Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

Figure I'd put up the plans and project as I go. I have a 2014 WK2 Limited. I always like the Trailhawk but as it wasn't available for my year, I would have to make my own. I recently seen some other posts about adding some accessory lighting and thought some looked really good. I've never been a fan on big light bars on top. IMO they look slapped on, and not clean. Maybe good for a Wrangler but I feel the Grand Cherokee should look clean / stock.
Long story short, here are my plans:
  1. Add a accessory controller.
  2. Add rough country spot lights/DRLs behind lower grill on either side of Radar sensor.
  3. Add 3 Amber marker lights in seven slot grill, like the Raptor.
  4. Update grill to honey comb while front end is off.
  5. Add reverse flood lights. (Thinking flush mount to black cladding)
  6. And finally, add air compressor.
I've attached some pictures of the plan as well as some of the accessories. Any advice or input is always appreciated.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Love all of these ideas... where do you plan on installing the accessory controller?
I looked around at some other posts like this one from another thread:

I am thinking of doing the same, should be close to the fuse box since I will need a fuse tap for the controller as well. Also the clearances should work.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I looked around at some other posts like this one from another thread:

I am thinking of doing the same, should be close to the fuse box since I will need a fuse tap for the controller as well. Also the clearances should work.
Ah okay, I see. So you won't necessarily be installing the switches anywhere, just the power box itself. I assume the physical switches will just sit in the center console or something?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I thought you meant the main unit. I will mount the switches inside the cab... Haven't really locked down where I want to put them. I was thinking on the headliner between the sunroof and the dome lights. Any other ideas?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Between sunroof and dome lights was my first thought, you could use some type of Velcro and knock it out quick. Second thought was somewhere under/next to the steering column like you have shown in the picture, but not sure what type of mounting capabilities the back of that unit offers.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would be careful mounting on the headliner less the headliner pulls away and starts to sag then you really have problems
Yeah, I am a bit concerned. Its by far my favorite place for them but not the sturdiest. If I choose that I would have to brace it to try and keep that from happening.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I got a nice day the other day and got the trigger control unit installed. Went in easily. I like the placement and the hood has enough clearance. Wiring it in was a snap, couple of bolts and it was in. The fuse panel required some minor dremel trimming as to not pinch the fuse tap wire. I utilized the sunroof fuse since it had a few empty spots next to it for clearance.
I also had to drill a hole in the plastic to run the positive lead to the positive battery terminal so the hood wouldn't pinch it anywhere.
Just a few holes and some nuts and bolts I had laying around. Still have to silicone it for waterproofing and some locktite but overall fits great.
A little trimming to the plastic and a few layers of electrical tape to protect it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Nice i just did the same thing for my raptor style lights (less the controller). I too am wanting to put some cube lights on both sides of the ACC. I found 2 pre-threaded holes in the frame but would need to fab brackets that tuck backwards in order to fit. Alternatively im considering ordering just the mounting brackets from rough country’s 20” led bar kit for behind grill for ppl without ACC, and using those brackets to rig up the cubes.

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 JGC Altitude
18 Posts
Nice i just did the same thing for my raptor style lights (less the controller). I too am wanting to put some cube lights on both sides of the ACC. I found 2 pre-threaded holes in the frame but would need to fab brackets that tuck backwards in order to fit. Alternatively im considering ordering just the mounting brackets from rough country’s 20” led bar kit for behind grill for ppl without ACC, and using those brackets to rig up the cubes.
Hey, can you give me a link to the 6 dot (raptor style) lights? Looks pretty cool.

·
Registered
49 Posts
But i did add 2 more to the lower grill that had to be smaller for the diff honeycomb. Those are an ebay purchase, search ebay:

“3x Universal Fit Amber LED Bulb With Screw Grille Light Kit For Car Truck SUV RV”

seller is esongbon. So far all 8 are holding up great. Had afew rain storms today no problem.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sorry for the delay, I haven't been able to install anything else other then the controller yet, this covid-19 really held me up, gotta watch the kids all day. (I know others have it much worse so I won't complain too much)
I like how your marker lights came out, they look great. I thought about something similar about ordering brackets for the lower LED light bar but I was looking at the Fabworks 4X4 Mount and even contacted them to ask if they think it will work. They replied and even entered it into CAD to see if the clearances work. Here is their reply:

I was able to do some testing in CAD to see if a Rigid D-Series or similar 3” cube light would work with our 10J020 or 10J021 brackets. Unfortunately the results were not great, it appears the light will be mounted too far forward, resulting in it hitting the lower grille. Although it does clear the radar module easily.

I’ve attached a couple pictures so you can see what I’m talking about. If you were willing to trim your lower grille around the light it would likely work, but I’m not sure if you want to go that far.

If you did want to try it, please bear in mind that we cannot guarantee fitment. While the CAD models are generally accurate, some components on the Jeep may be missing. We’ll likely try and verify the fitment ourselves with a local Jeep, but it’s not likely to happen very soon.

I hope that helps.
Please let me know if you have any questions,
Thank you,
Alex

These results might be the same for rough country's mount as well. Just an FYI.

Fabworks went above and beyond to spend the time drawing up cad models (see attached) for a person who isn't even a customer (yet). I was considering mounting the lights with the upper bracket from Fabworks 4X4 but I am not sure if it would look too crowded in the upper grille with the pod lights and the marker lights.

When I get a little time I plan on removing the bumper to change my grille anyway and look for a mounting point for these pod lights, maybe even drilling a hole for a mounting location.

I'll keep you all updated as I go, sorry if there is a delay. I wanted to get this done by now but as I am sure you all know with everything going on this went on the back burner.

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
Thanks SafetyMan, I'm very happy with how they turned out as well! I actually have the Fab works upper grill mount coming today for a pair of pod lights. However, I'm going to return it because I agree it would be too much to have the pods and the marker lights in the same grill. Regarding the lower grill, I removed it not long ago and found two threaded bolt holes in the frame that could support a light bracket for a pod light. Unfortunately, they are not evenly spaced so it would require 2 completely different length/size brackets but as long as they bent down and then backwards a bit (towards the radiator), the pod lights should theoretically clear from hitting the grill.

·
Registered
2014 Summit 5.7 4wd 20" tires swapped to 18", added all skid plates
2,563 Posts
But i did add 2 more to the lower grill that had to be smaller for the diff honeycomb. Those are an ebay purchase, search ebay:

“3x Universal Fit Amber LED Bulb With Screw Grille Light Kit For Car Truck SUV RV”

seller is esongbon. So far all 8 are holding up great. Had afew rain storms today no problem.
Could you take a much closer up photo of them when they are off? I'd like a better idea of how they fit onto the grills. Thanks

·
Registered
42 Posts
Gents,

Just found this thread. I am planning to install the small LEDs in the grill, as well. I do not plan to use a controller and prefer them on at all times.

Where did you tap into in the front of the grill for power?

Thanks,
CC

The pics look great!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So I finally got some time this week to work on my Jeep, sorry for the delay. I got it all done and I like the results. I ordered the mounts from 4x4Fabworks and they fit great. Easiest way to install the Pod lights (granted mine are 2", anything bigger might have the clearance issues mentioned in my previous post).
So after I changed my grill from the vertical slots to the honey comb, I installed my marker lights with just a tight fitting rubber grommet and the provided bolt. Very Sturdy actually.
The 4x4fabworks bracket that works so well.

Night shots look much better.

Hope you like how it came out.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts