Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife still clings to her 1999 grand Cherokee. The last couple years she hasn't had AC, but tends not to care much. And it falls to me to find and fix issues. Anyway

Her compressor is brand new, that is I installed it last year, it's topped off with freon, and the low pressure switch is new (a month or so) and yet the compressor only ever cycles on and off quickly. Every once in awhile while driving you can feel a tiny burst of cool air then back to hot.

1999 grand Cherokee Laredo
4.0l 6cyl

If any other info is needed please ask away.
This is my first post here too, thanks.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I’ve heard of this, but can’t for the life of me, remember what it was.. all I know is some people would put a manual switch in to turn on the compressor.. maybe that will jog someone’s memory...

·
Registered
2014 Summit 5.7 4wd 20" tires swapped to 18", added all skid plates
1,798 Posts
When you say it's "topped off" with freon, what does that mean? What you describe are the symptoms of a very low freon charge. It needs very close to the exact amount on the placard put into an evacuated system. If you don't want to go that route you need a set of gauges so you can monitor the system pressure while it's running and cycling. Next up from there is assume it's low and put more in. My experience with older systems is that when you are working on them in this kind of hot weather it's just about impossible to overcharge them, sometimes it's almost impossible to get a full charge in.

·
Registered
03 WJ, 4.Slow, 3" IRO
139 Posts
Jimntempe is right. The only way to properly "top off" a system is to have the Jeep running, the AC on high, with gauges hooked up to both low and high pressure sides to get a correct balance in pressures.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts