Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
Diesel Jetta
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking at picking up a diesel JGC and weighing all the options. i want an overland however i may get a limited if the price is right.

i see they have ACC on some and was wondering for those who have it how much do you actually use it?
does it work well?
dealer recalls?
pros / cons

any other input would be great as well

·
Registered
40 Posts
I absolutely love ACC, especially on the congested highways in SoCal. It took me some time to get comfortable with it but once I got used to it I cant see ever using standard cruise control again.

·
Super Moderator
9,991 Posts
I wouldn't buy a vehicle without ACC...but that's me. It works well. The only downside to the JGC implementation is that if the radar dome gets dirty, FCW/ACC will stop working until you clean it off. That's mostly a winter issue, honestly, and in bad conditions, one shouldn't be using cruise control anyway.

Reactions: Stbentoak

·
Registered
2014 GC Summit
57 Posts
Let me explain this first...
I like to be in complete and total control of my whole vehicle. No auto lights, wipers, or transmissions. (Ok, some vehicles don't come with manual trans...)
When I'm driving along and have my cruise set at 64, I don't want it slowing down to 61 or 59, just because the car in front of me didn't learn how to set their cruise. If I'm in a hurry and have it set a couple mph over speed limit, I don't want to look down and see I'm only going speed limit. (Always obey traffic laws)
I used it a couple time after I got my jeep, but hardly even think about it now, doesn't even tempt me to try it.

That's just me....

In heavy pulsating traffic I could see it being nice. But I just increase the following distance so I don't have to break.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
It's better to have it and not like it than to not have it and realize your old std. cruise control is stone age. It wouldn't be showing up on low line vehicles like popcorn now if there wasn't a lot of merit in it....On long 600+ miles a day trip, wouldn't be without it...

·
Super Moderator
9,991 Posts
While the "sometimes unnoticed" gradual slowing because of traffic can occasionally cause bad words, I like that ACC also tends to react faster than I would when there's a more sudden change in speed or other hazardous situation. "Stuff happens" out there...

·
Premium Member
2,183 Posts
Here's what I think I've decided about ACC. It has its place, and I really really like it. I've even called it the greatest invention of the 21st Century (caller ID being my pick for the greatest of the 20th). But regular cruise control still has its place too, and I'm glad they gave us both.

I've concluded that ACC's best use is in fairly heavy traffic where you just pick a lane and stay in it, resigning yourself to go whatever speed the rest of the herd is going. For that it's truly wonderful, and I definitely would not want to go back to not having it.

But in moderate to light traffic, where I'm keeping right except to pass but not infrequently moving left to pass a slower vehicle, all too often I find myself realizing ACC has had me inadvertently chugging along for several minutes at 5 to 10 mph below my chosen speed. Regular cruise control works better in that context -- I think.

So I'm very glad to have both. I'm also glad it's so easy in the GC to choose whichever one you want at the moment. In my wife's Outback it's kind of a PITA to change from one to the other because instead of having a dedicated button for each, instead you have to long press on one button or another to swap it out. Not intuitive at all, I actually had to RTFM to figure it out.

·
Registered
2006 &2018 gc
64 Posts
being from long (congested) island i gave up any hopes of speed control years ago - couldn't keep it on for more than a few minutes at a time without tapping the break, cancelling or decreasing set limit to conform to traffic flow - now the acc manages to adapt to traffic variations without much of a problem so long as it isn't the height of rush hour

·
Registered
152 Posts
It doesn't work for me in heavy traffic because even the single line closest setting is so far back of the car in front that even grandma in her Sienna thinks she has enough room to cut you off. I use it but am overriding it almost constantly anytime traffic bunches to maintain a following distance that denies lane-changers thoughts of freedom.

·
Registered
2014 Summit 5.7 4wd 20" tires swapped to 18", added all skid plates
2,576 Posts
Greatest thing since sliced bread... and the ice maker in the fridge.
I use mine all the time. Light traffic, heavy traffic, freeway, regular roads. I don't think of it as a cruise control, I think of it as "what's the fastest I want to go if no one is in front of me. Then it does that without hitting the guy in front of me or dropping behind for no reason." So if traffic is cruising at 64 mph I will set the ACC for 70 or 75. And the JGC just follows along, speeding up and slowing down just like I would BUT I know if for some reason I was to get distracted that it will slam on the brakes so I don't run into the guy in front. Since I got used to the ACC I have never used the regular CC again.

·
Registered
Trailhawk
147 Posts
I had ACC in my previous car, a Charger while that worked well I like it even better in the because it will work down to a complete stop. I use it very often, from clear roads to maintain a set speed to semi congested to keep up with the flow of traffic. It works great.
My first car had air conditioning and a 3 speed auto, that was it. My GC, every bell and whistle I could get in the Trailhawk package. Lane sensing, blindspot, ACC, parking sensors, rear camera, auto dim brights, rain sensing wipers, heated seats and steering and whatever else came with the damned thing. I love 'em all.
Oh there are time when I manually override 'em because there don't react to conditions perfectly, there's times when I want to weave in and out of traffic and shut off the ACC specifically. But I won't ever own another new car without it. If I want the bare bones total control drive I'll get in my old 2000 XJ that's a rock crawler. I didn't buy GC for that though. It's my daily driver, lux cruiser.

·
Super Moderator
9,991 Posts
It would be nice if the folks who design ACC for vehicles put in a small, but relatively unobtrusive audible signal to advise the driver that the speed has slowed more than, say, 5 mph for longer than a certain period of time. Something like the little "wake-up, idiot" beep that EyeSight in our Outback gives when traffic ahead starts moving and you're still sitting there. :) That kind of thing would help to curtail the tendency for speeds to slowly ramp down without notice. And, yes, it should be able to be disabled for those who would hate that kind of thing.

Reactions: BubbaATL

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
I don't think I can say much more than has already been said. Yep, best addition to a vehicle since Air conditioning. I use it daily, every single trip. Plan to never buy another vehicle without it, etc etc, all true.

I will add that I was a skeptic before getting the JGC. Back in 2012 I was looking to get a JGC SRT.... I wasn't sure I could afford all the bells and whistles and I really wanted it for the engine, not the luxury, so I had planned to buy one without ACC. Unfortunately once they hit the market, it was decided you did not get a choice, all SRT had it. I had to save up another month and really ticked me off as I did not think I would ever use ACC.

I was SO wrong!

The only 2 problems that come to mind...

1. ACC on, following a vehicle that then moves over to the right into a turning lane and begins to slow down... Often the ACC will not realize he has moved a lane and continue to slow down when not needed. A little gas to override and usually all is well. Once or twice the vehicle has hit emergency braking but thats over 5 years of using the system.

2. As mentioned above, it DOES happen that I really want to be going much faster but I don't notice that I have started to slow down as the vehicle in front did.

·
Registered
2017 WK2 Overland
118 Posts
I remember when I thought intermittent windshield wipers were the greatest invention ever. :)

I'd be happy enough if the ACC implementation was tweaked so that the little green dash indicator (the one that shows your distance setting and indicates that it's detected a car ahead) turned orange when it was slowing below your set speed to accommodate. Just something subtle. Alternatively something added to the speedo display.

I kinda wish it was a bit faster to notice that the car in front has moved over, but I guess that's weighed against false detections when going around a curve and whatnot.

And I wish I could set it to go just a teensy bit closer. But eventually somebody doing so would push just beyond the ability to slow suddenly and crash into the guy in front, and lawsuits would ensue.

·
Lifer: Old Geezer
Overland
4,628 Posts
It's better to have it and not like it than to not have it and realize your old std. cruise control is stone age. It wouldn't be showing up on low line vehicles like popcorn now if there wasn't a lot of merit in it....On long 600+ miles a day trip, wouldn't be without it...
As a cruise control, even the furthest following distance is a bit too close for higher speed highways where it has some benefit.

I have mixed opinions, it is handy, but I turned off the auto braking a long time ago as if you are on a sharp corner with a bike ahead of you, the metal frame of most bicycles will trigger the [email protected]#[email protected]#$ thing as the bike turns such that it is perpendicular to you going around the corner. I don't mind the bleep bleep bleep, but the braking can get annoying if you drive mixed auto/bike roads with sharp corners.

It does tend to disable itself, particularly in the winter. It also tends to disable itself at one stoplight for reasons that still puzzle me.

Some folks have had trouble where it was not aligned properly and have had to have it replaced.

·
Premium Member
2,183 Posts
I think they must have tweaked the algorithm on the auto braking. Mine almost never false alerts, but it's saved my ass twice now (and I've only had it six months).

·
Super Moderator
9,991 Posts
While ACC and FCW/Braking use the same sensor, they are different features.

·
Registered
2014 Jeep Overland
16 Posts
I do a lot of highway driving where it has been very useful. Its one of those things that you set it and forget it. Once I figured it out there was no way I was going back to using the regular cruise control. Honestly one of my favorite options on the Jeep.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts