Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just left the dealer and was told that my GC Summit with only 6389 miles on it needs a compressor . I heard a weird grinding noise when starting it and it would not get out of entry exit mode. A check air suspension notice flashed on the screen for a second only and it never came back. I drove the GC because I had to get to an appointment about 8 miles away. After I left which was about an hour the GC started perfectly. I stopped at a grocery store but it would not get out of aero mode. After shopping I get in and started up and every5hing was back to normal. The service manager plunged in and checked to see the flashed notice and read it and checked on his computer to verify. It needs a relay switch, compressor and fuse. Will be scheduled next week after the parts arrive. They have the nitrogen to refill the system available.
i was so surprised to see this problem at such a low mileage. The warranty will cover all costs. I’m glad that the GC is leased. But I guess the problem is fixed for the near the future or the next owner.

·
Registered
GC Trailhawk
1,162 Posts
So sorry to hear about that problem. It's what scares me about mine.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Had a similar QL message once which lasted a second or so. An OH SH__ moment!
That was about a few hundred miles ago and it never happened again with everything still working as intended.
So far.

The QL system is my only lingering concern with my WK2 TH.
Sometimes wish i would of bought a Cherokee TrailHawk with the V6 option instead....less things to break.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Another family member has a GC Summit also with 11,116 miles on it and no problems at all. Seems I was the lucky one. Both came from different dealers. We both love the V8 and the air suspension. I only miss the front tow hooks!

·
Registered
2019 WK2 Trailhawk 5.7
16 Posts
Did they change compressor?
Just got exactly the same situation on 2019 WK2 Trailhawk with 12k miles on it. Grinding noise first, then stuck in Entry/Exit mode.
Nearby dealership told me over phone that the nearest available spot for appointment is February. Trying to call out others around to get closer date.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
S
Did they change compressor?
Just got exactly the same situation on 2019 WK2 Trailhawk with 12k miles on it. Grinding noise first, then stuck in Entry/Exit mode.
Nearby dealership told me over phone that the nearest available spot for appointment is February. Trying to call out others around to get closer date.
Sounds very similar to my problem. Mine was stuck in Entry/Exit mode also. I called and was told to pull over , stop the Jeep and then re-start. I couldn’t take the chance that the problem would only worsen so I had to get to my appointment.When I left, GC started right up and acted normal. The next day I heard the slight grinding noise again. The screen had a momentary flash on the screen with a message but it was gone in seconds. The service manager got into the screen and recorded the message. It took wait time for the dealer to get the parts. The wait was for the relay switch. The job was quick and have had no problems since.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
S

Sounds very similar to my problem. Mine was stuck in Entry/Exit mode also. I called and was told to pull over , stop the Jeep and then re-start. I couldn’t take the chance that the problem would only worsen so I had to get to my appointment.When I left, GC started right up and acted normal. The next day I heard the slight grinding noise again. The screen had a momentary flash on the screen with a message but it was gone in seconds. The service manager got into the screen and recorded the message. It took wait time for the dealer to get the parts. The wait was for the relay switch. The job was quick and have had no problems since.
All parts were replaced, compressor, relay switch and fuse.

·
Registered
2019 WK2 Trailhawk 5.7
16 Posts
All parts were replaced, compressor, relay switch and fuse.
Just dropped mine at the dealership. Had to make a picture of the message on dash panel though.
So to get there I've started the car again - everything seemed normal until I've started driving it. After reaching above 20 mph - the system began an attempt to lift the car (that "suspension-goes-UP" light started blinking in upper right corner of the display panel). Nothing actually happen though (e.g no noise from compressor or lifting). That light was blinking all the way to the dealership.
When was dropping off the car asked for a loaner - got "nothing available" in response. Neither Uber/Lift offered to get to home or work (great job on service Chrysler :mad:). That was not the original dealership where I've purchased my car, but the one which is closest to my home. Or actually the second closest, the closest one told me that the nearest appointment window to "take a look" will be in February. Guess that is what you get buying from FCA (they better learn from BMW)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just dropped mine at the dealership. Had to make a picture of the message on dash panel though.
So to get there I've started the car again - everything seemed normal until I've started driving it. After reaching above 20 mph - the system began an attempt to lift the car (that "suspension-goes-UP" light started blinking in upper right corner of the display panel). Nothing actually happen though (e.g no noise from compressor or lifting). That light was blinking all the way to the dealership.
When was dropping off the car asked for a loaner - got "nothing available" in response. Neither Uber/Lift offered to get to home or work (great job on service Chrysler :mad:). That was not the original dealership where I've purchased my car, but the one which is closest to my home. Or actually the second closest, the closest one told me that the nearest appointment window to "take a look" will be in February. Guess that is what you get buying from FCA (they better learn from BMW)
Did you get your a Jeep back yet? Is it working O.K,? How long did the work take? I can’t believe there was no loner available Since you scheduled and they knew you were coming ,why no loner. I don’t care if it is not the original dealer but they should honor the warranty for which they are getting compensated. If it were me I would call MOPAR and complain.
many years ago
I had a Ford product that was in for service and the Service Manager did not want to replace a part (A clutch that was worn) He was rude to me. I called Ford and complained about the service department and was given a return call to get the part installed. The Manager apologized and then turned away and said that they won’t get their year award because of my call. I replied that it was his fault not mine. After that I was treated very well.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Good you took a pic of that blinking light at least 'they' can't argue that.
Progressive time frame pics might of even been better if you didn't do that already.
If you get no satisfaction from the dealerships contact 'Jeep Cares' here.
Maybe they can expedite the service.

·
Registered
2017 GC Trailhawk
108 Posts
Based on the number of forum posts about the air suspension, would it be wise to disable entry/exit mode?

·
Registered
2014 Summit 5.7 4wd 20" tires swapped to 18", added all skid plates
1,793 Posts
Based on the number of forum posts about the air suspension, would it be wise to disable entry/exit mode?
I considered that question myself. Since I have lifetime maxcare I decided to leave it turned on and get the convenience of the lower entry/exit height. Besides, it's always going up and down several times on trips as it goes in and out of aero mode.

·
Registered
2015 WK2 Overland
1,517 Posts
It's constantly monitoring suspension height and adjusting so turning off entry/exit would save minimal wear on the compressor. And as @jimntempe stated when you go over 55 it's going to cycle regardless.

·
Registered
2018 GC HA
629 Posts
I would say that this is more of an indicator to make sure you are covered by Maximum Care once your warranty is up, rather than not being able to use the features as intended.

·
Registered
2017 GC Trailhawk
108 Posts
I would say that this is more of an indicator to make sure you are covered by Maximum Care once your warranty is up, rather than not being able to use the features as intended.
I purchased max care when I got the vehicle, just trying to minimize my trips to the dealer.

·
Registered
2019 WK2 Trailhawk 5.7
16 Posts
Did you get your a Jeep back yet? Is it working O.K,? How long did the work take? I can’t believe there was no loner available Since you scheduled and they knew you were coming ,why no loner. I don’t care if it is not the original dealer but they should honor the warranty for which they are getting compensated. If it were me I would call MOPAR and complain.
Sorry for long delay in reply, was on business trip in Europe.
My friend did pickup a car form dealership for me. I just cam back and had no chance to drive the car yet.
But response from dealership was hilarious, more on this later...

First I want to explain that I did not get my car brand new, I've got it CPO after 7 months long corporate lease with only 12k miles on it.
The car was leased to some employee at Lapeer Road Marshaling Center in Michigan, then sold over auction to a dealership in Massachusetts (where I live). By documents - does not seem to be a loaner car, but very maybe..

I was looking for a very specific package and color mildly used, deliberately did not want to buy brand new GC (first year depreciation for GC is too steep, just compare to 4Runner).
I've spotted it on sale by a dealership that is 50 miles away from my home few days before it was delivered from auction. Asked a sales department to call me back when it arrives. I showed up the same day, they did not even had a chance to clean the car. All the bottom was caked in mud, some guard plates (e.g. under gas tank) little rusty.

But the biggest suspicion was air suspension that did not work at the time - rear was all the way up and front was all the way down.
Sales guy (after talking to some other guys in dealership) told me that it must be some sort of special "transport mode" to allows vehicles to stack-up better when they loaded on trailer. But dealership service could not reprogram it "right now" because some service people already left (it was close to 6 pm Saturday). So he assured me it will be fixed with no problems and I still get 2 years full warranty and up to 100k CPO drive-terrain coverage. That convinced me to signed finance papers, especially the price was very attractive. Then for two weeks I was waiting to pickup the car (title was still on the way in mail from Michigan). Was able to drive it just for a week and than had to wait one more week to get my registration in mail (sales guy probably got his bonus and went on vacation, other dudes lost my "proof of insurance papers" and no-one there gave a shit to properly complete all the documentation paperwork).

After I've got my registration I've drew a car one more week before air suspension died. Had only one decent trip to Vermont.
Overall around 850 miles since accepting delivery on a car.

On same day (Jan 15th) I've dropped it at another Jeep dealership nearby to fix this.(sales dealership is too far from where I work/live)
About this I've posted here earlier, as I told - the service guy was giving me an attitude that I did not take the car to "sales dealership".
So I've decided to sent an e-mail the "sales dealership" asking to provide me with all the service records they did on pre-sale.
Not to my surprise that "transport mode" sales dude was talking about a moth ago appeared to be BS:

Basically instead of doing "full drain/refill service" or swapping a compressor - the "sales dealership" just changed the fuse .. twice. Well done.
After two weeks of driving the air suspension died.

But the most hilarious thing was what "service dealership" told my friend when he was picking up my car:

Service guy: "Air line got frozen, compressor overloaded and fuse has blown. It may/will happen again"
My friend: "And how to fix it permanently?"
Service guy: "Don't buy Jeep with Air Suspension"

My friend is a good tech guy, drives mint V8 BMW X6 and does most of its service by himself.
He asked a bunch of questions about what kind of work has been done. Service guys said "It was a STAR-case - swapped a blown fuse and refilled the system with nitrogen".
My friend also asked did they vacuum the system to remove all the water (ambient humidity) from it (similar to what is done with AC system before recharging it with refridigirant). The answer was "No, it is not a part of air suspension maintenance process".

By design - they don't have any service equipment to do this kind of job (vacuuming the air lines). However the system description says that there is desiccant in ASU unit (compressor assembly with valve block and pneumatic connections). Looks like Jeep has to change it, but refuses do to cost. Hoping STAR-case procedure of "deflate and refill the nitrogen" will fix the issue and keep it going until the warranty runs out.

·
Registered
121 Posts
What two dealerships for sales and service did you use so I can avoid them?

·
Registered
2019 WK2 Trailhawk 5.7
16 Posts
What two dealerships for sales and service did you use so I can avoid them?
Sales: Imperial Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram in Mendon, MA
Service: Herb Chambers Chrysler Dodge Jeep RAM FIAT of Danvers, MA

So this morning started up my car to drive it to work. Since it was picked up from "service dealership" it was just standing in the garage for two weeks.
And guess what?

IT DOES NOT WORK...AGAIN
The car did less than 15 miles since Air Suspension was "serviced".

Stuck in park mode again, with the message "Service Air Suspension Immediately"
Can not describe my feelings at the moment, have to choose to which dealership to go now again.

P.S.
It is also warm today here in Massachusetts, so the fuse likely blew again while the car was sitting in a garage.
Air suspension readjusts the pressure time to time even if car is parked, so maybe some days were freezing when I was away.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Sales: Imperial Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram in Mendon, MA
Service: Herb Chambers Chrysler Dodge Jeep RAM FIAT of Danvers, MA

So this morning started up my car to drive it to work. Since it was picked up from "service dealership" it was just standing in the garage for two weeks.
And guess what?

IT DOES NOT WORK...AGAIN
The car did less than 15 miles since Air Suspension was "serviced".

Stuck in park mode again, with the message "Service Air Suspension Immediately"
Can not describe my feelings at the moment, have to choose to which dealership to go now again.

P.S.
It is also warm today here in Massachusetts, so the fuse likely blew again while the car was sitting in a garage.
Air suspension readjusts the pressure time to time even if car is parked, so maybe some days were freezing when I was away.
I can understand your frustration. I’ve been to several Jeep dealers for sales or service over the past 8 years and pretty much all of them around our area are horrible.
I recently bought mine at McGovern in Newton. Decent service. Sales not so good.

·
Registered
2019 WK2 Trailhawk 5.7
16 Posts
Minor update:
Called to "service dealership" in Danvers, MA (decided to give them one more chance). Told that the car after their service only made 15 miles back to the garage until suspension failed again. Then I was put on hold for a while after which I was told that they are "booked till the end of the month" (oh really ?! :mad:) and "try go to the dealership which sold me the car".
Got an appointment at Imperial in Mendon, MA for Tuesday, will see whats next...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts