Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
i bought the same LED's wanting to do this.

i have the slotted grill inserts and still would like to use them.

any ideas where (or how to make) to get brackets for behind the slotted inserts?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
i bought the same LED's wanting to do this.

i have the slotted grill inserts and still would like to use them.

any ideas where (or how to make) to get brackets for behind the slotted inserts?
Not sure, I was in the same situation and I found it much easier just to upgrade to the honey comb grill (which I preferred anyway). If you want to keep the slot grill I would imagine you might have to make some modifications because I don't think that grill was all that rigid to support lights. I would be worried about the lights coming loose.

·
Registered
Altitude
7 Posts
View attachment 224458 So after I changed my grill from the vertical slots to the honey comb, I installed my marker lights with just a tight fitting rubber grommet and the provided bolt. Very Sturdy actually.
Question, what was the exact grommet you used? I can't really find anything that is looking like it will work for me. I also have those same light but haven't had much luck figuring out how to mount them without them looking bad, lol.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Question, what was the exact grommet you used? I can't really find anything that is looking like it will work for me. I also have those same light but haven't had much luck figuring out how to mount them without them looking bad, lol.
Unfortunately I don't remember the exact size rubber grommet that I used. I know I went to my local home depot with my bulb and a piece of my grill (it wasn't installed yet) and played with them until I found the size that worked. I think either 1/2" or 3/8" should work. This is what I bought, but again. I don't remember 100% on the size.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Nice i just did the same thing for my raptor style lights (less the controller). I too am wanting to put some cube lights on both sides of the ACC. I found 2 pre-threaded holes in the frame but would need to fab brackets that tuck backwards in order to fit. Alternatively im considering ordering just the mounting brackets from rough country’s 20” led bar kit for behind grill for ppl without ACC, and using those brackets to rig up the cubes.
blaster9,

What/Where did you tap into for your Raptor lights? I assume they are on all the time.

Thanks,
CC

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·

Just installed a pair of Rigid Ignite Backup Lights on the lower bumper of the Jeep and I gotta say I am really impressed how they came out and how easy it was to install. The most nerve-racking part was cutting a hole in the lower plastic. I drilled a small hole and then used my dremel until it was wide enough to ensure a perfect fit. It was then just a matter of running the wires up to the reverse lights and splicing them in, and they are BRIGHT.

·
Registered
42 Posts
SafetyMan84 -

For your yellow LED lights in the grill, where/what did you tap into for power? Are they on all the time?

I am have the LEDs, but I am unsure where to get the power. I would like them on once the ignition is on.

Thanks,
CC

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
SafetyMan84 -

For your yellow LED lights in the grill, where/what did you tap into for power? Are they on all the time?

I am have the LEDs, but I am unsure where to get the power. I would like them on once the ignition is on.

Thanks,
CC
I utilized a controller, if you go back to one of my original posts I wired in a accessory control module and wired them in so they go on and off with a switch. I know a lot of guys just wire them into parking lights but I wanted the option to turn them off. Plus I was adding other lights as well so the controller made it easier to run the others.

·
Registered
2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
202 Posts
Hey everyone,

Figure I'd put up the plans and project as I go. I have a 2014 WK2 Limited. I always like the Trailhawk but as it wasn't available for my year, I would have to make my own. I recently seen some other posts about adding some accessory lighting and thought some looked really good. I've never been a fan on big light bars on top. IMO they look slapped on, and not clean. Maybe good for a Wrangler but I feel the Grand Cherokee should look clean / stock.
I disagree. You can get a good, clean look... If you spent as much time and effort as I did trying to figure out how to best accomplish that lol. Here's my setup:

Attachments

·
Registered
2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
202 Posts
Do you have any guidance on how you did your wiring to keep it clean looking?
I got the inspiration from 2180Miles; if you Google him you'll find his page with his mods and "how to's" - It was very helpful.

I did my setup slightly different. Essentially I removed one of my roof rack side rails and fed the wiring under that and notched out the back slightly. Then into my cargo area - Here I wasn't so concerned about concealing it, so it just goes down the side to my trail light. It's black with black loom so it looks fine to me. Once at the tail light, I popped that off and fed the wiring behind it which comes out under the Jeep. Since my buddy has a hoist in his garage, it was easy to find a wiring harness that went all the way to the front of the vehicle, and simply attached it along this. Once at the front, into the engine bay and then through the fire wall for the switch.

I'm very happy how it turned out, and it's a very clean, low profile look. Had lots of compliments on it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I disagree. You can get a good, clean look... If you spent as much time and effort as I did trying to figure out how to best accomplish that lol. Here's my setup:

View attachment 228826

View attachment 228827

Definitely looks much better then the mounts right above the windshield. I've seen a few mounted to the light bar and they do look great like that. I have a few apprehensions with mounting on my crossbar though. 1. I do mount equipment/tools on my crossbars regularly and think a light bar might interfere. For that reason I was thinking about small light pods in the corner leaving room to mount stuff. Have you found that the light bar would interfere with any racks or tie downs?
2. I see that you have the dual panel sunroof as well. Do you notice any more whistling coming from the light and bar when your sunroof is open or vented?
3. When the roof light is on, how much shines through the roof? Does any shine through the sunroof cover? I know those bars are bright and I don't need to blind myself when I turn this thing on.

Again, the mount looks clean you did a fantastic install. Thanks for the post and any further info.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I would be careful mounting on the headliner less Nox Vidmate VLC the headliner pulls away and starts to sag then you really have problems
Thanks for the tip. I was concerned about that and wasn't exactly sure how to securely mount the switch bank that wouldn't ruin the headliner with constant use. I found the spot in front of the center console fit really well. I was initially concerned that the switches would interfere with the center console latches but I haven't been having any problem. I think they look good and their location is convenient to get too if I need them.

·
Registered
16 Posts
For the raptor grill lights that just stay on with the vehicle running and in a non-controller/switch setup, can/do you fuse tap as power source? Which fuse slot/size do you use? I know the 4runners have setups that tap power from an unused fused slot. Thanks for any help!

21 - 39 of 39 Posts