Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2015 WK2 3L Overland
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It looks like with the latest update yesterday, AlfaOBD can now write VIN's to ECU's, in addition to injector codes. A few on the ram1500diesel forum have tried it successfully on secondhand ECU's. Barring any unforeseen roadblocks, this looks to be a breakthrough for those who want to safeguard their GDE tunes by buying a junkyard ECU for dealer visits.

I picked up a junkyard ECU from another GC the other day. I'm going to attempt the swap and AlfaOBD write on my next day off, probably Sunday.

·
Registered
847 Posts
It looks like with the latest update yesterday, AlfaOBD can now write VIN's to ECU's, in addition to injector codes. A few on the ram1500diesel forum have tried it successfully on secondhand ECU's. Barring any unforeseen roadblocks, this looks to be a breakthrough for those who want to safeguard their GDE tunes by buying a junkyard ECU for dealer visits.

I picked up a junkyard ECU from another GC the other day. I'm going to attempt the swap and AlfaOBD write on my next day off, probably Sunday.
Great news....please keep us posted on how it went.

·
Registered
2015 WK2 3L Overland
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did the swap and reprogram today. The ECU I bought was out of a 2014 Summit; mine's a 2015 Overland. Dropped the used ECU in, put the ignition in "run" and fired up AlfaOBD. The red anti-theft LED next to the tach was constantly blinking, I assume it was due to the VIN mismatch. I also have the GDE TCM tune, so before I started I reverted back to the stock tune, just in case.

Took a photo of my injector codes off the front of the engine to do the programming; all my injectors are factory stock so the numbers on the label are still valid. Entered them one by one and they all took.

Entered the VIN and it took. Turned the ignition off and attempted to crank. It fired right up, it stayed running and I was able to drive off. Went around the block a couple times and nothing seemed out of the ordinary, at least for the stock tune. I'd call it a success at this point!

·
Registered
847 Posts
Did the swap and reprogram today. The ECU I bought was out of a 2014 Summit; mine's a 2015 Overland. Dropped the used ECU in, put the ignition in "run" and fired up AlfaOBD. The red anti-theft LED next to the tach was constantly blinking, I assume it was due to the VIN mismatch. I also have the GDE TCM tune, so before I started I reverted back to the stock tune, just in case.

Took a photo of my injector codes off the front of the engine to do the programming; all my injectors are factory stock so the numbers on the label are still valid. Entered them one by one and they all took.

Entered the VIN and it took. Turned the ignition off and attempted to crank. It fired right up, it stayed running and I was able to drive off. Went around the block a couple times and nothing seemed out of the ordinary, at least for the stock tune. I'd call it a success at this point!
Perfect. So where can we get a pre-AEM stock tuned ECM? Damn I wish I would've kept mine now.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I reprogrammed an ECU over the weekend using AlfaOBD and the info found on the Ram forum. I found an ECU from a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland to use in my 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude and had no issues. Just reprogrammed the vin and injector codes, cycled power, reset oil life indicator, forced a regen, and I was good to go!

I have driven roughly 50 miles since the install with no issues at all.

·
Registered
2015 WK2 3L Overland
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Other than the oil life indicator, the only thing I was worried about was the DPF regen strategy getting confused. I remember GDE saying something about setting the ECM to start a regen immediately since they didn't know the status of the DPF upon ECM installation.

I guess with AlfaOBD we can trigger the parked regen like the dealer can, so any discrepancies leading to a DPF full limp mode can be easily taken care of.

·
Registered
17 Sub OB/17 Ridge
1,105 Posts
This is good news if you had a spare ECU and didn't have FCA overwrite your stock ECU. It is too late for me and I really liked my GDE tune made the JGC run well. I have MRTune now from Canada and I can restore this tune should FCA overwrite my ECU but man I wish I knew this was available a month ago I would have never gone to the dealership unless I did what you guys did. Nice!

·
Registered
2015 WK2 3L Overland
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is good news if you had a spare ECU and didn't have FCA overwrite your stock ECU. It is too late for me and I really liked my GDE tune made the JGC run well. I have MRTune now from Canada and I can restore this tune should FCA overwrite my ECU but man I wish I knew this was available a month ago I would have never gone to the dealership unless I did what you guys did. Nice!
A month ago the roadblock was writing the VIN; AlfaOBD couldn't do it yet. There was hope of an update but nothing confirmed. The minute I found the update added that functionality, I nabbed a used ECM from a used parts dealer.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Anyone here using AlphaODB on a MY18+? I am having some problems with getting it to connect and want to check if the problem is with the bypass or other. I just need to compare some results I am getting on my bypass using a meter with someone else. Basically checking if there is perhaps a bad connection in the bypass.

Edit - never mind, I found that a fix is needed to the bypass module on the AlphaOBD website, will give that a try tonight. ;)

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
Will this Alpha gadget let me program/code a new key fob? The dealer here should have a mask and a gun.......

·
Registered
2015 Overland Diesel
25 Posts
Just want to share another successful reprogramming of a used/junkyard ECU. I swapped back to the stock transmission tune yesterday, swapped the used ECU in, programmed it with AlfaOBD and the Jeep's working fine with it. Just need to get the new update now and then swap in the good ECU again.

·
Registered
2015 Overland Diesel
25 Posts
Just want to share another successful reprogramming of a used/junkyard ECU. I swapped back to the stock transmission tune yesterday, swapped the used ECU in, programmed it with AlfaOBD and the Jeep's working fine with it. Just need to get the new update now and then swap in the good ECU again.
To update this, I've had the recall done and was able to switch back to the good ECU, however I couldn't reflash the transmission tune back to the tuned version so I think I've lost that. I flashed it back to stock before doing anything like the instructions said. The tool still says vin mismatch when trying to reflash it.

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
Is GDE not supporting the trans flash either? I wouldn't have thought that tune would upset the EPA.

·
Registered
953 Posts
To update this, I've had the recall done and was able to switch back to the good ECU, however I couldn't reflash the transmission tune back to the tuned version so I think I've lost that. I flashed it back to stock before doing anything like the instructions said. The tool still says vin mismatch when trying to reflash it.
Did you use the program to clear the programmer, then reload the tune to the programmer?

·
Registered
2015 Overland Diesel
25 Posts
Did you use the program to clear the programmer, then reload the tune to the programmer?
I tried, but the software gives an error message when trying to reload the GDE modified file to the tool. Looks like they have to change it for it to load on to the programmer, and we know that can't happen right now.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts