Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys.

I'm looking to buy a new Jeep Grand Cherokee right now because the deals are so good but I'm curious what you all think about buying a higher trim level vs the lowest trim level possible and just adding what you want afterward.

I was thinking I'd buy the Laredo E and add Katzkin leather and heated seats to it, add tinted windows, etc. Jeep Grand Cherokee Leather Seats | Replacement Seat Covers | Katzkin

Do you think it's better/cheaper to buy a higher trim level then pay a third party to add in what you want or to just purchase a higher trim level like a Platinum?

Thoughts?

·
Registered
83 Posts
I'm currently facing this issue. My suggestion is to buy exactly what you want with all the options upfront even though some are great projects. I have a Altitude but now I'm wondering if I should have brought a High Altitude or a Summit. Either way you'll find all the support you need here to get your projects done.

·
Registered
2014 Summit 5.7 4wd 20" tires swapped to 18", added all skid plates
3,124 Posts
In most cases my vote is buy it from the factory. It will have factory warranty, no one will have disassembled your car to install some aftermarket parts, if it breaks you only have the factory/dealer to complain to, no finger pointing between installers and the dealer. I'm sure people can come up with exceptions but as basic advice if you can get it from the factory do so... even if it costs a bit more.

·
Administrator
11,626 Posts
Buy the trim level that provides the features you require. In quite a number of cases, you cannot add certain features to a lower trim level aftermarket or the cost is "yuge"....

Reactions: SouthDakota

·
Premium Member
2018 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk w/ 5.7 V8
257 Posts
I agree with the others here. Minor things that you used to be able to add easily are no longer a given, especially if the computer has to be told to activate it. There are programs out there to help activate items, like AlphaOBD and others, but they can only do so much.

Its about costing you a bit more up front versus more down the road. We could have bought a little lesser mileage 2019 lower trim level for what we paid for this 27k miles 2018 Trailhawk, but we wanted the toys.

Its also about your tolerance for projects, as everything is so tightly packed and there are so many features on these things now-a-days. Sometimes while you're in there, things in pieces installing part/feature A, you bump part B. After you get everything back together, you realize feature C isn't working now because you accidentally bumped part B while you were installing part/feature A, and you have to tear it all apart again to figure out what you bumped and what you have to do to fix it. :)

·
Registered
98 Posts
I would definitely agree with the others to get the factory options you want. We just bought a new Limited with all the options we wanted and got the Max Care 8/125 warranty for peace of mind for many miles ahead. That way if something does goes wrong with anything, we're only out a max of $200 plus sales tax to get it fixed. There's just too many complicated things that can go wrong with these vehicles today.

·
Premium Member
SRT8
3,017 Posts
Typical Consensus Buy the options you want they are cheaper to get on the machine then attempting to add later.

There are threads about adding Blind Spot monitoring later etc Adaptive Cruise etc Even air suspension... Always come out the Same Just get it from the factory.

Trailer Hitches can be added later easily etc

·
Registered
48 Posts
Trailer Hitches can be added later easily etc
Maybe the hitch itself isn't a problem, but the more important features of trailer tow packages such as higher amp electrical systems, heavy duty engine and transmission cooler packages are not easily added. Just because the factory hitch bolts on doesn't mean you will have the same towing capability as a factory equipped model.

Another vote to get it from the factory if you want it.

·
Administrator
11,626 Posts
railer Hitches can be added later easily etc
But not with full towing capacity. Anyone who has heavy towing needs should buy with Factory Towing. It's also a lot more difficult to add towing to Laredo based and some Limited vehicles because they stopped prewiring from the factory on JGCs that do not have Factory Towing, starting in MY18, if my memory serves.

Reactions: xJoshxx and Aloha8

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey guys.

I'm looking to buy a new Jeep Grand Cherokee right now because the deals are so good but I'm curious what you all think about buying a higher trim level vs the lowest trim level possible and just adding what you want afterward.

I was thinking I'd buy the Laredo E and add Katzkin leather and heated seats to it, add tinted windows, etc. Jeep Grand Cherokee Leather Seats | Replacement Seat Covers | Katzkin

Do you think it's better/cheaper to buy a higher trim level then pay a third party to add in what you want or to just purchase a higher trim level like a Platinum?

Thoughts?
Buy the highest trim level that you can afford, better resale value and factory installed options are usually higher quality...you won't regret it especially when you have to pay for adding accessories not to mention the labor costs. It all depends on what will make you happy when you get in it and drive it every day. There's an old saying..."pay once, cry once"

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey guys.

Thoughts?
It depends on what extras you want to add later on. To be honest the base Grand Cherokee Laredo (in Dubai) comes pretty loaded with most features needed compared to stripped down base versions of other makes. I bought one of the first WK2's back in 2014 and added rear parking sensors and reverse camera as these were pretty much the only things I missed on a Laredo. Then there are a number of nice to have things like heated and cooled leather seats, navigation, air suspension available on higher trims but not all are necessarily useful and durable. For example the air suspension is great but is sure to burn a hole in the pocket right after warranty runs out. I did go on and add a host of underbody protection from Mopar and Chief Products in addition to side steps and off road alloys over the years to make it the car I needed still under the price point of the Limited trim that would have gotten me an additional sun roof which can hardly be used in our desert climate. Having used the car for 6 years now I can tell the good and the bad of this great overall vehicle from personal experience. Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive tire Regularity rally

·
Registered
Summit
83 Posts
Hey guys.

Thoughts?
Personally I buy a 1 or 2 year old top trim level for the same money as a new entry level vehicle. This is what I did with my recent Summit purchase. Also you can lessen the frequent trips to the dealer for the nagging little things that you find sometimes on a new buy. Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hey guys.

Thoughts?
They only offer certain options on the Laredo. I wanted to do the same thing and ended up buying a Limited to get all the options I wanted. They are marketed that way to get you to spend more money on an upgrade.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Personally I buy a 1 or 2 year old top trim level for the same money as a new entry level vehicle. This is what I did with my recent Summit purchase. Also you can lessen the frequent trips to the dealer for the nagging little things that you find sometimes on a new buy. Just my thoughts.
That's a great way of beating depreciation. I did that for all my other cars except the WK2 as I bought right after the new shape was launched in 2014. Please get maxcare warranty as long as you can get. I guess the lifetime warranty and 7 years are no longer offered anyone. On these cars except to shell out 1000 - 2000$ every year on parts after the warranty runs out unless you sell it right around the expiration of 5 years or whatever mileage is covered. Buying used reduces that period of peace of mind..

·
Registered
Summit
83 Posts
That's a great way of beating depreciation. I did that for all my other cars except the WK2 as I bought right after the new shape was launched in 2014. Please get maxcare warranty as long as you can get. I guess the lifetime warranty and 7 years are no longer offered anyone. On these cars except to shell out 1000 - 2000$ every year on parts after the warranty runs out unless you sell it right around the expiration of 5 years or whatever mileage is covered. Buying used reduces that period of peace of mind..
I thought of getting Maxcare when I first got the Summit but, being a 2016 the coverage begins at date of first service so even at 7 years it wouldn't take me to the years that I would expect serious repairs, so I've decided to roll the dice.
I did the same with my last vehicle (GMC Denali) and never had any major problems in 8 yrs. So I'm hoping for the same good luck with the Jeep.

·
Registered
793 Posts
I'm guessing prices may drop this summer which might be enough to convince me to buy before the redesign. Our 2014 was ordered from the factory since I couldn't find any ecodiesels with the offroad package at any dealers nearby. Plus, we have the black forest green paint which seems to be pretty rare.

·
Registered
High Altitude JGC
26 Posts
Hey guys.

Thoughts?
This is such a person matter of choice. I like bells, whistles and comfort, so I always look for the model that suites me and my personal style. My current vehicle is the 2018 JGC High Altitude. Prior to that I had the 2002 Overland. Both are higher trim levels, but not necessarily the highest. I liked the more sporty appearance of the High Altitude and I got a good deal on it as well.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I thought of getting Maxcare when I first got the Summit but, being a 2016 the coverage begins at date of first service so even at 7 years it wouldn't take me to the years that I would expect serious repairs, so I've decided to roll the dice.
I did the same with my last vehicle (GMC Denali) and never had any major problems in 8 yrs. So I'm hoping for the same good luck with the Jeep.
Good luck. I regret not purchasing the 7 years warranty extension when it was still available. Right after the 100,000km mark which I ran in 4 years; my fuel pump failed. While getting it fixed the dealership claimed that fuel tank had a crack and it needs to be replaced. Got that done and after the 5 years mark I've been told Oil cooler gasket and purge hose needs replacement which is the next one scheduled. Further a rear propeller shaft has been identified as possible upcoming fat repair bill. Many of the issues are damaged rubber components but Jeep has designed in such a way that whole metal parts needs replacement for fixing a cracked rubber which makes no sense and ridiculously expensive.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I’m pretty happy with my base Laredo. The only thing I’m really missing is 4 low, but I have a modified ZJ that’s more off-road capable anyway. I’ve added JL Rubicon wheels, tow hooks and a hitch so far. These were fun Saturday projects that did not cost much. I like the Laredo cloth seats especially. Leather tends to be kind of fragile.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I’m pretty happy with my base Laredo. The only thing I’m really missing is 4 low, but I have a modified ZJ that’s more off-road capable anyway. I’ve added JL Rubicon wheels, tow hooks and a hitch so far. These were fun Saturday projects that did not cost much. I like the Laredo cloth seats especially. Leather tends to be kind of fragile.
Thankfully here in Dubai the very basic models are not sold. The base Laredo available here is equipped with Quadra Track II including low range transfer case, paddle shifters and 18 inch alloys. I love the cloth seats for the climate out here. Didn't find much point to invest in higher trim with navigation which will soon be outdated.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.