Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was unlucky and ran over a nail. It is on the shoulder and too close to the sidewall for repair (tried two shops). I have the 265/50/20 Bridgestone Ecopia's.

My tires have 25,000 miles on them and still have good tread left. I have been reading that it is best to switch all 4 tires at the same time due to the 4x4/AWD system. Is this really necessary? Can I just buy a new tire (the same exact tire) and then replace the other 3 in a year or so? I'm not sure what I should do. Any advice would be great!

Thanks

·
Registered
260 Posts
Buy 1.... put it on rear...jack up that side....do burn out til tread matches others !!!!!!

Seriously, I like to replace all tires at once unless they have minimal miles. 25k to me is a little too much. Especially when you said you would replace the other 3 in a year or so. Why not just do all 4 ? Of course everyone has their own unique situation in life so if 1 is all you can do now then do it. You will just have the large milage difference between them. I don't see how the one tire could affect anything mechanically.

·
Premium Member
2,178 Posts
The manual just says to replace the fronts and rears as pairs. In contrast, our Outback has a specific wear spec, below which all four have to be replaced.

·
Registered
Overland 4x4
24 Posts
x2 on looking for a used tire with similar tread depth. You’ll save money now, and then when they all wear down buy all 4 new tires instead of 3 in a year..

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Super Moderator
9,954 Posts
I would probably look for a used tire with similar tread life remaining in this particular case...and then, as you say, replace all four together when "it's time".

·
Registered
2014 Summit 5.7 4wd 20" tires swapped to 18", added all skid plates
2,556 Posts
I was unlucky and ran over a nail. It is on the shoulder and too close to the sidewall for repair (tried two shops). I have the 265/50/20 Bridgestone Ecopia's.

My tires have 25,000 miles on them and still have good tread left. I have been reading that it is best to switch all 4 tires at the same time due to the 4x4/AWD system. Is this really necessary? Can I just buy a new tire (the same exact tire) and then replace the other 3 in a year or so? I'm not sure what I should do. Any advice would be great!

Thanks
Depends on where you live of course but I have found that it's not too hard to sell decent used tires. So..... at 25,000 miles you are right at the point where those tires should still look pretty decent as used tires go so you ought to be able to sell them. And then apply that against what you'll spend for 4 new tires now rather than finding a used tire, paying for shipping, mounting and balancing, and hoping it's really a good tire and not some lemon someone got rid of cuz they could never get it to balance. And then in a year buying a new set of tires anyway.

·
Super Moderator
9,954 Posts
That's a good point that Jimntempe makes... ;)

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Well he's only got 3 good tires. So he'd have to probably sell them individually. It really depends if he wants to pay for new tire now or just get one matching used one.

The vendor OP linked to has outstanding feedback and free shipping.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for your advice everyone. I ordered a used tire from eBay for $80 with free shipping. This should get me through the summer/fall and then I will get 4 new tires for winter.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I got the eBay tire installed. The eBay tire ($80 Bridgestone ecopia) had a patch in it, but is holding air and overall I am pretty pleased with it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts