Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
JGC HA
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been looking around the web at some of these add-on dongle systems to seem to give you Apple CarPlay and Android Auto in a dongle that you plug into your USB port. So before I attempt to make the purchase I'm wondering if anyone has tried any of these and what your thoughts are?
Selling it for 99 Euros plus what looks like 40 Euros shipping

Here are some links to a reasonably priced dongle add-on

https://carperformance.se/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtIYlCRjD78

·
Premium Member
2,441 Posts
It looks like you need more than the Dongle.

It needs to run some other “mirror” like hardware than can then run the App.

The microphone looks kludgey too

·
Super Moderator
10,341 Posts
By the time you go to all this trouble and add all the doo-dads, etc...hoping it would actually work...you might be better served by just getting a third party head unit with the Maestro interface that will not only give you AndroidAuto and CarPlay, but also faster processing, better sound and so forth... But that's just an opinion.

·
Registered
JGC HA
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It looks like you need more than the Dongle.

It needs to run some other “mirror” like hardware than can then run the App.

The microphone looks kludgey too
I believe you download the apk needed to the dongle. Then you run CarPlay through it. The mic is dumb looking, but you don't really need that, but thats what we get with Apple's closed system.

·
Registered
JGC HA
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
2015 WK2 Overland
2,082 Posts
Why not just swap the UAQ system in and have a complete OE solution?

·
Registered
JGC HA
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Why not just swap the UAQ system in and have a complete OE solution?
I was looking for an inexpensive solution. Its not really that important to me to spend $1000. The only thing I would really use would be Google Maps which Apple is making available to CarPlay in iOS 12.
For a couple hundred bucks I would do it, more expensive than that, its not really worth it for me.

·
Registered
Subaru Legacy STIEVO
2,160 Posts
Looks like you need the 499 Euro add-on to this dongle for a low price of 600 Euros, not including shipping and void warranty.

·
Super Moderator
10,341 Posts
Looks like you need the 499 Euro add-on to this dongle for a low price of 600 Euros, not including shipping and void warranty.
Yea...there is no low-cost option to add something like CarPlay/AndroidAuto to an existing non-compliant head unit. The complexity is also going to be a field day for "Murphy", if you catch my drift!

·
Registered
JGC HA
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yup... screw it. Can't beat the price of a $15 dash mount for my phone.

·
Registered
24 Posts
It’s a long shot that FCA would do the same but just read an article on “car and driver” Mazda is installing CarPlay and android auto to their 2014+ models that dont have it for around $200 plus labor so maybe there is some hope for us that have 2014,15,16 models. If they do the same as Mazda which is doubtful.

·
Super Moderator
10,341 Posts
It’s a long shot that FCA would do the same but just read an article on “car and driver” Mazda is installing CarPlay and android auto to their 2014+ models that dont have it for around $200 plus labor so maybe there is some hope for us that have 2014,15,16 models. If they do the same as Mazda which is doubtful.
There is zero hope for that to happen as has been discussed a number of times here in the forum. The head units are electronically incapable of supporting those features. For folks who really need to have them, the can install the MY18+ systems as detailed in a sticky thread up above or move to a third party head unit using an interface such as the Maestro IDF.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Does the maestro interface fully integrate with all the factory settings and controls, is this option cheaper than a OEM unit with integrated apple car play? (I would want a brand name unit if going aftermarket)

By the time you go to all this trouble and add all the doo-dads, etc...hoping it would actually work...you might be better served by just getting a third party head unit with the Maestro interface that will not only give you AndroidAuto and CarPlay, but also faster processing, better sound and so forth... But that's just an opinion.

·
Super Moderator
10,341 Posts
Does the maestro interface fully integrate with all the factory settings and controls, is this option cheaper than a OEM unit with integrated apple car play? (I would want a brand name unit if going aftermarket)
Crutchfield has a table on their site that tells you what vehicle functions are retained based on which level of the "kit" you purchase. Go to the site, put in your make/model/year of vehicle, select the head unit you want or have and then there will be a link that points you to the discounted (if you buy head and kit together) matrix of interface kits. It's pretty clear about what will be available to you. One thing that cannot be retained is the OEM cabin microphone...you must use the one that comes with the new head unit for hands-free.

·
Super Moderator
10,341 Posts
There are very, very few units that support "wireless" CarPlay so that's going to affect your cost. The UAQ does not support "wireless" CarPlay, BTW. I would also be concerned with performance trying to use this technology via wireless in the current state of things...there are glitches with wired that haven't been solved completely.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yeah I noticed, once had a rental car with carplay and remembered how much of a pain it ws having to plug my phone in everytime. Might just go for the $15 iphone holder for now ?

Edit: Totally agree about the glitchyness regarding wireless just look at the state of Bluetooth and it's been around for decades?

There are very, very few units that support "wireless" CarPlay so that's going to affect your cost. The UAQ does not support "wireless" CarPlay, BTW. I would also be concerned with performance trying to use this technology via wireless in the current state of things...there are glitches with wired that haven't been solved completely.

·
Registered
2015 WK2 Overland
2,082 Posts
I've only had mine a few weeks and I've gotten used to plugging it in. Plus my aging 6S battery enjoys the extra charge now. On the bonus when using CarPlay you get the HD sound quality when calling another iPhone.

·
Registered
9 Posts
So what kinda of setup did you go for aftermarket?
I've only had mine a few weeks and I've gotten used to plugging it in. Plus my aging 6S battery enjoys the extra charge now. On the bonus when using CarPlay you get the HD sound quality when calling another iPhone.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.