Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I remember this happening on my BMW 2001 325i, Ill be driving the car fine throughout the day, then ill park it go inside and when i come out all of a sudden its not starting, The odometers wil fluctuate a couple times accompanied by an background sound. Now, knock on wood but each time ive gotten it to run after that issue ive done pretty much the same thing.. I pop the hood, wiggle the battery cables around, hop back in the car and voila! Although today there was a slight difference in that I could turn the car on and it would run for a couple seconds (unless I kept foot on gas) and then die. Finally i maneuvered the truck to where I ad a straight shot, turned the care on and immediately punched it, keeping foot on the gas for a good 2 laps around the parking lot until it was fine again. Let me add that one of the battrery harnesses is cracked down the middle (imagine a circle,with the crack) and O'reilly told me my battery wss running on the low side.

Any ideas why my WJ would start 99.4 of the time, but then randomly not on occasion? I did also just install a new intake but it was done to perfection as far as I know, plus ive also been driving with the hood popped up and spacers in the back and that has given me tremendous temperature readings, Anyways, ideas my friends?

·
Registered
03 WJ, 4.Slow, 3" IRO
233 Posts
I would replace the three know defective parts first...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I counted 2, battery harness and battery. What was the third you spotted? Btw, Thank you for your time in helping me really appreciate it

·
Registered
03 WJ, 4.Slow, 3" IRO
233 Posts
Battery, clamps and wiring harness. ONLY then would I checked the alternator.

Just a suggestion, racing around a parking lot isn't likely to fix starting issues.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just to close out this this thread, and possibly help someone who faces similar issues in the future, so far, all evidence leans towards a completely thrashed negative battery harness. So bought the next one for 7 bucks or so at autozobe, went back into ny car go relax for a little bit before next swap apps but I have some problem where I can't put off later, what I can do right ::caveat:: that only applies to cars wish it extended back to my college days and work. Anyways, clipped the thick gage wires right below the old harness. Peeled back some new copper and the rest is history as I'm sure you could fill it in. Ho I e this is a good read for you while you're on the shit
ter.
20200626_085501.jpg

1 - 5 of 5 Posts