Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 20 of 252 Posts

·
Premium Member
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A review and intro in the powerful AlfaOBD Software for diagnostics and configuration changes on your WK2 (and other FCA vehicles)

So I decided to give the AlfaOBD software a shot.

For those not aware, this is a software package for Windows or Android devices that allows you to run diagnostics on almost every module and electronic device in your FCA vehicle and change many options that before, only the dealer could do (for a charge).

There is another option (DiagFCA) as well and I have no idea if AlfaOBD is better or worse. I emailed some questions to both companies and never heard back from DiagFCA, but did from AlfaOBD, so that is what pushed me the way I went. I welcome feedback from those who have used DiagFCA to help others compare and contrast the two options.

Suggest, before attempting any of this be sure to skim through the instructions/help pdf on getting started.
ANDROID http://www.alfaobd.com/AlfaOBD_Android_Help.pdf
WINDOWS http://alfaobd.com/AlfaOBD_Help.pdf

You will need a compatible OBD interface. Check out the AlfaOBD page for more details and recommendations.
https://www.alfaobd.com

I tried both the new PLX Kiwi4 and a cheapo generic from Amazon that was on a lightning deal at the time (Vgate iCar Pro Bluetooth 4.0). Amazingly, I had MUCH better luck with the cheap VGate option!!! The Kiwi4 kept disconnecting randomly.

However, if I had it to do over I would just go with the one AlfaOBD recommends (OBDLink MX).
Because I did not have the recommended interface I wasn’t able to connect to a few of the modules and would need an additional adapter.

Also, for those of you with a 2018+
You will need a Security Gateway Bypass module, either the Zautomotive T-bypass, double or single bypass or equivalent.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Honestly, I am blown away with what all you can access with this thing.

Essentially right out of the gate, even with just the cheap OBD interface and software you can access any module in your vehicle that works on the main Can Bus. You can check for and clear trouble codes, run diagnostics and where applicable, change features.

For example, I was able to connect to the lighting system and found that I have had an intermittent error with the left headlight auto leveling system. Because it had not happened enough times (yet) it was not showing any trouble codes in the EVIC, but I was still able to see the error code in the lighting module itself.

I then proceeded to test the auto leveling system through the software and when I was satisfied that it does not appear it will be an ongoing issue, I cleared the code in the lighting module….

Most modules include a long list of tests as well from activating lights, to turning on / off pumps or relays, just about any test you can think of… I spent a lot more time sitting there with an android tablet activating random lights than I probably should admit but it was kind of fun to just click a button and watch a single light activate or a headlight washer spray…. :lol:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Most of what you will want access to will be either the ECU, TCM or BCM. ECU/ TCM for main drive related codes and diagnosing and BCM for 95% of the options you may want to change.

A few items will be in other modules, for example:

- Radio Hub for programming additional Key Fobs or relearning TPMS sensors (Require 4 digit code from dealer)

- Instrument cluster – Disable Seat Belt Warning Chime (although you can do this without any software, but if not already done, it’s a quick and easy change through AlfaOBD as well).

But I spent most of the time in the BCM / Body Control Module.

What you can adjust may vary some by year, but a few of the items that I thought people on the forum may find interesting…

• Disable Travel Link
• Disable DRL dropout with blinker
• Change tail light function to euro (amber blinker)
• Change Tire Size
• Update Tire Pressure (TPMS) thresholds
• Enable factory rear fog lights
• Disable active noise cancelling (for those adding an aftermarket sub)
• Roll front windows down with the key fob
• Change access to SRT / off road pages
• Enable paddle shifters
• Enable power fold mirrors
• Enable fog lights
• Enable tow package
• Fog lights remain on with high beams
• Enable HIDs
• Enable led usage (without the need of resistors)
• Change the number of wipes after releasing windshield washer spray
• Adjust noise cancelling sensitivity / harmonics
• Enable puddle lamps
• Change the brightness of head / tail lamps for illuminated approach
• Disable panic button on key fobs
• Adjust brightness of DRL (appears to not work on led DRL, assuming its for those using halogens)
• Adjust auto headlights on / off thresholds
• Change the length of spray for headlight washers
• Change how often the headlight washers activate
• Change calibration for fuel tank level sensor (what % = full, what % does the low fuel warning activate)
• Activate factory vehicle theft alarm
• Monitor the hood with vehicle theft alarm
• Display compass heading in EVIC
• Enable auto high beams
• Enable auto dimming mirrors
• Change dual zone air conditioner system to a single zone
• Enable / disable DRLs, change the lights used
• Add rearview camera
• And much more!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I did find it strange that even though my GC came with the Theft Alarm system active, it was NOT set to monitor if the hood popped. But it does now!

Remember, this just activates it, if the function requires additional hardware, it will have to be installed as well…. (such as rear fog lights, auto fold mirrors, auto high beams, remote start, add paddle shifters or tow package wiring, etc).

This just keeps you from having to go to the dealer to get it “activated”….

The above is just a list that I thought others may find interest in, for me, I only needed a few things but I can confirm the following work as I expected:

• DRL Dropout Disabled
• Front windows down with Key Fob
• LED Reverse / Brake / Turn Signals
• Disable Fog Lights Dropout
• Enable Hood Monitor with Vehicle Theft System (VTA)
• Disable Travel Link

I do plan to use it to activate the power folding mirrors as well (as soon as I get around to buying the hardware).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have attached the complete list of options as were seen in my BCM module. Again, not all of these items will work for a JGC as they use the same BCM on multiple vehicles and again, the options can change by year as well…

Oh, and another important note, the system does not have a “Return to stock” option!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Take note of everything you change. Its also a good idea to limit how many changes you make at a time and test them before moving on just to be safe.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For those who go the android app path, you can also upload all your settings and information from the various modules directly to Google drive. This is how I exported the attached list. It makes it a lot easier to find changes made and put it back if needed.

“To upload your System ID information (BCM) go to the "Tools" icon in the upper right corner. From there select "Upload to Google Drive", it will ask you to link to Google Drive. Link your Google Drive to Alfa. Select "Upload to Google Drive" and "Upload Faults and Status Log". Then select "Body_Chrysler_Info". Name the file to upload whatever you wish. Done! Now you can go to your Google Drive and read the system info a little easier.”

Another great resource for research and learning on this system and known working changes is over on Ram forums:

https://www.ramforum.com/threads/alfaobd.123982/

They did some great intro / walkthroughs as well

Android Getting Started

Windows Getting Started

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope this is useful to others and hope you have as much fun as I did.

Warning though, any changes you do at your own risk! I only tested a few items so far myself but reading through the Ram forum you will find a mixed bag of some working, and others not, and occasionally the change having adverse effects.

For example, CAN you reprogram the BCM to think you are driving an SRT even when you aren’t? Yes, yes you can. Will you get performance pages and other items you did not have before? Yep. Will EVERY function (such as drive modes) work? Nope.

Every adverse effect I have seen you can fix by just flipping the option back but still, if you are not comfortable exploring new paths, you may want to stick with other options.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks all, and please, anyone who does try new features, post up here with the results so those who ARENT comfortable blazing a new path can follow in your footsteps!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
57 Posts
So what US market engines does this tool support or discover?

It lists a number of monitoring and diagnostics functions yet their page doesn't list the Pentastar or either of the Hemi options for ECM support. I get the BCM commonality between FCA models but think this would have limited or no interest (maybe just for me) if you cannot do any advanced interaction with the ECM parameters FCA uses. I have other tools I can use for this based on OBDII protocols anyway. What else exists here Re ECM for the WK2? Anything for MDS on/off bits? TIA for any feedback.

·
Premium Member
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: So what US market engines does this tool support or discover?

It lists a number of monitoring and diagnostics functions yet their page doesn't list the Pentastar or either of the Hemi options for ECM support. I get the BCM commonality between FCA models but think this would have limited or no interest (maybe just for me) if you cannot do any advanced interaction with the ECM parameters FCA uses. I have other tools I can use for this based on OBDII protocols anyway. What else exists here Re ECM for the WK2? Anything for MDS on/off bits? TIA for any feedback.
Yeah their website is definitely incomplete, which is both why I was hesitant to try it and why I decided that once I did and liked it, I should do a write up for others.

The Pentastar ECM is supported. You can't edit any of the variables for it (would need an unlocked ECM and engine tuner such as the HP model) but you can see all the parameters, diag info and run diagnostic tests.

See attached for everything it monitors, you can either have it run a report for a static look (like this) or set up real time monitoring.

I will try to get some screen shots of the diagnostic functions / tests supported soon.

Attachments

Reactions: hpc3

·
Premium Member
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Cant turn off MDS, thats part of the ECM control and the ECM is locked unless you send it off to one of the companies who can unlock them for everything....

I did get some screenshots though.

Here are all the modules it can connect to in my 2018 (a handful I cant connect to without an adapter since I did not have the preferred interface, but the high majority I can).

And here are all the diag options / triggers / tests capable in the ECM...

I also connected to the ABS module to look around...

As well as the Adaptive Cruise module, though not much to see here....

And finally, see attached for the diag info available from the Trans....

Attachments

Reactions: scostuart and hpc3

·
Registered
Cherokee Trailhawk
382 Posts
I really wish they had an iOS compatible software solution, but I do have an older Sony Xperia phone with the software option listed above.

I’ve never been able to get anything that actually accessed Jeep products. I could get engine information by putting in Dodge, Chrysler or Fiat and my engine size an MY. This was back when I had a 2011 WK3, and the same for a 2016. Cherokee TH.

Jeep every protective of everything yet one of the most modified vehicles out there.

This looks fantastic.

Do you mind sharing the costs of the software or app. I have the Bluetooth OBD2 adapter that I use for another iOS app. Works great but as stated just for the engine.

I would love to get the other stuff. It makes trouble shooting a lot easier when not under warranty.

·
Premium Member
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I really wish they had an iOS compatible software solution, but I do have an older Sony Xperia phone with the software option listed above.

. . . . .

Do you mind sharing the costs of the software or app. . . . . .
Yeah I too would have preferred an IOS app, I ended up digging out an old small Android tablet on 5.1 lollipop. Worked really well actually.

The android version was $49 although they do have a limited free trial.

The free trial really only allows you to test your adapter and see what all you can access, it doesn't actually let you test or change anything.

I did start with the free trial to make sure both my adapter and the older OS Android tablet would work... Could have went with the PC software as a backup option had the tablet not worked so well.

·
Premium Member
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
GC TH
424 Posts
Great write up. This is on my list of “do wants!”

·
Registered
21 Posts
I was looking around in the trial version while I wait for my OBDLink and noticed there was an option in the radio menu that controls “front seat video playback”. Wondering if this might be a way to get around having to buy a Lockpick for people who only want to enable the video in motion/ navigation address unlock. Would be nice if it would work and didn’t just enable/disable the video playback while parked.

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 WK2 Overland
1,565 Posts
Thanks for the review. I've been holding off on buying the PC version as I purchased the AppCar software when it became available. AlfaODB is much more complete though or so it seems.

·
Premium Member
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was looking around in the trial version while I wait for my OBDLink and noticed there was an option in the radio menu that controls “front seat video playback”. Wondering if this might be a way to get around having to buy a Lockpick for people who only want to enable the video in motion/ navigation address unlock. Would be nice if it would work and didn’t just enable/disable the video playback while parked.
Interesting! Great find!

I am betting that it only enables it in general and doesn't get around in motion limitations, BUT, I could be wrong.

Unfortunately for either of my model years I would have to have the "Blue" adapter listed so I cant test it out right now.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Interesting! Great find!

I am betting that it only enables it in general and doesn't get around in motion limitations, BUT, I could be wrong.

Unfortunately for either of my model years I would have to have the "Blue" adapter listed so I cant test it out right now.
That was my initial thought as well. We can be hopeful, definitely would save some people money if it does override the need for a Lockpick.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Are there any guides for how to enable certain items (ie, Global down for windows, DRL dropouts, etc)?
From my own experience with this topic there are so many threads on this that it can be confusing. The OPs initial comments do a very good job at offering some insite into using this software. I know for me it all seemed a little confusing reading all the different threads related to changing settings. My advice is to read the beginning of this thread again and then download the trial version. You do not have to hook your car up to the software to browse through it and get an understanding of how it works. Once you start clicking around in alfaobd things will start to get a little less confusing and you can start to learnwjat the different programming options do.

·
Registered
25 Posts
From my own experience with this topic there are so many threads on this that it can be confusing. The OPs initial comments do a very good job at offering some insite into using this software. I know for me it all seemed a little confusing reading all the different threads related to changing settings. My advice is to read the beginning of this thread again and then download the trial version. You do not have to hook your car up to the software to browse through it and get an understanding of how it works. Once you start clicking around in alfaobd things will start to get a little less confusing and you can start to learnwjat the different programming options do.
So I have Global Down enabled, but when I try to do it, it does not work. Is there something else I need to edit/configure for it to actually work?

·
Registered
2019 WK2 Limited X
6 Posts
I wonder if they will eventually figure out how to bypass the firewall without the need for the additional device.

1 - 20 of 252 Posts