Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading hours of threads without a conclusion, I’m reaching out to the community for a little direction. I have both the “pre-EPA/CARB” GDE Hot Tune ECU and GDE Trans Tune. A few months back, I purchased a new stock ECU for the sole purpose of having the dealer install the AEM update so I could preserve my GDE tuned ECU.

Prior to the actual AEM installation by the dealer, I installed the new stock ECU and also re-flashed my trans tune back to stock. The AEM update was installed by the dealer a week ago. I now plan on reinstalling the GDE Hot Tune ECU and then re-flashing the TCU with the original GDE Trans Tune. Has anyone done both of these before? I’m seeing conflicting reports on the forums and have never read where someone was attempting to reinstall both the original GDE ECU and restore the original GDE Trans Tune. I’m guessing the GDE ECU should be a slam dunk, however I’m not too sure about trans tune.

Thanks in advance for any help, clarification or guidance.

·
Vendor
139 Posts
If the dealer changed the software on the transmission, then the old GDE trans tune will not load due to mismatch. You can try to install, it will tell you if it cannot complete your request

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm also in the same situation. Also wondering if I get the updated GDE trans tune, can I then swap in the old GDE ECU and will it work with the new trans tune?

·
Registered
2015 WK2 3L Overland
345 Posts
I'm also in the same situation. Also wondering if I get the updated GDE trans tune, can I then swap in the old GDE ECU and will it work with the new trans tune?
+1.

Have a spare ECU with pre-AEM stock tune on it. If I get the AEM, then the GDE update package on this ECU, can I drop the old GDE ECU in with the updated trans tune?

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I believe GDE's new tunes are a package deal, so you'll also be paying for the EPA approved ECM tune.

·
Registered
2015 WK2 3L Overland
345 Posts
I believe GDE's new tunes are a package deal, so you'll also be paying for the EPA approved ECM tune.
I think the question is:

I bought both the engine and trans tune before the EPA crackdown and am still running both today. I have a spare stock ECU, and have not yet had the AEM applied. After I get the AEM on my spare ECU and purchase the update package from GDE, will the new EPA trans tune play nice if I swapped in my original, pre-EPA GDE ECU?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm in the same spot as MBDiesel. I have a spare ECM to get the AEM done. If I get the GDE updated tune with updated trans tune on the spare ECM after the AEM, then swap the old GDE ECM back in, will everything play nice?

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I'm in the same spot as MBDiesel. I have a spare ECM to get the AEM done. If I get the GDE updated tune with updated trans tune on the spare ECM after the AEM, then swap the old GDE ECM back in, will everything play nice?
Why would you? You have a current ECM tune with the ability to revert to stock at will with the programmer.

If it's just a trans tune you want to go with the old GDE ECM, look to the Canadian suppliers.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm happy with the GDE tunes but am hesitant to have the EGR running again. The AEM is enough incentive to update but if I can swap my old GDE tune afterwards, then I think it will be worth running over the new tune.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
The egr being active is really of no signifigance once the injection cycles are cleaned up. The extended regen frequency supports this.

I'd trust GDE's new tune for both performance and longevity.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Still praying to his Holy Noodliness for a GDE CARB-approved tune package before Fall...

Reactions: jcaligp

·
Registered
187 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
You shouldn't get excited over the potential of any aftermarket product coming to that state.
Yeah, I know, but they said they were working on it and I'd much rather get my old tune back then have to shell out for a whole new one from up North...

Reactions: Bounty Hunter

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Yeah, I know, but they said they were working on it and I'd much rather get my old tune back then have to shell out for a whole new one from up North...
I agree. Not sure where they're at with CARB compared to already obtaining EPA certification. They might have a goldmine once CA approved.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts