Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
41 - 60 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
i think theres more to it than that
I think it could be that simple. The two fans in each seat appear to be simple 12 volt fans. There is 12 volt ignition switched power to each seat and a center off rocker switch could be added with full 12 volts to the fan motors for a "high" setting in one position and a PWM reduced voltage to the fan motors for a "low" setting in the other position.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks onlyina,

It appears that 4 wires need to be swapped. They are "Heated Steering Wheel Return (A9)" needs to be swapped with "Fused Ignition Switch Output (B4)" and "Left Front Seat Heater Control (B3)" needs to swapped with "Heated Steering Wheeel Feed (B8)".

I am planning on making the swap on the seat side of the connector. Do you know if it's "reasonably possible" to remove the existing wire pin/socket from the connecter and just swap them? Or I might just cut the wires and then crimp & solder them back in the correct positions.

·
Registered
GC Limited
162 Posts
When I swapped MY17 seats into my MY14 Jeep, I had to switch pins around.

I swapped mine on the seat side and left the vehicle wiring as is. The pins that are being swapped around are different sizes so I cut off the old ones crimped new ones on.

The connector is pretty simple to take apart. Pull off the top part of the connector that is held on by clips on each side, this will allow you to take out the insert inside the connector. From there you can release the pins you need to move.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 · (Edited)
When I swapped MY17 seats into my MY14 Jeep, I had to switch pins around.

I swapped mine on the seat side and left the vehicle wiring as is. The pins that are being swapped around are different sizes so I cut off the old ones crimped new ones on.

The connector is pretty simple to take apart. Pull off the top part of the connector that is held on by clips on each side, this will allow you to take out the insert inside the connector. From there you can release the pins you need to move.
The gauges of the seat wire maybe different for the respective years so you may have to order pins from www.mouser.com as well as a crimper from amazon in order for them to seat in their slots and lock in with the body harness connector. its not hard but a PIA. especially reinserting the alignment guide for the seat harness.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks to everyone for the information. Got the heated seats working today! (Just what I need now that it is over 100 degrees here in the Phoenix area.)

I went with the cut/crimp/solder/heat shrink method. That's how they would repair a wiring issue anyway... And I don't think the short (1 inch) section where the 16 gauge is connected to the 18 gauge on the one pin will cause issues.

As a side note to anyone else doing this, after the dealer added the heated seats sales code (JPM) and flashed the Jeep, the heated seats did not show up on the radio screen. We could see the HSM module on the WiTech screen and read all of the data from it, but nothing on the screen. So in the process of leaving, I ended up turning the vehicle off and on several times. The last time when I went to leave, low and behold, the heated seats showed up!

Now I just have to figure out what to do to wire up the ventilated seats option. There was no way to add the sales code (CAJ) so they don't show up. But I am still planning on just adding a switch on the side of each seat to turn them on. Has anyone played with the wiring to these ventilation motors? Looking at the wiring diagram, the motors have 3 connections. One is ignition switch 12 volts, one is ground, and the other is labeled "vent seat return". One of my electrically inclined buddies and I believe that if that third wire sees a positive voltage (or perhaps a ground), the motors will run. I have a couple on/off/on rocker switches and when I determine how to make the motors run, I'll mount those switch and hopefully have high/low ventilated seats.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
the body harness of the Laredo does not support vented seats so WiTech wont recognize the module.

keep us updated on the "hot wiring" of the vents modules! will need pics!

·
Registered
3 Posts
For those of you who have swapped out seats from different model year vehicles, have you found that the wiring harness connectors are different? I have a '14 GC Laredo with cloth seats (drivers side is power, psgr side is manual). I found some seats from a '16 Summit that are really nice but the wiring harness connectors are different. They are yellow on the Summit seats and they are brown on my Laredo. Just wondering if I will be able to make it work. Not concerned about heat/ventilation. I just want the power seats to work. Also, the Summit passenger seat has 2 wiring harness connectors. One yellow and one brown.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I put MY 16 in my MY 15 Laredo but the connectors were the same including the color. A yellow connector indicates an Air Bag circuit so I take it yours does not have air bags in the seats?

As long as you check the wiring and update it for the changes between MY 14/15 and MY 16/17 it should work. If your Laredo does not have seat air bags, I would be sure to isolate the air bag circuits in the MY 16 seats.

I subscribed to alldatadiy.com for both the MY 15 and My 16 grand cherokees and it was the best $35 I spent. I search for coupon codes and the first one for $20 and the second for $15. (for 1 year access)

·
Registered
3 Posts
The seats on my '14 Laredo have tags on them that say SRS AIR BAG. But the connectors are brown.

Does Alldatadiy have wiring schematics that show what the wires that go into the connectors are for? That's really the information that I need.

·
Registered
9 Posts
alldatadiy has pretty much everything. It takes a little looking around to find the data sometimes. The seat connectors are listed in the wiring stuff but they are called inline body connectors.

My local dealership uses alldata instead to tech authority.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well, I found some seats from a '14 that have the same wiring harness connectors, however the drivers seat is a memory seat and my vehicle does not have that option. Will it cause any problems to install a memory seat in a vehicle without memory?

·
Registered
'12 JGC 3.6L V6 4x4
54 Posts
sorry for the late reply...i can only speak to the MY14-17 that uses the 8.4 to run the individual modules throughout the jeep. im unfamiliar with the wiring for the 1st gen WK2's

You can quickly compare the wires from the body harness on your jeep and those on the heated seats you installed to see if the colors and pins match up.

If they do, sign up for a 3 day Tech Authority subscription and study the wiring diagrams, specifically the body / console harness of your jeep and a comparable one that has heated front seats i.e. a Laredo X. From there you should be able to figure out what the Laredo X has that your E doesn't to make those seats work. Also check your fuse box to confirm a heated seat fuse is present

im 99.9% sure the LaredoX and LaredoE share the same body harness

Back again. Have a couple questions if you have the time?

So on your 2014+ model you own, did you have heated seats before? I assume not right? On the passenger front side under the seat, did you have two large plugs coming up to plug into the seat or just one?

I ask because on 11-13's the heated seat module is under the passenger seat. One plug plugs in for airbags and power seat functions while the other one is for the heated seats.

I don't have the heated seats wire/plug on my jeep, but it came with seats I got from a junkyard, however my jeep does have the yellow 20A fuse in slot M8 for "heated front seats and steering wheel"

I'd love to get this working somehow. I'll have to buy another 3-day subscription on AuthorityTech to see for differences. Any info you can provide is a huge help!

·
Registered
GC Limited
162 Posts
On my 2014 Limited, (heated front and rear seats, power driver seat with memory, manual passenger seat) I had two big connectors on the passenger side (one yellow and one black) and a single large yellow connector on the driver side.

The 2014+ also has the heated seat module under the passenger seat along with the power inverter. The driver side has the seat memory module. It was the same setup in the 2017 Trailhawk seats that I bought to replace my seats.

I should still have the full 2014 and 2017 connector pin outs. PM your email and I can send them to you if I find them.

If memory serves me correctly, the heated/vented seats all go over the large yellow connector. The other black connector is used for the center console buttons for the rear heated seat and the power inverter.

·
Registered
'12 JGC 3.6L V6 4x4
54 Posts
On my 2014 Limited, (heated front and rear seats, power driver seat with memory, manual passenger seat) I had two big connectors on the passenger side (one yellow and one black) and a single large yellow connector on the driver side.

The 2014+ also has the heated seat module under the passenger seat along with the power inverter. The driver side has the seat memory module. It was the same setup in the 2017 Trailhawk seats that I bought to replace my seats.

I should still have the full 2014 and 2017 connector pin outs. PM your email and I can send them to you if I find them.

If memory serves me correctly, the heated/vented seats all go over the large yellow connector. The other black connector is used for the center console buttons for the rear heated seat and the power inverter.
Thanks! I have a 2012, but this should hopefully help me. I'll PM ya.

Oh wait, did yours come from the factory with both passenger plugs? the yellow and black one I mean. I don't have the one for heated seats as I am a Laredo with manual cloth seats...well until I swapped my seats for power leather ones. Power functions are Plug-n-Play. I'm pretty sure the second plug is attached to body harnes...I hope I am wrong...

·
Registered
GC Limited
162 Posts
The second black connector is labeled as the "Console Center/Seat Cushion Passenger/Video Screen Jumper." Looks like it has all the AV signals for the rear seat video, rear power outlet, and center console buttons for the rear heated seats.

In your case, doesn't seem like you would any of the connections on the black connector. Mine came with both plugs because I have the power inverter and rear heated seats.

·
Registered
'12 JGC 3.6L V6 4x4
54 Posts
The second black connector is labeled as the "Console Center/Seat Cushion Passenger/Video Screen Jumper." Looks like it has all the AV signals for the rear seat video, rear power outlet, and center console buttons for the rear heated seats.

In your case, doesn't seem like you would any of the connections on the black connector. Mine came with both plugs because I have the power inverter and rear heated seats.
Ah I have screenshots of both connectors back when I had a 1day subs. for the 2012s....under passenger seat, one does my airbags and power seats and other is heated seats I believe. Lemme see if I can find them.....I'll link them in this

Had the idea of running a wire between the "CAN IHS +" and "CAN IHS -" from the small plug in the photo that plugs into my auto HVAC to the CAN IHS +/- on the prongs on the heated seat plug under passenger seat to see what happens as I'm assuming those are the true connections

41 - 60 of 72 Posts