Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 20 of 231 Posts

·
Registered
05' Jeep WK
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone,

To start off, I had just turned 17 the 18th of this April. Last summer, I went out and got myself this beautiful 05' Jeep WK Limited 5.7L. My Jeep hasn't been that much of a project for me, though, since I got it. This all changed when I got a RRO lift kit last Christmas. I put the lift on myself (I'll talk more of this later) and ever since have been looking to get the most out of my WK. While I don't have too many pictures/updates to show now, I will be at work as often as I can. So I thought, why not create this thread now? Anyways, I hope you all enjoy!

This is what it looked like when I got it last summer:

As I said before, I got a 2.25" Rocky Road lift kit. I had looked up what other people had to say about the installation and felt confident I could do it myself. I honestly didn't know what I was in for, but let me just say it was an experience... It took me awhile, but I really happy with the results. Here is how it came out:

I also just got the chance to change the oil if you're wondering why there's an oil catch pan under it... Anyways, as you can see I could use some larger tires. I went to my local OK4WD store and figure Toyo Grapplers would suit me best. I put an order on them and they should arrive next weekend!

I thought I would put up a picture of this bolt I removed when doing the rear of the lift. It gave me and my buddy a laugh when we saw it. I guess some rust got to it.

Aside from the useful offroad things, I have also done some aesthetic work for that well-needed street cred! One thing about me is that I love red, and you will notice this over the length of this thread... The first thing to get consumed by my love for red was the front tow hooks along with the RRO shocks I got with the lift. Here are the hooks: (I will get a picture of the shocks up sooner or later)

That is all for now, but it is really just the start. I have a lot in plan that will be done this week or the next!

·
Premium Member
07 grand cherokee
2,903 Posts

·
Registered
05' Jeep WK
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Premium Member
07 grand cherokee
2,903 Posts
if you can, let us know in that thread and we will add you to the list!

·
Registered
05' Jeep WK
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So it really has been a while since I had an update, but that doesn't mean I haven't been working on my Jeep. Actually, I have done quite a bit. Here's what has been done:

-Two inch wheel spacers were installed.
-Minor maintenance was done.
-I debadged most of the decals.
-Calipers were painted.
-Pinch weld mod was completed.
-Most of the underside was undercoated.

Here is what to come:

-The installation of additional lights.
-The installation of 33" tires.
-More simple DIY jobs.

I have pictures of most everything I did, I just have to get around to posting them.

·
Registered
05' Jeep WK
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I finally decided it was time to pick up new tires. I went with 33" BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A KO's. They look amazing and I even got the opportunity to test them out in some mud and on trails the day after.

·
Registered
05' Jeep WK
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I had originally planned on painting the grille the light khaki color that the rest of my Jeep is, but I thought that since my wheels will be painted a satin black, the grille would look nice matching. After that, I remembered seeing someone on this forum do Plasti Dip eyelids, so I thought I would give it a shot. The only thing is, my friend was really generous and did it for me while I was busy. :D I think they turned out great! To paint the grille, I used:

-Rustoleum Self Etching Primer.
-Rustoleum Flat Black Protective Enamel.
-Rustoleum Matte Clear.

Also, I just ordered a set of Aspen Creek windshield light mounts for my IPF 868 series lights. I'll be posting about that soon.

·
Super Moderator
2018 Jeep Trackhawk
57,015 Posts
wow...looks much better with the meatier tires

·
Registered
05' Jeep WK
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
As I said, I also painted my calipers. This was fairly easy, just a little time consuming. I first used my Dremel to clean and remove any rust. To paint I used:

-Rustoleum High Heat Primer.
-Rustoleum Caliper Paint Kit.

The kit comes with plenty of everything you need to paint your calipers with some to spare. The only issue I had was the included brush. I would occasionally find a bristle fall off and end up on my caliper or in the paint.

·
Premium Member
SRT8
2,732 Posts
I'd watch it on 2" wheel Spacers. Looks great but 2" spacers put tons of stress on the hubs. Idk If RRO are CAST vs forged vs spun. There's are reason spydertrax doesn't offer 2" spacers.

Cast is brittle.

·
Registered
05' Jeep WK
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So, a lot has been going on lately, and I even said I would post pictures of my freshly painted calipers. How hard would that be? I'll get on that, I swear heh heh. Anyways, here is the deal with my WK;

-All the paint and supplies needed to paint my wheels are in.
-Carbon fiber vinyl was used to convert interior wood trim.
-Rear differential fluid was changed.
-Bwoody oil catch can was ordered.
-LED's were ordered for my license plate lights.
-Oracle SMD strips have arrived for the footwells.
-Aspen Creek Offroad windshield light mounts were installed along with IPF 868 Series lamps. (The thread for that install is here: http://www.jeepgarage.org/f42/aspen-creek-wk-windshield-light-mounts-64660.html#post884318)

Also, I had a horrible transmission clunk that I had my buddy mechanic look over and as it turns out, I need a new front mount. My front differential slams around during shifting and also has a leak in it...wonderful.

·
Registered
JGC Overland
2,774 Posts
So I finally decided it was time to pick up new tires. I went with 33" BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A KO's. They look amazing and I even got the opportunity to test them out in some mud and on trails the day after.

Wow... bigtime! Do they hit the guards, liners or anything like that?

Cheers from Australia,
Steve

·
Registered
05' Jeep WK
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wow... bigtime! Do they hit the guards, liners or anything like that?

Cheers from Australia,
Steve
I had to use a heatgun a second time to further prevent the tire from rubbing the liner. And in the rear, when the axle was fully articulated, the inner part of the fender would put some nice tears in the outer part of the tire. This was only because I have the larger 2" wheel spacers though, so I just rolled the fenders a tad. Otherwise, the tires have been great!

·
Registered
05' Jeep WK
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The other day I got started on converting the interior wood trim to have a carbon fiber appearance. I used 3M carbon fiber vinyl and it worked very well. I did not take too long either. Here is how the dash came out:

I even took the red rattle can to the Quadra Drive II badge. :)

I still have to do the trim on the driver and passenger doors, but all in good time. So far I'm pleased with the way this came out! :D

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
nice work! that is my fav color of WK!

·
Registered
05' Jeep WK
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
1 - 20 of 231 Posts