Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2015 JGC without the Quadra lift.

I plan to install either the Air Lift bags or the Firestone Coil Rite bags in the rear coil springs.

I tow a travel trailer and would like to level the JGC rear using them.

I do have a weight distribution hitch I use but still a bit of sag in the rear.

I'm not overloaded, just the way it is.

Figure it might also help the handling somewhat when towing.

Which did you install and why?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Most Jeeps come stock with the adjustable rear shocks with the tow package. Basically, as the vehicle bounces, the shock levels out the back. I used to have those, but replaced my suspension with stock SRT springs and bilstein shocks. That said, I do tow and added the air lift 1000 bags in my two rear coils. I have used these in my 05 Jeep too. As for my 2015 JC I had to get a shorter bag since the spring are shorter, so purchased the kit for the Sienna van. Basically, the bag is 1 Inch shorter. But long story short, yes, order teh airlift or firestone. They are the same.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Most Jeeps come stock with the adjustable rear shocks with the tow package. Basically, as the vehicle bounces, the shock levels out the back. I used to have those, but replaced my suspension with stock SRT springs and bilstein shocks. That said, I do tow and added the air lift 1000 bags in my two rear coils. I have used these in my 05 Jeep too. As for my 2015 JC I had to get a shorter bag since the spring are shorter, so purchased the kit for the Sienna van. Basically, the bag is 1 Inch shorter. But long story short, yes, order teh airlift or firestone. They are the same.
Thanks for the info. I do have the self leveling shocks but with approx. 600 lbs. of tongue weight and a weight distribution hitch it doesn't seem to level out no matter how many miles of driving I do when towing.

Look like both the Firestone & Airlift both have a limited lifetime warranty.

I asked both companies on their websites if each air bag had a separate Schrader valve so I could inflate each one separately.

Got a quick response from Firestone saying yes and after 5 days I still haven't heard from Airlift customer support.

That probably will help me decide because of the lack of response from Airlift.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I tow a 6,500# trailer with between 600 & 750# tongue weight. I use a Reese DualCam WD/sway control setup. When the entire system is set up right, I get very little sag in the back of my GC. On the 2014 Summit I had, it took some work to get everything set up the first time, but after that it was essentially plug and play each time I hooked up. With the new Overland I just got, I'll dedicate a couple hours tomorrow to see if I need to change anything, the Overland seems to ride higher than the Summit in Aero mode. But when set up, my rear shocks do very little additional lifting.

One trick I was taught maybe 15 years ago when I was towing with a BMW X5 that had self leveling rear air bags- put the vehicle in jack mode so the rear suspension does NOT pump up while hooking up the trailer and WD. Get everything set up the first time like this so the tow vehicle and trailer are leveled out. Then let the suspension pump up. Should take very little air at this point.

My point is that I've towed with WD systems for 30+ years and while it can take a couple tries to get everything set the first time, after that everything should be pretty darn level. What spring bars are you using? With more than 600# of tongue weight, you also need to add in the weight of whatever is in the back of the Jeep since that also contributes to tongue weight sag. The Jeep TW rating is in part based on what the rear of the vehicle can support, or what the rear shocks can pump up safely. So let's say you have 600# tongue weight and 150# of luggage, you essentially have a #750 TW pushing down on the rear of the Jeep. You'd need spring bars in the 800-1,000 range. I have both 750# and 1,000# bars and decide which to use based on what's in the trailer- when the Miata race car is in, with the front engine ahead of the axles I have more tongue weight and use the 1,000 bars. With the 911 rear engine race car, more weight is behind the trailer axles and my tongue weight is lower so I use the 750 bars. I don't think my rear air suspension has to lift much more than 1/4" at the most.

If your rear self leveling suspension isn't self leveling, I'd think either the WD isn't set up correctly, or you actually have more tongue weight than you think. (My tongue weights are actually measured, not estimated.) Or like most people, luggage and other belongings in the tail of the Jeep aren't being considered in the overall equation.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I tow a 6,500# trailer with between 600 & 750# tongue weight. I use a Reese DualCam WD/sway control setup. When the entire system is set up right, I get very little sag in the back of my GC. On the 2014 Summit I had, it took some work to get everything set up the first time, but after that it was essentially plug and play each time I hooked up. With the new Overland I just got, I'll dedicate a couple hours tomorrow to see if I need to change anything, the Overland seems to ride higher than the Summit in Aero mode. But when set up, my rear shocks do very little additional lifting.

One trick I was taught maybe 15 years ago when I was towing with a BMW X5 that had self leveling rear air bags- put the vehicle in jack mode so the rear suspension does NOT pump up while hooking up the trailer and WD. Get everything set up the first time like this so the tow vehicle and trailer are leveled out. Then let the suspension pump up. Should take very little air at this point.

My point is that I've towed with WD systems for 30+ years and while it can take a couple tries to get everything set the first time, after that everything should be pretty darn level. What spring bars are you using? With more than 600# of tongue weight, you also need to add in the weight of whatever is in the back of the Jeep since that also contributes to tongue weight sag. The Jeep TW rating is in part based on what the rear of the vehicle can support, or what the rear shocks can pump up safely. So let's say you have 600# tongue weight and 150# of luggage, you essentially have a #750 TW pushing down on the rear of the Jeep. You'd need spring bars in the 800-1,000 range. I have both 750# and 1,000# bars and decide which to use based on what's in the trailer- when the Miata race car is in, with the front engine ahead of the axles I have more tongue weight and use the 1,000 bars. With the 911 rear engine race car, more weight is behind the trailer axles and my tongue weight is lower so I use the 750 bars. I don't think my rear air suspension has to lift much more than 1/4" at the most.

If your rear self leveling suspension isn't self leveling, I'd think either the WD isn't set up correctly, or you actually have more tongue weight than you think. (My tongue weights are actually measured, not estimated.) Or like most people, luggage and other belongings in the tail of the Jeep aren't being considered in the overall equation.
Not sure if I am reading correctly but it sounds like you have the Quadra lift suspension. ?? (Aero Mode).

I have the stock suspension with the towing package.

I have towed over 8000 miles with no issues with sway, etc.

The trailer tongue is set with a slight nose down when the WDH is attached as suggested by almost everyone.

I have a tongue weight scale (Shurline) and the tongue weight measures 580#, about 11% of my trailer weight when loaded, 10-15% is recommended.

I travel with about 15# in the cargo area.

WDH is a Husky Centerline TS with the 600-800.lb bars and sway control.

The next step up is 800-1000 lb. bars which seems to be overkill.

The JGC sits just slightly lower than level in the rear with the WDH attached.

I may try and move the sway control perches up that the spring bars ride on to get more tension with the bars.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts