Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry I’m new to this and new to jeeps in general, just bought my first Jeep it’s a 99 grand Cherokee limited 4.7 Quadra trac 2 with 112,000 km on it it worked great up until about 2 weeks ago after driving on the highway for about 20 minutes I tried to climb my friends snowy icy driveway not overly steep but a little in reverse and it it just spun the back wheels, front not engaging at all, I turned around and drove up forward and with some rear spinning I made it up.... when I got up top where it was flat and there was some room to play with it the front was now engaging but with some noise similar to the abs traction control noise in a newer vehicle ? So I let it sit for a few hours and tried again, worked perfect no noise no hesitation went down the steep driveway and tried to reverse up again, no issue climbed right up, drove back home on the highway nothing out of the ordinary everything works fine, sat overnight and tried again in the morning no issue worked as it should, again drove the highway for 30 minutes to my mechanic and same issue get into some snow and spin making the same noise put it on the hoist checked over driveline can’t see any visible problem, put the Jeep in gear while on the hoist all wheels spin no noise no issue went into some snow and spun the tires no noise, drive back home get into some snow noise is back loud and clear, so whatever the issue is it’s only after traveling at higher speed for a certain amount of time I drove all around the city at low speed for over an hour and went into some snow spinning tires with no noise no issue, I hope somebody out there can help me find somewhere to start I had some say transfer case but I just flushed it and it’s still the same and when it’s driven around city speeds there doesn’t seem to be any problem yesterday I climbed snowbanks and went through fields full of snow in low and high range with no issue no noise ?? I have no idea where to go from here, any ideas are greatly appreciated!!

·
The beast from Brazil
8,285 Posts
Welcome to the garage.
There is only a progressive coupler inside the T-case, which should progressively engage more power to the front wheels when there is enough speed difference between the front and the rear prop shafts. There is in fact always going some of the torque to the front wheels (around 20% when i'm not wrong), but this will increase progressively. So why it sometimes works and sometimes not, i can't give you a good reason for. You already changed the fluid, did you use the special T-case fluid (Mobil 242)?
Regarding the noise, did you check the front prop shaft joints for play?

Reactions: Beaver99wj

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the welcome as well as the reply ! This progressive coupler and again excuse my ignorance this is all new to me but is there any chance this coupler could be heating up at highway speeds and therefore causing issues ? And as far as the fluid change I don’t believe we used the correct fluid but I’ll check with my mechanic but on that it wasn’t doing it when I bought it now I’ve put 4000 km on and the issue began I did the flush and the issue continues same as before flush The highway speed seems to be the factor in it, I used it this afternoon all over town and go into some muddy conditions where everything worked fine and up a snowy trail no issues there either ? I’ve heard the chain slipping in some YouTube videos and the sound is similar but mine is much much more faint like I said almost like a traction control/abs sound ? I did not check prop shaft joints so that’s the next step !! Thanks again for you reply and patience it’s much appreciated

·
Registered
Jeep G. Cherokee
1,583 Posts
There's not a lot in these 247J transfer. A few bearings, a chain, a few gears, gear selecting fork and the viscous coupling. If it's having a power transfer issue I would be inclined to think the viscous coupling.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just wanted to throw an update here and a thank you for the replies in helping me out !! So after going over the driveline again and finding no problems we flushed the fluid again this time using the proper mopar fluid and there was the whole problem !!! All noise’s are gone, 4 wheel drive works fantastic it even feels better on dry pavement @Frango100 I couldn’t find Mobil 242 I ended up at the dealer and paid $50 for two bottles but I figure that’s a small price to pay every so often for the satisfaction of having things working properly !! It’s hard to believe a little bit of fluid could make that much difference..... thanks again,cheers!

·
Registered
2015 WK2 Overland
1,517 Posts
Glad to see its working. Another thing to keep in mind with the viscous coupling, you need to run the same size tires with the same amount of tread. I had an AWD Explorer a while back and had to replace all four tires after one blew out (HA!) because of the tread depth difference.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks !! It’s still going strong trail after trail and no issue..... other then my front bumper.... That’s a whole other issue 🤦🏻‍♂️ lol ......But yes on the tires I did hear that before so when we did the fluid change I rotated the tires and had tread depth and air pressure checked to make sure that was all good, thanks for letting me know though it’s great to have people to help out the inexperienced people like myself ! Much appreciated !!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts