Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just looking for some opinions. My lease is coming up in a few weeks. The buyout on my 39month lease with US bank is about $24,000 (54% residual) and I have only 30,000 miles so far. My lease payment is $432 if that matters including taxes and fees with zero down.

I’m really torn and just looking for some advice or opinions. I’ve never bought an end of lease before. Never actually bought a car, only leased. I like the car but if I buy it I’d only want to keep it another 2-3 yrs then get on the next gen JGC and trade it in. If I return it I’ll probably got with a BMW or Volvo. If the next gen was out now I would stick with Jeep.

what do you guys think? What would you do?

·
Registered
2015 WK2 Overland
1,136 Posts
You don't mention trim level so that could be a decent deal. I've heard Volvos as of late have some terrible build quality. But they look soooo nice. You know the service history and how the Jeep was treated so it could be a good idea to purchase to hold over until the new one comes out.

·
Registered
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
229 Posts
Volvos=no thanks. What's your budget first off? I've only ever bought, just recently started leasing and it's all the same at the end of the day. The longer you wait to sell the JGC the more depreciation it will have and if anything happens to it there's more money gone. Additionally, can you honestly afford a BMW? Not too many out there with the same monthly payments you have now unless you want to put thousands of cash down which I would never do on a lease.
  • If you keep the JGC, refinance it under you own bank and as long as interest rates between the loan terms are the same or similar then get the longest one. You can always pay more monthly but it gives you more flexibility. You can always trade it in regardless.
  • Or if you're really over it and have better income/stability than you did three yrs ago then get whatever you want. Just don't forget about your insurance increasing which it will most definitely will based on what you want.

·
Registered
2018 GC HA
597 Posts
$24,000 is basically in line with trade in value according to KBB. If you decide to buy you're definitely not getting a bad deal.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Not knowing exactly what options you have, Edmunds online appraisal tool puts trade in $20,000 so there doesn’t appear to be an upside.

I would wait a couple model years before jumping into a new JCC platform.

I like the looks of Volvos on the outside but the interiors are too austere for my taste and the horrid screeching I heard from what looked like a 1 year old XC60 would turn me off.

BMWs lease well and would tide you over until thenew JGC platform gets the bugs worked out.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks appreciate everyone’s opinions.

I have the 2016 Limited 75th. I have the base package which has standard Nav, Sunroof and Blindspot. Edmunds and KBB both say the 24k residual is close to market and the private market may be higher mostly given the low mileage. Car is in excellent condition no issues and no damage.

I can afford the BMW and will pay cash if I decide to buy out the Jeep.

·
Registered
JGC
73 Posts
Stick with your JGC and get a 3 year Mopar Added Care Plus (no reason for Maxcare as you don't have the QL). Having leased 3 BMW's, they're nice, but the cost doesn't make sense vs. buying yours for cash at $24K. You'll pay far more for the BMW lease over 3 years than your JGC will depreciate. The low lease price you see on the BMW lease ads are not likely one you'd be happy with. Once you add a couple of optional groups, the price goes up fast. But, prior to buying yours for the $24K, check Craigslist, dealers, etc. to see if their isn't a better deal out there for same or less money. If not, that will reinforce you're getting a good deal. Also, as one poster stated, you know your vehicle maintenance history and will not know everything about another JGC you find for around that price. Good luck in your purchase and/or lease.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks man. Great advice. I hear you on the BMW prices I’ve done some shopping and am comfortable on the lease pricing I can get with the options I want. But yea it’s a lot more than what I’m paying now. The market for a 2016 JGCL is around $27k where I live it seems based on all the research I’ve done. There weren’t many 75th maybe I can squeeze some more $ out of it.

I think your right. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just looking for some opinions. My lease is coming up in a few weeks. The buyout on my 39month lease with US bank is about $24,000 (54% residual) and I have only 30,000 miles so far. My lease payment is $432 if that matters including taxes and fees with zero down.

I’m really torn and just looking for some advice or opinions. I’ve never bought an end of lease before. Never actually bought a car, only leased. I like the car but if I buy it I’d only want to keep it another 2-3 yrs then get on the next gen JGC and trade it in. If I return it I’ll probably got with a BMW or Volvo. If the next gen was out now I would stick with Jeep.

I'm in Florida USA and that vehicle is averaging between$24K-$30k using your data. Your payments seem a little high but I don't know your personal issues that the seller used to evaluate you with.

·
Registered
101 Posts

Dude if you really love WK2 then you should return it and get a new one.

I have seen Jeep ran year end rebate around $5500+ last year. That's now include dealer discount.

Let's say for a 2019 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk with MSRP $50000, your purchase price is $50000-$5500-$8000=$36500 Before Tax and document fee.

Go get a new one.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Have you looked into selling the Grand Cherokee to Carvana? They made me a great offer on my 2018, which still had 14 months left on my lease. The dealer met the quote and I was able to get into what I really had my eye on, a Wrangler.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Have you looked into selling the Grand Cherokee to Carvana? They made me a great offer on my 2018, which still had 14 months left on my lease. The dealer met the quote and I was able to get into what I really had my eye on, a Wrangler.
I did they quoted me around $24,500 as did vroom and the other one

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dude if you really love WK2 then you should return it and get a new one.

I have seen Jeep ran year end rebate around $5500+ last year. That's now include dealer discount.

Let's say for a 2019 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk with MSRP $50000, your purchase price is $50000-$5500-$8000=$36500 Before Tax and document fee.

Go get a new one.
This is my second WK2 JGC first one in 2014. I just can’t bring myself to lease another one which is basically exactly the same as the last two I’ve had. I did talk to the dealer about a Limited X but I wasn’t getting a great price on it so moved in.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I’m turning in my ‘16 limited 4x4 75th with lux package tomorrow and getting a ‘19 4x4 high altitude with Harmon kardon. Payment is lower by 16 cents. $0 down. Trade in value on mine is $22k. Residual/buy out $24,880. Definitely not worth buying. Dealer didn’t even want it. I would get rid of yours and either lease a new one or lease something else. Great deals to be had right now. MSRP on HA is $54,300 and my capitalized cost is $39,800 with rebates and dealer discount.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts