Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

141 - 160 of 195 Posts

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
I have just purchased a MY18 TH, the spare FOB doesnt work (batteries not the issue) can I use AlfaOBD to program the spare FOB?

·
Registered
545 Posts
I have just purchased a MY18 TH, the spare FOB doesnt work (batteries not the issue) can I use AlfaOBD to program the spare FOB?
IIRC Hellcat based platforms are only allowed 3 keys, in the BCM. RED. RED. BLACK.

To program another key, you need to clear all 3 keys, from the network, then program all 3 keys, again.

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
Another question any tips disconnecting the SWB Module connectors? I have depressed the plastic Tab but doesnt seem to pull out easily.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Another question any tips disconnecting the SWB Module connectors? I have depressed the plastic Tab but doesnt seem to pull out easily.

View attachment 223763
Just added the ZAuto bypass. The connectors are in there, real tight. I hated to do it, but I depressed each tab and pulled on the wire harness, for each. They eventually came out.

·
Registered
2018 Limited
229 Posts
Ok I have the same bypass, and was reluctant to pull on the wires. Good to know they come out eventually that way..
Yep...me too...my fingertips were sore after getting them out. It actually influenced me to just leave the bypass in until I need to restore (i.e. for a major dealer issue)...hopefully never!

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
Bod, is the main issue that you need a pin to program the FOB? I might give "Chrysler Pin Puller" a crack to overcome this..

·
Registered
545 Posts
Bod, is the main issue that you need a pin to program the FOB? I might give "Chrysler Pin Puller" a crack to overcome this..
Yes. You need a pin, for the RF Hub.

Pin puller is great. Free download. $15 to get your PIN.

Dealer should provide it, for free.

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
PIN Puller (100 tokens) wouldnt work with my BCM for some reason. I have asked them for support.
Btw for future reference, in terms of removing connectors I found by gently inserting a flat nose screwdriver in lip they came out very easily without putting strain on wires.

·
Registered
2020 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
39 Posts
For newer models like 2019/2020 can Alfaobd change DRL locations? And if so, what locations can it be selected for DRLs? As shipped it currently uses the low beams. I’d like to switch it over the park/turn signal and install a switchback. I saw where Appcar can change the park/turn bulbs to LEDs without the need for resistors, I expect Alfaobd can do the same?

·
Registered
545 Posts
For newer models like 2019/2020 can Alfaobd change DRL locations? And if so, what locations can it be selected for DRLs? As shipped it currently uses the low beams. I’d like to switch it over the park/turn signal and install a switchback. I saw where Appcar can change the park/turn bulbs to LEDs without the need for resistors, I expect Alfaobd can do the same?
Yes, Alfa will allow you to change DRL locations:

Screenshot_20200505-143321_AlfaOBD.jpg

You can also change the lamp to LED, as you wish.

Also, with the last update, MY19 and MY20 were added to the Powernet.

I've made changes to my MY19 GCTH with no issues. At the time, I just chose MY17 and went for it. You will need a security bypass. I use the Autel Chrysler bypass... about $25 on ebay. Works like a charm:

View attachment 223807

Bob

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
Just been told by developer new version to be released in a couple of days, My BCM isnt fully supported atm and will be after this update.

·
Registered
4 Posts
A review and intro in the powerful AlfaOBD Software for diagnostics and configuration changes on your WK2 (and other FCA vehicles)

So I decided to give the AlfaOBD software a shot.

For those not aware, this is a software package for Windows or Android devices that allows you to run diagnostics on almost every module and electronic device in your FCA vehicle and change many options that before, only the dealer could do (for a charge).

There is another option (DiagFCA) as well and I have no idea if AlfaOBD is better or worse. I emailed some questions to both companies and never heard back from DiagFCA, but did from AlfaOBD, so that is what pushed me the way I went. I welcome feedback from those who have used DiagFCA to help others compare and contrast the two options.

Suggest, before attempting any of this be sure to skim through the instructions/help pdf on getting started.
ANDROID http://www.alfaobd.com/AlfaOBD_Android_Help.pdf
WINDOWS http://alfaobd.com/AlfaOBD_Help.pdf

You will need a compatible OBD interface. Check out the AlfaOBD page for more details and recommendations.
AlfaOBD

I tried both the new PLX Kiwi4 and a cheapo generic from Amazon that was on a lightning deal at the time (Vgate iCar Pro Bluetooth 4.0). Amazingly, I had MUCH better luck with the cheap VGate option!!! The Kiwi4 kept disconnecting randomly.

However, if I had it to do over I would just go with the one AlfaOBD recommends (OBDLink MX).
Because I did not have the recommended interface I wasn’t able to connect to a few of the modules and would need an additional adapter.

Also, for those of you with a 2018+
You will need a Security Gateway Bypass module, either the Zautomotive T-bypass, double or single bypass or equivalent.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Honestly, I am blown away with what all you can access with this thing.

Essentially right out of the gate, even with just the cheap OBD interface and software you can access any module in your vehicle that works on the main Can Bus. You can check for and clear trouble codes, run diagnostics and where applicable, change features.

For example, I was able to connect to the lighting system and found that I have had an intermittent error with the left headlight auto leveling system. Because it had not happened enough times (yet) it was not showing any trouble codes in the EVIC, but I was still able to see the error code in the lighting module itself.

I then proceeded to test the auto leveling system through the software and when I was satisfied that it does not appear it will be an ongoing issue, I cleared the code in the lighting module….

Most modules include a long list of tests as well from activating lights, to turning on / off pumps or relays, just about any test you can think of… I spent a lot more time sitting there with an android tablet activating random lights than I probably should admit but it was kind of fun to just click a button and watch a single light activate or a headlight washer spray…. :lol:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Most of what you will want access to will be either the ECU, TCM or BCM. ECU/ TCM for main drive related codes and diagnosing and BCM for 95% of the options you may want to change.

A few items will be in other modules, for example:

- Radio Hub for programming additional Key Fobs or relearning TPMS sensors (Require 4 digit code from dealer)

- Instrument cluster – Disable Seat Belt Warning Chime (although you can do this without any software, but if not already done, it’s a quick and easy change through AlfaOBD as well).

But I spent most of the time in the BCM / Body Control Module.

What you can adjust may vary some by year, but a few of the items that I thought people on the forum may find interesting…

• Disable Travel Link
• Disable DRL dropout with blinker
• Change tail light function to euro (amber blinker)
• Change Tire Size
• Update Tire Pressure (TPMS) thresholds
• Enable factory rear fog lights
• Disable active noise cancelling (for those adding an aftermarket sub)
• Roll front windows down with the key fob
• Change access to SRT / off road pages
• Enable paddle shifters
• Enable power fold mirrors
• Enable fog lights
• Enable tow package
• Fog lights remain on with high beams
• Enable HIDs
• Enable led usage (without the need of resistors)
• Change the number of wipes after releasing windshield washer spray
• Adjust noise cancelling sensitivity / harmonics
• Enable puddle lamps
• Change the brightness of head / tail lamps for illuminated approach
• Disable panic button on key fobs
• Adjust brightness of DRL (appears to not work on led DRL, assuming its for those using halogens)
• Adjust auto headlights on / off thresholds
• Change the length of spray for headlight washers
• Change how often the headlight washers activate
• Change calibration for fuel tank level sensor (what % = full, what % does the low fuel warning activate)
• Activate factory vehicle theft alarm
• Monitor the hood with vehicle theft alarm
• Display compass heading in EVIC
• Enable auto high beams
• Enable auto dimming mirrors
• Change dual zone air conditioner system to a single zone
• Enable / disable DRLs, change the lights used
• Add rearview camera
• And much more!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I did find it strange that even though my GC came with the Theft Alarm system active, it was NOT set to monitor if the hood popped. But it does now!

Remember, this just activates it, if the function requires additional hardware, it will have to be installed as well…. (such as rear fog lights, auto fold mirrors, auto high beams, remote start, add paddle shifters or tow package wiring, etc).

This just keeps you from having to go to the dealer to get it “activated”….

The above is just a list that I thought others may find interest in, for me, I only needed a few things but I can confirm the following work as I expected:

• DRL Dropout Disabled
• Front windows down with Key Fob
• LED Reverse / Brake / Turn Signals
• Disable Fog Lights Dropout
• Enable Hood Monitor with Vehicle Theft System (VTA)
• Disable Travel Link

I do plan to use it to activate the power folding mirrors as well (as soon as I get around to buying the hardware).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have attached the complete list of options as were seen in my BCM module. Again, not all of these items will work for a JGC as they use the same BCM on multiple vehicles and again, the options can change by year as well…

Oh, and another important note, the system does not have a “Return to stock” option!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Take note of everything you change. Its also a good idea to limit how many changes you make at a time and test them before moving on just to be safe.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For those who go the android app path, you can also upload all your settings and information from the various modules directly to Google drive. This is how I exported the attached list. It makes it a lot easier to find changes made and put it back if needed.

“To upload your System ID information (BCM) go to the "Tools" icon in the upper right corner. From there select "Upload to Google Drive", it will ask you to link to Google Drive. Link your Google Drive to Alfa. Select "Upload to Google Drive" and "Upload Faults and Status Log". Then select "Body_Chrysler_Info". Name the file to upload whatever you wish. Done! Now you can go to your Google Drive and read the system info a little easier.”

Another great resource for research and learning on this system and known working changes is over on Ram forums:

AlfaOBD

They did some great intro / walkthroughs as well

Android Getting Started

Windows Getting Started

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope this is useful to others and hope you have as much fun as I did.

Warning though, any changes you do at your own risk! I only tested a few items so far myself but reading through the Ram forum you will find a mixed bag of some working, and others not, and occasionally the change having adverse effects.

For example, CAN you reprogram the BCM to think you are driving an SRT even when you aren’t? Yes, yes you can. Will you get performance pages and other items you did not have before? Yep. Will EVERY function (such as drive modes) work? Nope.

Every adverse effect I have seen you can fix by just flipping the option back but still, if you are not comfortable exploring new paths, you may want to stick with other options.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks all, and please, anyone who does try new features, post up here with the results so those who ARENT comfortable blazing a new path can follow in your footsteps!!!
New to the forum and alfaobd so hopefully I'm replying to this correctly. I've used the Vag-Com Ross-Tech on my previous Audi for several mods. Currently I have a 2020 Ram Limited that I'm waiting on the Security Bypass Cable, and a 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk, that I'm wanting to enable (if possible) to use the Key Fob to control the up/down windows features if is supported. Can anyone share which module it's found in or the walk thru the steps for me to see if it's supported. Has anyone done or tested this on a 2017 Grand Cherokee or Ram 1500. Another question if anyone has the answer to is if Alfaobd has a mod to enable the suspension Entry/Exit feature like the Jeep does to automatically lower the suspension when turning off engine and exiting. Would like the RAM to do it the same way the Jeep does. Thanks in Advance.
Can y

·
Registered
4 Posts
New to the forum and Alfaobd so hopefully I'm replying to this correctly. I've used the Vag-Com Ross-Tech on my previous Audi for several mods. Currently I have a 2020 Ram Limited that I'm waiting on the Security Bypass Cable, and a 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk, that I'm wanting to enable (if possible) to use the Key Fob to control the up/down windows features if is supported. Can anyone share which module it's found in or the walk thru the steps for me to see if it's supported. Has anyone done or tested this on a 2017 Grand Cherokee or Ram 1500. Another question if anyone has the answer to is if Alfaobd has a mod to enable the suspension Entry/Exit feature like the Jeep does to automatically lower the suspension when turning off engine and exiting. Would like the RAM to do it the same way the Jeep does. Thanks in Advance.

·
Registered
545 Posts
New to the forum and Alfaobd so hopefully I'm replying to this correctly. I've used the Vag-Com Ross-Tech on my previous Audi for several mods. Currently I have a 2020 Ram Limited that I'm waiting on the Security Bypass Cable, and a 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk, that I'm wanting to enable (if possible) to use the Key Fob to control the up/down windows features if is supported. Can anyone share which module it's found in or the walk thru the steps for me to see if it's supported. Has anyone done or tested this on a 2017 Grand Cherokee or Ram 1500. Another question if anyone has the answer to is if Alfaobd has a mod to enable the suspension Entry/Exit feature like the Jeep does to automatically lower the suspension when turning off engine and exiting. Would like the RAM to do it the same way the Jeep does. Thanks in Advance.
GLOBAL WINDOWS DOWN, yes... Jeep and RAM.

Found in BCM.

See post 1, of this thread:

MY17 Jeep no bypass necessary.

GLOBAL WINDOWS UP, no... Jeep, or RAM. Chrysler disabled GLOBAL WINDOWS in 2013.

I've added this to my MY19 Grand Cherokee TH.

Your RAM would have to have full OEM air suspension for the exit convenience to work... if it's even an option in the RAM BCM.

141 - 160 of 195 Posts