Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 20 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Got a letter from FCA today that sounds like there is an update the the original AEM.
Yup, a one pager, without any context, header says 'Approved Emissions Modification Disclosure 3.0L Diesel"; 4 paragraphs. The most important one is #2 Key Vehicle Attributes. It talks about how the May 2019 AEM caused a slight hesitation during the first 5 mins of driving, and was reported by a small percentage. An updated AEM has been released and now approved in December 2019 by EPA and Califnria's Air REsources Board'.

So looks like there's an updated AEM available, but unsure if people will be notified by Jeep to have it installed.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Got a letter from FCA today that sounds like there is an update the the original AEM.
I also received the same letter. I had completed all the paperwork for the AEM and brought my GC to dealership and had the modifications installed on Jul 23, 2019. On Nov 19, 2019 i received a notification that the modifications had not been installed. Went back to dealership and was told that they had to do it again as a result of an update. Was advised by a service rep that several customers had complained about performance after the AEM. I then went online to see what others were saying and confirmed what the rep had told me. Decided not to sacrifice performance for 3K$. This current notice acknowledges that the May, 2019 version caused reduction in performance but it says that the the revision released in Dec, 2019 has corrected that problem.
Has anyone had the AEM performed with the latest version and has it affected the performance?

·
Registered
716 Posts
Got the letter also. Look forward to getting the update. Sameone on the RAM site had a FCA table that said the VA7 which it is called is available Jan 30. Hopefully we will get more info.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Got the same letter today. Still waiting on the 2nd payment of $900, which is what I thought was in the letter. No opening dialogue just what was mentioned. Had to read it a couple of times to understand it was an Dec-2019 update to the original AEM. Not sure if I am going to pull the trigger yet. I will need to see how satisfied others are.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Glad to see there may be some movement. Went to the dealer last week who did not yet know anything about a fix to the AEM. Can anyone share more details I could take to them? Happy to be a guinea pig here for getting it done. Bought 15 with 23k used a month ago and was about to trade it in again for lack of drivability, so I’ll try anything.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Curious why anyone wouldn't get it done. Not trying to be a smart ass, but as we all know the aem changed the drive quality and it's horrible. Why not get this one done?

·
Registered
716 Posts
I'm going to do it. A lot of time engineering also has other fixes buried in the update. I just wish they would communicate the contents of the update and what it fixes.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Not to be a devils advocate, but what if it drops your mileage even further? Or drinks DEF a gallon a week? I wouldn't agree to it unless the dealer/FCA agreed I could go back if I desired at no charge in writing....Or if other brave souls/guinea pigs truly attest that it is better in all ways.... Remember the V08 was supposed to be tested and vetted too, and was advertised to not be detrimental...

·
Registered
134 Posts
Not to be a devils advocate, but what if it drops your mileage even further? Or drinks DEF a gallon a week? I wouldn't agree to it unless the dealer/FCA agreed I could go back if I desired at no charge in writing....Or if other brave souls/guinea pigs truly attest that it is better in all ways....
Fair enough. I'm not sure the PR nightmare would be worth it, as I assume there is always a pilot group. Either way, I think is an obvious response to the AEM as stated in the letter, and likely we'll see more as more miles are driven. Im going to make my appt tomorrow as I need an inspection anyway. I welcome any change to my current.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Were not sure this will be automatically flashed as some are not having problems with the original AEM. Can anyone confirm this will replace V08 if never been in for the AEM update?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Are some of you assuming that if the AEM has already been performed on your vehicle they will do it again with the improved version? I don't expect an improvement in performance, although that would be nice, but I do not want a degradation so until I know more, I'll keep watching. I will go talk to my dealer next week to see if they know anything about this new improvement. I really like my JGC and have no intention of getting rid of it.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have the AEM completed, and have the awful lag time on pedal half of my trip to work. I am hoping this resolves that, as I'm surprised they even brought it up in the letter. Like others, I received my letter today.

·
Registered
584 Posts
When I had the original AEM done back last May, the dealer told me there was another one coming down the pipe.

Got the letter yesterday and will probably do this at some point.
NEW AEM LETTER FROM FCA 1-16-2020.jpg

·
Registered
17 Posts
When I had the original AEM done back last May, the dealer told me there was another one coming down the pipe.

Got the letter yesterday and will probably do this at some point.
View attachment 221509
Thank you for posting the letter. I purchased my ED late last summer and it already had the first AEM done. Unsure if I'll receive this letter or not.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Thank you for posting the letter. I purchased my ED late last summer and it already had the first AEM done. Unsure if I'll receive this letter or not.
I'm sure you will. Not really sure if this is just a notice and some sort of TSB will follow. I'll probably call my dealer and see what is needed to get this done.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I'm sure you will. Not really sure if this is just a notice and some sort of TSB will follow. I'll probably call my dealer and see what is needed to get this done.
Here is a quote from my service manager.
"they reference it as a RRT Rapid Response Transmittal",
They do not have the download yet.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Is it just me or does that paragraph #2 seem like its contradicting itself..... "With the Old AEM people have reported lag in the 1st 5 min but after the NEW update you may have to push the pedal harder for a short period of time to reduce hesitation or lag.." HUH?

Also is this a mandatory application (Like you will get it no matter what if you go to the dealer for any reason?), or just another supposed fix for those who wish to entertain it....?

1 - 20 of 140 Posts