Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
FCA has release another AEM Patch for the Grand Cherokee yesterday.
I was told by the lawyers that are apart of the Eco Diesel lawsuit.
The update is to address the issue on the jeeps that are over regening.
It's also suppose to help customers that are seeing the dreaded regen message on the dash every 100 -300 miles.
The FCA is mailing out letters next week to all the customers.
I was also told that the software has been released to all the dealers already. So the dealer can't say I don't have the update available yet this time!
I don't recall the program name, but I'll reach back out to the lawyers.

Just letting everyone know that there is something coming out around the corner.

·
Registered
2016 WK2 Summit EcoD
209 Posts
Man, my wife just had the second update done a few weeks back!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Wonder if warranty gets extended?
Might own this Jeep lifetime. LOL

Reactions: sesmith72

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
605 Posts
Interesting. I'm sure my dealer will feign ignorance right up until I put the recall letter on their desk.

I just got the second update a month or two ago. Just recently got enough miles on it for all the relearn cycles to finish.

It seems ok, but my big complaint is still there: lurching on gentle uphill acceleration during upshifts when within 5 minutes of initial engine start after sitting several hours. Seems like overboost, dump, and transmission stutter as a result. Really seems like a programming issue to me.

Maybe third time will be the charm and that will get fixed this time.

Reactions: sesmith72

·
Registered
28 Posts
How many chances do they get to get this correct before the attorneys step back in and force their hand to do more.

It’s clear that they can’t get the cars to perform to the same specs with the new emissions programming.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Interesting. I'm sure my dealer will feign ignorance right up until I put the recall letter on their desk.

I just got the second update a month or two ago. Just recently got enough miles on it for all the relearn cycles to finish.

It seems ok, but my big complaint is still there: lurching on gentle uphill acceleration during upshifts when within 5 minutes of initial engine start after sitting several hours. Seems like overboost, dump, and transmission stutter as a result. Really seems like a programming issue to me.

Maybe third time will be the charm and that will get fixed this time.
Have you tried removing the battery neg cable for 30 minutes? Don't cost a thing and it fixed some of my transmission issues I was experiencing a few years back.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Chadg2: Did you have the AEM and aren't you having the same hesitation and sloppy shift issue when cold the initial 5 min like me and Akinny and so many more.. And if so, did disconnecting the battery fix that?

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I doubt I would let them touch it again past the original AEM. Would also like to see and hear what this 3rd version does to mileage and performance.
If your vehicle goes in for unrelated services, are these 2 supplementary updates mandatory, or only if you "Request" them?

·
Registered
888 Posts
Chadg2: Did you have the AEM and aren't you having the same hesitation and sloppy shift issue when cold the initial 5 min like me and Akinny and so many more.. And if so, did disconnecting the battery fix that?
NO AEM. Still Pre-AEM. Original GDE Hot Tune with Transmission Tune as well. Holding out as long as I can. Removing cable only reset shift pattern and relearned how I drive.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I doubt I would let them touch it again past the original AEM. Would also like to see and hear what this 3rd version does to mileage and performance.
If your vehicle goes in for unrelated services, are these 2 supplementary updates mandatory, or only if you "Request" them?
Good point and a good question. I really don't want to have to try to micromanage what updates I get or don't get at the dealership. Software/firmware updates to all vehicles has become a huge mess in many ways, and will grow to get more complicated as time passes. I suspect more and more court battles as time passes, and I'm not just referring to the EcoDiesel fiasco.

For sure the multitude of micro controllers in our vehicles has provided a ton of benefits as the years have gone by, but I'm starting to like my 40+ year old cars more and more every day.

Reactions: bigmaho

·
Registered
764 Posts
It would be nice if FCA would tell us what AEM #3 is suppose to resolve. I would like that lurching and sloppy upshifting and wastegate dumping when cold resolved. It is such a weird noise when this happens.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Just looked at my Mopar owners page and it shows the W41 for me that needs to be done. But when you click on the W41 to open the PDF there is nothing there. Anyone see what it is?

·
Registered
2014 Grand Cheroker Overland ATG ORAII
1,357 Posts
Hey Michael
Same thing here.....W41 with an Adobe pdf associated with it but no documentation pops up.
We are off on a road trip next weekend, so I will not do anything until we get back.

Reactions: mbaessler

·
Registered
4x4 Summit
22 Posts
After the most recent AEM update (about a month ago) I had the check engine light keep coming on. Back to local dealer 3 times, they finally keep the GC for 1 week and put me in a loner car (Jeep Renegade - not impressed). Dealer working with FCA decided to put in a new ECM. Check eng light has stopped but still having frequent regens AND now sometimes the air-conditioner gets stuck in low fan speed, have to turn AC off then on to get high fan back. Never had an AC issue until the ECM replacement. Used to love my GC, still trying to love it but it's getting harder.

·
Registered
JGC Overland
306 Posts
I know for a fact that my dealer IMMEDIATELY plugs in their wireless dongle and runs the vehicle for recalls and updates and installs them with or without my permission. Yes, I could stop them I suppose, but it's not been an issue so far. The important point I'm making is I would never assume or trust that they won't overwrite the existing tune...even if you instruct them not to.

Some dealers seem to be really good about this, others not at all. So until you KNOW...don't trust or assume.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Well that's what I'm worried about . I'd rather deal with the devil I know... If something is installed that you do not like, I'd bet it is impossible to get back to where you were....Especially as far as "updates" go....

·
Registered
628 Posts
Assuming the third time is the charm, this is good news. I was trying to decide if I should bring it in again for the regen issue. I know there have been at least 3 regen messages in the whopping 900 miles we've driven since the shutdowns in March and I do drive on the freeway long enough for the regens to complete.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I would love to see the cold shifting issue addressed. It seems to put a lot of stress on the system when it happens. Lurching, funny noise and losing power momentarily. After 150 deg oil temp it is all well. Like a different machine.

·
Registered
2014 Grand Cheroker Overland ATG ORAII
1,357 Posts
As far as the latest AEM update goes (W41). I just tried my VIN in my Jeep account, the FCA Recall page and on the FCA EcoDiesel AEM page.
On all three...it just chunders along showing large expanding dots and takes ages to load.....and then "Page not found" or you see W41 and nothing loads!!
Great software.....!!!!

1 - 20 of 60 Posts