan or water pump.
There could also be a TSB for your year Jeep, check it out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. After running the Jeep all day today I began to experience the idling issue in reference to the heat soak. What type of fan did you install? Push/pull, size, brand? Thanks again!

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
I did not replace the OEM fan.
The OEM fan worked fine in my case with my timing relay or even a manual efan turn on/off relay/switch.
The problem is that the PCM turns on the efan way way too late for it to do any good once the engine temp skyrockets.
In other words, the efan must turn on when you see the temp rising towards the midpoint on the temp gauge.
I hope you have an instrument cluster with a temp gauge.

Maybe a better higher CFM fan would help in your case but it wasn't necessary in my case.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Old post I know. I swapped my fan clutch out with a fan shroud assembly out of a 2007 grand cheroke wj. Uses a 50 amp circuit.

Fan is available with LIFETIME warranty at autozone for around $100. Need about 25 feet of a solid 8ngauge wire plus i used a maxi fuse, relay, and need a maxi fuse holder.

You'll have to cut the shroud to mate to the hood it's too tall stock.

But once that's done I'd grab a second one from a. Junk yard (or both?) And when it comes time for a warranty swap out the motor and leave your cut shroud in the jeep.

Can use a thermostat turn on and this fan has hi/lo capability too. I wired on hi withal ignition on. 9 months no issues

1 - 5 of 5 Posts