Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
After a quick search said:
For the parts I need, i checked SteveWhiteParts.com and found them to average 23% below MSRP and moparpartsoverstock 21% below MSRP

I've got to believe that both web stores need to make at least 15%-20% profit. That would suggest cost is in the range of 35%-40% of list price and likely more.

Perhaps dealers are paying more for parts and accessories than these web stores?

Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage

·
Registered
Black Summit
3,845 Posts
I think the dealers have a pretty heafty markup on stuff like that. The full 5 plate skid package from the factory is only a $295 option and that's for them to install and still includes a great profit for them. Its just stamped steel that they chernout by the 10s of thousands, shipping weight is probably the manufacturers biggest cost on it. That's why you got to laugh when you see some dealers charging $800 to buy and install the 5 plates for probably 20 minutes on the lift. I paid $420 shipped for all 5 and did them myself. There was a guy on here whose wife ran over a bit of highway road debris and sliced open one of those plastic gas tanks, that's one time to be glad you have them. I think those two big plastic gas tanks hanging there are the most vulnerable thing there on or off road.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thanks for the info silvermax04
We'll most likely be doing 9,999 on pavement miles for every off-road mile :) but i agree they're nice to have when you least expect it!
It would've been nice to add them for only $300 but i didnt see that option on the MY16 75th Anni Limited build.
Hopefully I'll get a fair deal from my dealer. Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage

·
Registered
6 Posts
Be advised, one of the transfer case skid plates does not fit the 2016 CRD, even though it is the part shown in Jeep's system for the 2016. Of the two pieces shown in the above picture, the larger one does not fit. The 2016 has a different bolt pattern. The smaller piece fits.

Now I have to solve this problem - unprotected transfer case. My dealer is looking into it to see if the wrong part # is in their parts system for the 2016. Note that these part #s aboce do fit the 2014 CRDs.
Did the dealer remove the donut damper from the transfer case skid plate before installing? With the Diesel engine grand Cherokee, the exhaust pipe has a damper that occupies the same space as the metal donut. Remove the metal donut, the transfer case plate should be able to mount on.

·
4WL TREK-er — so many trails, so little time
2016 JGC CRD
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Did the dealer remove the donut damper from the transfer case skid plate before installing? With the Diesel engine grand Cherokee, the exhaust pipe has a damper that occupies the same space as the metal donut. Remove the metal donut, the transfer case plate should be able to mount on.
Not sure if they removed that donut damper or not. I know they looked at the plate and where it bolts to, and they said the bolt pattern does not match. So it does not sound like that is the problem.

I had to reschedule the (third) fit inspection - it was supposed to be yesterday but I had a work conflict.

The parts manager had looked into the situation, and he said Jeep reports that nobody else is having this problem. And yet, I've been to the dealer twice and both times they said it doesn't fit. For the third inspection, the parts manager wants to be there to see for himself. Heck, I should just drive it up on my ramps and crawl under there to see for myself.

·
Registered
290 Posts
If memory serves, there is a specific pattern to which the skid plates are to be installed(dealer or in your driveway), and by not doing so correctly, it will cause the skid plates to not fit.

·
Registered
Jeep Grand Cherokee
302 Posts
Check us out at shieldproductions.com
WK2 - Front Sump Shield, Transmission Shield, Full Harness Protection/Def injector Shield and off road light Hood Mount Brackets.

·
2016 JGC CRD
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
This, exactly. Thanks. The install was completed the day before yesterday and they had to remove that damper to fit it. The damper looks and feels like a bigger, heavier hockey puck, and metal not hard rubber like a puck is. I kept the damper as a souvenir.

Thanks again, talonx. I now have a fully plated JGC. Finally!

·
2016 JGC CRD
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
I came across the paperwork for my skid plates (pictures of them are shown above in post #10 in this thread) and noticed that the actual names that Jeep uses for the 2 pieces of the transfer case skid plate are the fuel bundle skid plate, and the transfer case skid plate. In case anyone finds that helpful, I thought that was an odd name. And for the 2 pieces of the fuel tank skid plate, they are simply enough, left, and right.

So the five ORA-II skid plates have three part numbers:
► Front Axle Skid Plate, part # 82211995, $193.00 - 1 piece
► Fuel Tank Skid Plate, part # 82211999, $217.00 - 2 pieces, left and right
► Transfer Case Skid Plate, part # 82211994AB, $101.00 - 2 pieces, transfer case and fuel bundle skid plates

As for the damper, the hockey puck-like thing, I found an image that shows it. The image shows the 2 plates for the Transfer Case Skid Plate, part # 82211994AB. The transfer case skid plate is on the left, and the fuel bundle skid plate on the right. The damper, about 4" in diameter, is on the left edge of the fuel bundle skid plate:
ImageUploadedByJeepGarage1479218615.953485.jpg

(from link https://www.google.com/search?q=fue...UICCgC&biw=1024&bih=672#imgrc=wNIKwCambyOClM:)

Finally, in my pictures in post #10, my flip flops are there for scale. Here's a link to that post:
http://www.jeepgarage.org/f42/addin...th-jeeps-ora-ii-plates-97357.html#post1293836.

Sent from my iPad using JeepGarage

·
Registered
WK2 EcoDiesel 2016
148 Posts
I installed the skid plates myself on my 2016 CRD Wk2. When looking at your Jeep from the side do you see the fuel tank skids? Everything bolted pretty tight, but I get paranoid thinking it's sagging.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I have been trying to figure out how to purchase the skid plates in phases so after looking at the WK2 protection page

https://www.chiefproducts.com.au/pages/protection

and reading echo7tango posts, I decided to make a purchase of the mopor skid plates as phase one from Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram - Original Parts - SteveWhiteParts.com which appeared to have the best price. Once I get those installed I will move on to phase two of saving up for the additional 3rd party skid plates...

Thanks again echo7tango for the post!

·
Registered
GC diesel Limited
24 Posts
It was good information for transfer case skid plate. As I got Limited and all plastic underneath so looking different website all been said only gas engines for transfer case even new GC trailhawk has all these plates mentioned in this thread. So I will try to install them and let you know a results thanks

·
Registered
GC diesel Limited
24 Posts
Also anyone have install a Shield Productions their "WK2 Front Radiator Shield - Skid - Bash Plate Jeep Grand Cherokee / GC Trailhawk Models"

So my question has anyone a picture without front skirt (aerodynamic bumper )?
Please post a picture ?
Thanks

·
Registered
GC diesel Limited
24 Posts
I got installed all plate, well almost all, one more is coming soon for harness from Shield Products.
All plates fitted perfect on my Diesel.
Took some pictures.

Some clever solution for Radiator protection plate. Insert revits.

·
2016 JGC CRD
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Looking good so far, phlfly. You’re almost read for some serious trails.

When it’s completed can we get a picture of the front of your rig?

·
Registered
GC diesel Limited
24 Posts
Today installed last plate for harness and ad blue injector

Whole set up looks like this :

Also front recovery point from Ohio Diesel Parts LLC.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I was about to buy some skid plate from an auto wrecking yard, but I just realized that some a diesel specific. Bummer

·
2016 JGC CRD
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I was about to buy some skid plate from an auto wrecking yard, but I just realized that some a diesel specific. Bummer
Yeah, bummer, but better than buying them and then not getting your money back from the wrecking yard if they don’t fit, SteveO.

Oh, and that donut damper I kept? It’s pretty handy as a doorstop.

·
Registered
15' CRD Overland
3 Posts
Thanks to echo7tango for starting this thread. Its been very helpful as my JGC didnt come with skids either. Thought I would share what I decided to go with.

Found a company call ASFIR based out of Israel, asfir.com, who was well reviewed on other forums and makes skid plates for a wide variety of platforms. Based on reviews decided to purchase their front skid which arrived today. ~$400 usd, shipped.

Another thread here ASFIR Skid Plates

Pics below, hope to install this weekend.

PXL_20210219_175738331.jpg PXL_20210219_175746638.jpg PXL_20210219_175811852.jpg PXL_20210219_175757979.jpg

21 - 40 of 45 Posts