Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
But if there ever is a AEM patch released and you take in your vehicle any fix, they will want to apply the patch and it will again over write your Hot Tune.
FCA was forced by the EPA to offer a large incentive for us to get the AEM. I don't see any incentive being offered to get an AEM update, unless you're running the crappy original AEM.

·
Registered
847 Posts
FCA was forced by the EPA to offer a large incentive for us to get the AEM. I don't see any incentive being offered to get an AEM update, unless you're running the crappy original AEM.
I was thinking about a recall(EGR) or you wanting to take advantage of the extended warrantee on a failed emissions part and they see you don't have the latest AEM update, they will make their case that you need to have that done while in the shop for repairs. If you never go back to the dealership you are correct and will be just fine. I just can't trust the emissions junk to last or not be recalled in the future.

·
Registered
2015 GC Overland
38 Posts
Is there any ECU model years that could be incompatible? Perhaps based on physical attributes of the ECU or components?

I'm seeing some mention that they went to junkyards and were able to salvage MY14 ECU's for their MY15 or vice versa. Is there a possibility of MY18 not fitting or being backwards compatible (physically speaking) with a MY15 or MY11 not being forward compatible with a MY15?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hey guys – I been following this thread, and ones like it on other forums, and really looked forward to using AlphaOBD to write a new VIN and injector codes to a second ECU. I picked up a used ECU out of a 2015 Overland from a salvage yard that I figured would work fine in my 2014 Summit. Unlike some of the other people here, I am having a heck of a time getting the “new” used ECU to clear all its problems. I followed the detailed procedure on the ramforum using AlphaOBD to connect to the new ECU, write all 6 injector codes and the new VIN. Exited out of AlphaOBD, turned the vehicle off for 5 minutes, turned it back to run and here’s what I get; the dash flashes “Service Air Suspension System” and “Cruise/FCW unavailable Service Required”. I’ve cleared all the fault codes using AlphaOBD, put it back to sleep, and still no change. Same errors. The Jeep does startup and runs but I didn’t try to take it out with the existing errors on this “new” ECU. I uploaded copies of my working ECU config and the “new” ECU config to my google drive (EDC17_CHRYSLER_Info.log) and did a “stare and compare”.

The first thing that jumped out to me between the two configs are the VIN numbers. On the working ECU both the VIN – Current and the VIN – Original are identical (my VIN number). On the “new” ECU, the VIN – Current is the VIN I entered using AlphOBD (my VIN) and the VIN – Original is the one that came from the 2015 Overland. I thought they should both be the same after the AlphaOBD update, just like the working one. The procedure I was following from the ramforum showed they should be but I can’t get them to ever be the same. When using AlphaOBD to write my VIN number into the “new” ECU I always get a “procedure complete” message after hitting the start button, so it appears that it’s accepting the new VIN. All the problems clear and the Jeep runs just fine when I put my original ECU back in.

Can someone who’s done this before remember if the “new” ECU they programmed with AlphaOBD showed the same VIN numbers or different ones on the AlphaOBD status page? Thanks in advance for any help, advice or questions. I’m pulling out what’s left of my hair trying to make this work. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just
Hey guys – I been following this thread, and ones like it on other forums, and really looked forward to using AlphaOBD to write a new VIN and injector codes to a second ECU. I picked up a used ECU out of a 2015 Overland from a salvage yard that I figured would work fine in my 2014 Summit. Unlike some of the other people here, I am having a heck of a time getting the “new” used ECU to clear all its problems. I followed the detailed procedure on the ramforum using AlphaOBD to connect to the new ECU, write all 6 injector codes and the new VIN. Exited out of AlphaOBD, turned the vehicle off for 5 minutes, turned it back to run and here’s what I get; the dash flashes “Service Air Suspension System” and “Cruise/FCW unavailable Service Required”. I’ve cleared all the fault codes using AlphaOBD, put it back to sleep, and still no change. Same errors. The Jeep does startup and runs but I didn’t try to take it out with the existing errors on this “new” ECU. I uploaded copies of my working ECU config and the “new” ECU config to my google drive (EDC17_CHRYSLER_Info.log) and did a “stare and compare”.

The first thing that jumped out to me between the two configs are the VIN numbers. On the working ECU both the VIN – Current and the VIN – Original are identical (my VIN number). On the “new” ECU, the VIN – Current is the VIN I entered using AlphOBD (my VIN) and the VIN – Original is the one that came from the 2015 Overland. I thought they should both be the same after the AlphaOBD update, just like the working one. The procedure I was following from the ramforum showed they should be but I can’t get them to ever be the same. When using AlphaOBD to write my VIN number into the “new” ECU I always get a “procedure complete” message after hitting the start button, so it appears that it’s accepting the new VIN. All the problems clear and the Jeep runs just fine when I put my original ECU back in.

Can someone who’s done this before remember if the “new” ECU they programmed with AlphaOBD showed the same VIN numbers or different ones on the AlphaOBD status page? Thanks in advance for any help, advice or questions. I’m pulling out what’s left of my hair trying to make this work. :)
setup new ecm today and the new ecm shows original vin and also the new vin.

·
Registered
41 Posts
@Bob F. - Thanks for the response! I wanted to be sure that was the expected state.

After updating - new ECU VIN status shows:
VIN - Current: 1C4RJFJM0Exxxxx25
VIN - Original: 1C4RJFCM6Fxxxxx64

Where as my original ECU shows:
VIN - Current: 1C4RJFJM0Exxxxx25
VIN - Original: 1C4RJFJM0Exxxxx25

@Bounty Hunter - I appreciate the response. I’ve seen you active on many other AlphaOBD threads, both here and on the ramforum. I looked, however I couldn’t find the air suspension config as one of the options. It’s clearly a setting somewhere in the ECU I just couldn’t find it. Since the original ECU doesn’t report the same problem I figured it had to be a setting somewhere in the new ECU. Any help or guidance on where it might be or where I can research where it might be would be greatly appreciated.

Below are all the discrepancies between the original and new ECU (except for various voltages and temps).
Original ECU New ECU
VIN - Original: 1C4RJFJM0Exxxxx25 VIN - Original: 1C4RJFCM6Fxxxxx64
ECU Part Number: 68307635AC ECU Part Number: 68294460AH
Number of overrevs: 0 Number of overrevs: 1
Maximum engine speed: 0 rpm Maximum engine speed: 4360 rpm
Maximum engine speed counter: 0.00 msec Maximum engine speed counter: 380.00 msec
Last overrev odometer: 0.00 km Last overrev odometer: 284.60 km
5 Button Cruise Control: Yes 5 Button Cruise Control: No
ABS with ESP: Yes ABS with ESP: No
ABS: ABS with ESP ABS: Not defined

Once I get this working, I’ll publish a list of all the options & locations that I needed to set in the new ECU with AlphaOBD for a 2014 Summit. I guess a lot will depend on what features/functions are already enabled on the new ECU. Mine came from a 2015 Overland that was totaled in a wreck.

Thanks again for all the help!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Looking a little deeper, I found these options under:
-Body computer MY2014-17 PowerNet
- Car configuration change
  • P/T Chassis Net-ASCM Air Suspension Control Unit
  • P/T Chassis Net ACC/DASM Adaptive Cruise Control
I’ll try these on the new ECU see if they correct the errors on the air suspension and cruise control. I’ll keep looking for the ABS options and set to the same value as the original. I guess it’s just a process...
Screenshot_20200120-193741.png Screenshot_20200120-193741.png

·
Registered
953 Posts
Have you tried the VIN write options under both the engine and body computers?

And in the body computer, go to Car Configuration Change, and ensure everything is setup to match your Jeep. Specifically, go to VehConfig 3- Forward Collision Warning Present, select yes or no.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I’ve updated the engine VIN but not the VIN option in the Body computer. I’ll do that along with some of the other config updates to see If I can clear all the errors. Appreciate the tip on the FCW, I must of missed that one scrolling through a gazillion options in the Body computer section. :). Thanks again, I‘ll report back once I get a chance to put the new ECU back in later this week.

·
Registered
2015 WK2 3L Overland
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Did you change the BCM (body computer)? If not, nothing in there should have to be changed.

Make sure you've gone into every module available in AlfaOBD and read/cleared the codes. Each module retains codes. My air suspension module freaked out when I messed with it.

Try disconnecting the battery for a few hours.

What is the manufacture date of your 2014? There was a mid-year update to the auto cruise system; if you have an early build 2014, I'm wondering if that has anything to do with it. If the 2015 ECU is expecting a newer auto cruise system, it might become unhappy.

My successful swap used a 2014 Summit ECU in a 2015 Overland.

·
Registered
41 Posts
@MBDiesel - Thanks for helping out. I’ll give the battery disconnect a try. I went through all the body computer settings last night and verified they were all correct. I actually came to the same conclusion - it has to be something to do with new ECU since everything works fine with the original ECU - i.e. no body computer changes required. I’ll try the battery disconnect and check all other modules for faults. I did confirm last night that the air suspension will raise and lower manually when parked. I also started and ran the Jeep for 7-10 minutes to make sure there are no VIN mismatch issues. I read that it will only run for 3 minutes if there is a VIN mismatch.

This is an early model 2014 - manufactured in Dec 2013 that I purchased in Jan 2014. Also, one of the questions that GDE asked, along with the VIN and Injector codes, was whether it has ACC or not. Hummm...

Hopefully, the battery reset works otherwise I might be off looking for a new replacement ECU.

·
Registered
2015 summit ecodiesel 30,000km
5 Posts
Great news about the new update! Just wondering if the OBDLink Mx will work for recoding the ECU vin, or do I need the LX version?

Also do all versions of android software work with alfaobd? I’m going to buy a tablet to try this out but I don’t want to buy one that won’t work. Thanks!

21 - 37 of 37 Posts