Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am eyeing a purchase for a 2018 Trailhawk this weekend. It has the Luxury and safety packages.

I want the CD player, but the dealer didn't order it with the vehicle. Is there a way to add it after the fact?

According to the dealer, they can't even locate in the parts inventory so they can't do anything. I tried doing google searches and found sites that sell it, but none specify that it works for the 2018 model. I did find similar GC's out of state that have it added, so is it just a factory only option?

I really don't want to lose access to my 2k+ CD collection.

Thank you for the help.

·
Super Moderator
9,938 Posts
There appears to be an option for a remote CD player for MY18, but it may very well be a different unit that for previous years because the 2018 head units are made by a different manufacturer. There may not be inventory for the required part to buy as aftermarket at this point or, as you surmise, there may be no intention to offer it. If it's put in the center console as with previous years, it's not a popular thing for folks because of all the storage space lost. Perhaps you can find someone who bought a vehicle "off the lot" with the option who wants to sell it in the Jeep Garage Classifieds "Wanted" forum area.

·
Registered
18 WK2 Trailhawk
603 Posts
I am eyeing a purchase for a 2018 Trailhawk this weekend. It has the Luxury and safety packages.

I want the CD player, but the dealer didn't order it with the vehicle. Is there a way to add it after the fact?

According to the dealer, they can't even locate in the parts inventory so they can't do anything. I tried doing google searches and found sites that sell it, but none specify that it works for the 2018 model. I did find similar GC's out of state that have it added, so is it just a factory only option?

Thank you for the help.
I put all my CDs on a 128 Gig USB memory stick. Works great. I'm old school and was surprised with all the vehicles that no longer offer a CD player at all, but I got over it. I'm not sure there is a way to add a CD player after the fact.

·
Premium Member
2,441 Posts

Thank you for the help.
Rip'Em. You'll enjoy your music more when you don't have to flip CD's.

I also have everything ripped to a 128GB USB Stick. About 1000 CD's now.

I also VALUE my CD's and would hate to beat them up in the car.

It can be a daunting chore with that many to RIP, but so well worth it.
You can pay to have them ripped to. But you need to learn how to add to the collection later. So just do it, it's not that hard.

Suggest that you Rip them to some "loss-less" format (not MP3).

Personally I use and strongly recommend this app https://www.dbpoweramp.com best $30 I ever spent.

You'll spend more on getting that CD player installed than getting your collection ripped.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have closer to 3k CDs, and I am well aware of being able to rip and know how. I just don’t want to give up the physical CDs.

Didn’t see any ads in the marketplace but I know since it’s available from the factory, it has to be an option, maybe just not for standalone.

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
Somewhere on one of the forums is a walk through on how to install it in previous model years. Sorry, not sure which one but I Know I saw it it because back before we got our previous JGC I had printed it out as I thought I was getting one without it already there.

Though it is possible the 2018 CD player will have a different part# due to the mfg of the headunit changing but the actual install and the plastic mounting and trim pieces are likely to be the same. They at least LOOK identical anyway.

Reach out to a dealer with a Vin from one with it installed and they should be able to provide a part # or wait a couple months and all the online parts lookups should have them updated and view able.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Somewhere on one of the forums is a walk through on how to install it in previous model years. Sorry, not sure which one but I Know I saw it it because back before we got our previous JGC I had printed it out as I thought I was getting one without it already there.

Though it is possible the 2018 CD player will have a different part# due to the mfg of the headunit changing but the actual install and the plastic mounting and trim pieces are likely to be the same. They at least LOOK identical anyway.

Reach out to a dealer with a Vin from one with it installed and they should be able to provide a part # or wait a couple months and all the online parts lookups should have them updated and view able.
Thank you. I can't get over not having a CD player, so I am resisting following through with the purchase. I know it sounds petty, but I am spending $50k on a vehicle, I want it to have everything I want.

·
Super Moderator
9,938 Posts

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
Hah, awesome, thanks!!!! Sorry, I am used to just looking at "new posts" and just assumed it was lost in old threads. But there you go OP!

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I fought that battle for a while, but with the 2018 having Carplay/Android Auto and having access to 20 Million Songs via Spotify it's just not worth it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the help. I located two GC's inbound to a sister dealership that have CD players. My local dealer is trying to work it out so they come here instead.

If not, I will probably give up and just keep an eye out and hope they release the part for public consumption later on down the road.

·
Registered
Altitude
2,753 Posts
say bye bye to you center console storage!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts